Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. ton312

ton312

This guy is en route...I have to put down the 5 star crack pipe now. But there’s one more I’m just itching to build....
    A3339FCE-22B9-4F07-81D6-8D15DA622A66.jpeg FD064BF6-AC0E-4BB8-88E7-55F785C59A74.jpeg 96C9B9F1-692E-42ED-AB10-8BC294C0DA60.jpeg
    C0F82EC5-90EA-448C-9630-EAD2BEFFBE05.jpeg BBD3565E-4913-492C-9101-17ACAC4334F8.jpeg

2. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

3. ton312

ton312

Not sure I see that but all three jackets are the same 1.4mm goat.

navetsea likes this.
  4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Ton, if they haven’t sent it yet, have them shape the ends of the waist straps!

Cornelius likes this.
  5. ton312

ton312

LOL. Yeah that needs to be done. It’s already shipped but I did notice the blunt cut. That’s actually how they appeared in the photos of the jacket I sent, which I had not noticed. I may have that done or even do it myself, depending on how much I care.

handymike likes this.
  6. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Started reading that thread, it only took two pages for Master Ken to start craping on the competition and making threats.
    What a surprise... That place really is the worst.

El Marro, Monitor, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  7. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

@ton312 how well do those shoulder gussets work on the jacket 5-star already made for you?

(I wear a 40L jacket with a 32" waist, and feel like I would need this feature in a well-fit jacket ordered from any maker, but don't want to bother if the gussets only seem to be for show & not function - make sense?)

8. ton312

ton312

Makes perfect sense. They are functional and in my view help the back design all around.

Cornelius likes this.
  9. MoFo

MoFo New in Town

Is actually Five Star the manufacturer of the AVI Jackets that copied the designs and sold them much cheaper?

10. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit One of the Regulars

It's not on their website yet, but I reached out to Shawn and he confirmed that he does offer a Dubow A-2. I believe it's the 27798 (that's the one I inquired about and he didn't correct me). At present, he doesn't have horsehide. I asked when he thought he might; I haven't gotten a response. I've long desired a russet horseshide Dubow 27798, with knits in dull purple (I've even got the knits in a drawer at home ready to go.) Anybody hear anything about if or when he might offer horsehide for his jackets? Thanks.

ton312 likes this.
  11. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

they used to source from Brazil and with Covid no more supply is what I heard. So they either finding something new or waiting I guess for that tannery to fire up again

rockandrollrabbit likes this.
  12. leper-colony

leper-colony New in Town

It should be on the website soon I would think. He just mailed the first one beyond the test sample to me today. Yes, it is a Dubow 27798 as you mention above. He may have the right knits now, but I mailed him a set I had to be sure along with a zip. I thought I read somewhere that his feed back was a year for horsehide?

13. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

I think here you can find the most info about the Dubow: https://www.vintageleatherjackets.o...reproduction-j-a-dubow-mfg-co-a2.25097/page-7

14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

I don't get it, how can people expect a £100 jacket to have all the period details of an original A2 jacket. And when Shawn does incorporate those details into his design, they start complaining that he copied those details from some other A2 reproduction maker (who's copying the same original A2 contract).

Well, I don't get this obsession with period correctness anyway. But it looks to me like these people are just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Cornelius, ton312 and MrProper like this.
  15. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

I'm digging your foray into the snapped vintage cut cuffs................ Curious to see how you like this vs. the non button/snap cuffs on your first 2 jackets. Having heard varying reports of the 5* buttons/button fasteners/button holes being cheapish or not well done, I was wondering about just working around that whole possibility and going with Snaps. You can still have that vintage angled cuff cut or something else period specific and go with snaps. So this is cool to see.

This looks like you still got that GoodGal runnin around in your head. That was a cool jacket ;) Different back on the GoodGal as I recall than this new creation. Looks great though man. As always, can't wait for your full reveal upon receipt.

The holidays are going to have a BIG VOID in not being able to see you do any more creations.

It sucks that you're taking a hiatus (I'm betting/hoping you really aren't though :D).

ton312 likes this.
  16. ton312

ton312

Not too far off. I based this one loosely on a Horsehide Wards jacket Terry sent me a few years ago. That one was too small but I really loved it. I took some liberties with the design...
    9F81BBA1-5EB2-472A-9496-A3EB197DDD71.jpeg 1FA788A8-F205-4D8E-869B-6F960EF0786C.jpeg

17. automatic

automatic New in Town

WOW, that looks cool! Can't wait for the review and pics when you get it!

ton312 likes this.
  18. Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart A-List Customer

That is a peach of a ton123. Shawn usually makes these creations available on his website doesn’t he? I was planning on a 1930s civilian jacket but I might hold off and get one on your beauties. Well done mate.

ton312 and Claybertrand like this.
  19. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

5* should really have a TON COLLECTION by now.......... seriously...... the best Vintage non military designs they offer are all his!!!!!!!!

20. leper-colony

leper-colony New in Town

£247 lol