Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. ton312

ton312

If he were smart he would remake it free of charge. The cuffs were not as you specified, the piping was off and the zipper placement was wrong. In the grand scheme this is a very small loss for him that would end up paying positive dividends if he gets it right. I hope he chooses the right path. This is the exact point where companies can succeed or fail.

2. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes, I think you are right. I am surprised that after my buying three jackets from him he is not taking more responsibility for this and working with me. I wonder if I should contact Paypal and send him back the jacket he made. I'm not especially concerned about money - it's more about the point of this.

El Marro, navetsea, red devil and 3 others like this.
  3. ton312

ton312

I agree. There is an undeniable level of responsibility, particularly if your model is reproducing something as it appears in pictures. I mean my entire endeavor with Shawn is based on these principles, along with my own mods and size specs. That should be where he hangs his hat, to be able to do that without fail, and when one occurs, correcting it quickly and fairly, in the same way we hold other makers here. I’m really hoping he decides to send you a revision, as you envisioned, quickly.

4. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

Same thing happened to me. I got 10% off next jacket. Was expecting olive green thread, was more of a light brown (khaki at best). What was more frustrating was there were parts of it done in green thread so his excuse made no sense. There was also the giraffe collar, which I caught in time but cost me an extra $30. And I had to surgically remove some tracing paper or tape that was left on one of pockets. Kind of nicked the leather here and there, but not too bad.

End of day, I could wear what he made me and it still looks good. So I didn't push it. But he probably won't see another order from me unless I'm just getting something stock.

red devil and Berto like this.
  5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

yeah the breast pocket is also too high on the copy, on the original pic the yoke is a bit low and the pocket is even lower, I think you're right they see some resemblance to Ton's and just use his pattern and make it longer not looking at the reference pic anymore, that zipper mistake is unforgivable, you can't stride with it zipped let alone sitting, it has to be replaced with shorter zip to be wearable
    I think adding a third decoration button to the cuff might solve the visual issue to a point.

Carlos840 and red devil like this.
  6. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

I guess you'll never know, but maybe you'd be able to pull it off. Just like this 'cool' chap. 9B5C2C05-500E-42F4-A23B-F640BB783477.png

7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I reckon they compare reasonably when if comes to the pocket and piping. I don't mind the small variation there. But sure, the pocket could drop by 2 cm and be perhaps 2cm narrower. But I don't have any measurements here to go by, just eye.

He did a great job with the fit and slightly narrower waist. I wasn't wanting an exact copy (I dislike the belt on the original) but the zip was a major issue. The cuffs may grow on me. Maybe I'll keep it.

Sears Hercules 1.JPG

%*.jpg

ton312, red devil and navetsea like this.
  8. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

LOL. Yeah, I think Ton and Mr Proper are the Shawn whisperers. They on a good roll with him. I said it a few pages back, but I was expecting to start seeing some not so perfect experiences. I know how much time I put into ordering mine (as well as many others who I learned from) and with some of the questions being asked by some of the more casual lookie loos, I could tell only a few had put in the same amount of time understanding the measurements, lingo, process, etc. Not saying that's what happened with Seb, his is clearly a poor mistake from 5*. And that's bound to happen too.

red devil and Marc mndt like this.
  9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yep, this one isn't language or confusion it is a fk up, pure and simple. I emailed Shawn about how long the zip needed to be and that it ended a certain distance in inches above the hem - a distance I specified. He answered - "Don't worry about the zip, it will be according to the photo." You can't do more than provide measurements and a photo and get a shared agreement via email.

But ordering anything on line is a risk and I knew that going in. Shawn probably hands this over the his people for manufacture and here is where the issues may begin. I am providing this mainly so others who want to order here get a sense of what the issues may be and how they are responded to.

I'm not happy with Shawn's email saying that these are small errors based on seeing different things in the photo.That is disingenuous and, I might say, a slippery move.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I can deal with the futuristic collar, but the asymmetric waist knit is pushing it too far:confused::eek:o_O the heck should that means or function?

red devil and Marc mndt like this.
  11. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I think Ton's and Mr. Proper's success is due to the detail measurement and details they attach with the order, I get this Shawn is not the guy who make the jacket he probably just passes on the order document to the people who make pattern as the orders pile up the less time they spend to read or give extra care for each order, so better if you just give a drawing with all measurement and specific in one file instead of back and forth through several e-mails.

here is a document I made to use to order my own jacket, I blank it out for a template purpose
    feel free to use it anyone :)

just draw details of the jacket on the blank jacket outline

the vest looking one is template i use to draw how I want the liner to look like ( inside pocket placement, inner kidney panel, facing, etc)
    jacket order template.png

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  12. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I only sent him one email and all measurements were provided. And agreed upon. What is strange is that he got seven measurements spot on and screwed up two. Mysterious. The only thing I could do more than this is draw a bloody jacket and put all measurements to him in a drawing which I know others have done and I would in future. The other jackets I got off him were all perfect so this one may be an anomaly.

Jin431, bn1966 and JustinW like this.
  13. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

I'm really sorry for you.
    The wrong zipper is really very annoying and has to be fixed. Although I don't know whether this can be done without a trace.
    Visually I like the jacket a lot better than the original.

JustinW, ton312 and Seb Lucas like this.
  14. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

As mentionned here, he is mainly taking the orders and passing them on. The pattern maker is a different person. We have to clarify a point regarding the front length on Monday then it will enter production.

I am considering my first incoming jacket as a mock-up, let's see how it comes out.

15. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

oh I just read the reaction for Seb's jacket, discount on the next order? what's that? how about discount on this current order to partially cover the cost for the zipper replacement in Aus cost to a brand new jacket just to make it wearable.

How would someone who just deliver a failed product promise to give discount on the next order assuming the client would confidently order another possibly failed again... and if the client don't order another then nothing will be done:confused:

16. ton312

ton312

I agree. Discount on next order is not a solution by any means.

17. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

yeah right, its 5*
    live up to the name otherwise change it to 3* :D

it is a leather jacket so it should be able to be zipped up while walking, it is not a leather blazer or cardigan

18. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

I am pretty sure a solution will be found. Anything else would surprise me ;)

19. Hh121

Hh121 Call Me a Cab

First I am very sorry that Shawn made mistake on Seb's jacket.(Still a great looking jacket !) But I have a different opinion about this, I think you guys been too harsh to 5star, we all admit the large part of the reason we choose to go to 5star is because of the cheap price, how much you paid for that jacket? I guess no more than $350, you can't even buy a mall jacket at this price, not to mention the build quality and custom pattern.
    It is absolutely reasonable to ask a top maker who charges a jacket around 1k to remake your jacket or refund if they made mistake, the expensive price also including the great customer service. For a $350 jacket, you just can not expect they did everything right. If they make a great jacket like the one Ton has that's the plus, if they missed few details that's ok, don't order from them and spend 1k on Aero, Johnson, Thedi, etc.....
    I am gonna send my leather to them and I wouldn't mad if they screwed up.

20. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

At $350, they already have more than a reasonable margin, add to this that any mistake you make is on you. I don't think that we are being harsh at all. A 10% discount on the next order is not a good answer for such a mistake.

navetsea likes this.