Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. rockandrollrabbit

rockandrollrabbit One of the Regulars

Dude, you win the internet today.

El Marro, Fonzie, Zoo and 2 others like this.
  2. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

Earth Scorched sir :p:D:D:p:D:D

ton312 and JustinW like this.
  3. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

it was once written somewhere. looked like a sack of potatoes during the war and must therefore look like a sack of potatoes today. since people used to only get what was in stock, it was probably a game of chance to look good. the question is why today?

4. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Looks like 5 Star are getting to grips with the ‘shoulder’ thing with their current A-2 project..posting over on VLJ..looks great I’d have one if I didn’t have an ELC Monarch already (1 A-2 is enough for me).

rockandrollrabbit likes this.
  5. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

but to be fair ... there are also some who look cool in their jackets and who fits well

Zoo, rockandrollrabbit and bn1966 like this.
  6. Monitor

Monitor

Usually when wearing a A-2 that's five sizes too small. Then you can hope to get some kind of silhouette outa that thing, otherwise it's a highway to Michelin man fit.

My favorite bit of movie trivia that in The Great Escape, McQueen looks cool despite the jacket, not because of it.

navetsea, torfjord and Zoo like this.
  7. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Had to pass my First A-2 on because it fittted like a straitjacket, lots of flattering comments given but it was a size too small. Went up a size..comfortable fit and hopefully not a sack like profile

Edward and Zoo like this.
  8. Fonzie

Fonzie One Too Many

LOL! I think this is the funniest and most accurate post I’ve read in years on the TFL!

navetsea, ton312, Zoo and 1 other person like this.
  9. Monitor

Monitor

Some of the VLJ members are grade a bigots. My IRL friend who used to be a regular contributor there & generally a very respected member due to his tremendous amount of knowledge on A-2's, had several times gotten crap for, basically, not being American. People'd call him out for stating a fact, saying crap like "How would YOU know?", even tho he was right.

StyleForum can be nasty but nothing comes close to some of the junk I've read on VLJ.

Authenticity, I guess? It's hilarious, in a way. Crap fit is the whole point of an A-2. It's made that way to fit ANYONE over ANYTHING. It's shapeless, angle-less, featureless bulb for a reason. I mean, it makes sense for a war garment. You don't wear it, you're shrouded by it. Who'd want to fuss with the fit when you gotta stay alive but whining about the shoulders actually not looking like a leather sack is funny.

dannyk, torfjord, nick123 and 5 others like this.
  10. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm not an A2 fan, nor do I own one, and some A2 buffs are total wankers, but there are quite a few people who have posted fit pictures I have seen that make them look pretty cool. I do prefer the G1 but the A2 can and does look good to some of us.

Edward, Peacoat and bn1966 like this.
  11. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I received my Five Stars jacket and it is very well made (a Sears long half-belt copy).

IMG_1503.jpg

Sears Hercules 1.JPG

Unfortunately a few details are wrong.

I asked for the belt to be removed so that's fine.

One item I clearly specified and got agreement on so I don't know how this happened, is the zip. The main zip is meant to finish 6 inches from the hem as per photo I sent. The zip I got ends at the bottom hem seam of the jacket changing the total look. (in this photo the zip toggle is left up a couple of inches) Also the cuffs I got were about two or three inches too long (compared to my very clear photo) - I think my ones are a copy of ton's extra long cuffs. I don't think they work for this pattern.

Anyway, these things happen, and I am not faulting the quality which is great. Ton's collar which I did request is terrific.

I wrote back advising Shawn of these issues and what arrangement we might come to. I am awaiting a response.

12. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

That's exactly how I feel about a2 jackets, not my thing. But then I see @nick123 in his GW and I think, I need one too!

Edit: typo

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    navetsea, dannyk, torfjord and 3 others like this.
  13. Why would the cuffs be made that long, Seb..?? Strange

14. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

It's odd. Perhaps someone wasn't paying attention to the photos. I did get photos sent before shipping and I should have picked these things. I didn't have my photos to compare and I looked at them on the small screen of my mobile phone so I didn't see the scale or details. So maybe it is my fault.

If Shawn says it is down to me it may be a fair cop. But this is a good lesson for others.

I'll give this one away and move on.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Cornelius likes this.
  15. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

I'd been emailing with Shawn last week about another new jacket. I sent him some revisions on the idea last Sunday and since then...nothing. Usually, I hear back from him in 1-2 days. I checked to see if there were any holidays going on in Pakistan but there do not appear to be any. I also resent the email just in case it got lost in the shuffle and nothing.

I understand that people have things going on or vacations, illness, etc. I'm not upset or anything, I'm just wondering if others are in contact with Shawn during this past week? Thanks

16. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yep, three times this week. Twice yesterday. Does this really need it's own thread? Why not stick into the existing Five Stars?

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  17. Hobbes1

Hobbes1 One of the Regulars

Because I didn't want it buried. I just wanted to know if the guy is working this week.
    I can delete the thread, if it's an eyesore for you.

18. Claybertrand

Claybertrand A-List Customer

Yeah......you can give it to me bro!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously though, I think it looks good. The zipper WOULD be better ending shorter by 6 inches but I think the cuffs are fine. The oversized cuffs and collar is its own look and I think it goes fine with this design. Not too attention grabbing or too far off the original design. I'd say you did pretty damn good overall. It was your first run after all!!!!! Is that the Seal Premium Goat?????

19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Errrr.. no. Thanks for the optimism but it's not what I wanted. This is my third Five Stars actually. I've greatly enjoyed the process to date. The leather is seal brown goat with dark undertone. The word premium is nonsense - all his goat is premium, it seems.

Claybertrand likes this.
  20. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Laughed out loud when I read this post, thanks man!

JustinW likes this.