Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

39E2CA3C-256A-4EB8-ABDB-95FF96CA5ACA.jpeg 9517AB71-6FDB-4AAE-A002-CF1022D7D2FE.jpeg 58877801-8C6B-4887-80AE-9161F637EC8C.jpeg E9EAF57D-A89A-4804-ADB9-07C5587D1174.jpeg
    theses are the distress experiments that Shawn performed on a variety of leathers for me to choose but I don’t know the exact leathers but you can ask him and show the pictures 8C9F809D-BE97-4454-AC8E-DE551ACF2444.jpeg
    the trucker on left the new one on right and they are different colors and you’re not nitpicking at all but you should confirm the following info with Shawn to confirm about “Mr Stephen’s” orders

The trucker was stock brown distressed stock goat with stock threads and lining

The other jacket (newer one) was distressed dark conic or “cognac” 1.2 premium goat with brown threads and brown #2 lining. It is noticeably nicer leather. This one was subject to several distressing after a handful of experiments as documented above

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

A6F32077-ACC8-49C6-AA45-6C11517097C3.jpeg
    these are the original picture which may be seal subject to 5* confirmation I was never sure since there were so many colors and finishes. C1815E7F-23BE-48C8-82CB-6255BF5284E1.jpeg C1815E7F-23BE-48C8-82CB-6255BF5284E1.jpeg 358DFD06-D2F9-44C8-A3EA-81812AFFBA78.jpeg CB28E75A-951F-431A-BBAD-481B83D0B2E5.jpeg 417BA4EC-12DB-4FB1-90D5-E208EC711761.jpeg
    I did think the first sample he showed me was seal but I never confirmed but some people here thought it was seal so again you have to confirm the picture colors with Shawn. This is what I thought was seal in the original 3 pictures Ultimately the jacket looked like this but it looks better in the flash pictures. I never knew if they were the same jackets honestly
    CC5AF9E7-9BC4-44CD-9EAD-8A14051829D0.jpeg

3. torfjord

torfjord One Too Many

I don’t get what straight in line or at an angle refers to? I’m thinking about ordering from 5star, is this something that can be customised?

I’m not arguing against the fit of your jackets as they all look amazing on you, but damn that’s a tight fit. I have a 40 inch chest and my tightest fitting jacket is 21.5, which feels almost skintight to me. Most are around 22.5 which I find to be comfortable without looking bulky. Don’t you feel restricted in a 22” p2p jacket?

4. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

It depends on the hight of the armholes. The Thedi and the FL both have pretty high armholes and yes, they do feel restrictive when worn with a sweater. Honestly, I can only wear those with a shirt.
    The Thedi I bought last week had a 23' ptp which was too wide imo. I think I'm going to try 22.5' for my next FL build because it would be nice to have a jacket I can comfortably wear with a knit sweater.

torfjord and Cornelius like this.
  5. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

This is described in this thread.
    https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/fivestar-leather-a2-jacket.21625/page-44#post-289143

If the sleeve is a straight extension of the shoulder, it becomes less boxy. Perhaps this can best be compared to a raglan cut. In contrast, a classic Sacco, where the shoulder / sleeve angle is quite large.

torfjord likes this.
  6. ton312

ton312

Every time I go and read anything on that forum...I’m reminded of what a shit hole it is. Looks like Shawn took a fair bit of abuse there which seems absurd to me. The simple fact remains that I know of no other maker on the planet that will allow the amount of production and design input that 5 Star offers. Yeah the materials are limited but I feel that is reflected fairly in the price point. I can almost guarantee if I joined that forum I would scorch the earth and be banned within a day.

7. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Screenshots of that would be welcome.

8. ton312

ton312

I’ll let any interested party read through it. There is a tremendous amount of condescension, accusation, etc...tbh it’s not worth the time. Kind of like that entire forum in general.

9. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

^^ nah I wouldn't bother because we know here how reliable the company has been for TFL members.

I meant when you make an acct at VLJ and deliver a good old fashioned trash talking

ton312 likes this.
  10. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

LOL
    I’m not an expert but yes, some of them are "special". But others seem to appreciate Shawn and gave him a lot of tips (even if it sometimes reminds me of counting beans).
    And others just chat instead of buying and trying. So yes it is special ;)

MoFo and ton312 like this.
  11. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I get the feeling if you decide for straight sleeve, then you should get a wider shoulder than your natural shoulder so the jacket is a bit off shoulder to look somewhat clean around the armpit, if that jacket in your shoulder size it will look like a mess on the underarm folds in neutral pose, ( i bought my denim jackets in my shoulder size, and every time I have to alter the sleeve to be more angled to look clean with my arm down on my side, if I buy them bigger I think I can get away with it sorta like round sweater look)

and the suit jacket is the opposite you should get it right at your shoulder size. and it will look perfect.

why would somebody prefer a clean look for a T pose, how often human pose that way, or are they leaping lemurs?

red devil, torfjord and ton312 like this.
  12. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart A-List Customer

Morning all. I’m wondering if any of you guys have any experience with FS distressed buffalo? I’m looking to order a 1930’s civilian jacket from Shawns site and I’m wondering how natural the distressing looks and the natural grain of the hide. I already have one of his Donigers in goat so I’m tossing up between the two. Any photos would be appreciated.

Garry

13. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

@Peacoat may I ask you to merge this thread with one of the other 5* threads?
    @Lord Flashheart there are a few other threads already where 5* Buffalo is discussed in depth.

JustinW likes this.
  14. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

Dude, after years of lurking in both, I joined FL and VLJ at the same time because I was trying to ID a jacket and finally decided to become an official participant. Just 2 totally different vibes man. At VLJ, I felt sorta out of place. Some snobby members there and some real nit pickers. And it seemed that the focus was perhaps more on Military jackets although to be fair, there is plenty of info on Civilian wear as well. Just seemed like a more formal and more uppity vibe there.

I really hate to generalize because I did get some good info there and I know there are many FL members who are also VLJ members. Personally, I just like the vibe here and the lack of condescension. Just a very welcoming group of people here in the lounge.

I suppose anyone who wants to go to a LOUNGE would have to be fairly chill anyway so perhaps its not surprising.

On 5*----from what I have SEEN (not yet experienced) the as custom makers they are unmatched as to the quality FOR THE MONEY. I won't be ordering a custom jacket from one of the reputed quality makers because it'll take a year or longer and cost at minimum 3-5 times the money. Will it be 3-5 times better the jacket???? That's the rub. Probably not. I'm the type that would rather pull a Ton312 and order 3 customs from 5* for the price of one "nicer jacket".

dannyk, leper-colony and ton312 like this.
  15. ton312

ton312

I won’t answer your question directly but I think one can gather my feeling on the subject.

Claybertrand likes this.
  16. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

Actions speak louder than words brother :)

ton312 likes this.
  17. ton312

ton312

My order is still standing (10 weeks) with Aero. They can always flip me. ;)

18. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Any news on the horse hide and non distressed buffalo offering?

19. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

When i emailed Shawn a week or so ago, he said horse hide is about a year away. I hope that turns out to be overly pessimistic.

Jin431 and ton312 like this.
  20. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

^^ unfortunate news there. Hope to see more of the buffalo, cmon guys you can do it