Five Star Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

No need for sarcasm. Combining threads is a common practice here when they deal with the same thing. Five Stars is a busy thread it would not be buried.

Peacoat and HoosierDaddy like this.
  2. Monitor

Monitor

No debate there, people should absolutely wear & love their A-2s and feel best ever in the world, they're just not my thing is all I mean. I personally care for the style less and less as time goes by and I think if it's an extremely easy fit to pull of if you like this type of jacket 'cause it's very forgiving and there's nothing about it that can look, well, bad. But as for me personally, I think I've seen like three people on TFL who really made the jacket work with Gav being one of them and the other two I can't recall who they were. :)

Zoo and JustinW like this.
  3. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

OOF, sorry to read this Seb...

Seb Lucas likes this.
  4. ton312

ton312

Ugh, I can’t help but feel responsible for the cuffs. I spec’d mine larger/taller than “usual” primarily b/c the are leather lined and it gives a gauntlet type feel. I wonder if that was a hangover from my pattern that was exaggerated even more? That said, those don’t bother me at all. The zipper is a problem though, especially with that length.

navetsea and Seb Lucas like this.
  5. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Love the russet, want to try goat, like the Dubow style, just got on the train :)
    If it doesn't work, so what, I've got more expensive shirts that I don't wear lol.

ton312, Imuricecreamman and Marc mndt like this.
  6. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman Practically Family

Love that Dubow A-2, but need confirmation on the color...Leather looks purple on my screen.

Dav likes this.
  7. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I'll let you know.

8. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

It's a shame they are not getting the curve of the piping right.
    They got it wrong on Ton's Arcadia copy, and they got it wrong on this one too.

Other than that and the few mistakes you mentionned it does look like a nice jacket.
    Agree that the cuffs look too long.

9. ton312

ton312

I don’t agree with that in my case but do see that with Seb’s jacket. If you compare the original to mine it’s awfully close. Bear in mind the Arcaidia is a copy as well, not an original jacket. If anything, the 5 Star is closer to the original than the GW. This is the original:
    0FC5C474-3CA6-47E4-A210-C4D600D91769.jpeg 13A4769E-A191-4146-97C0-985DAB5BD1DC.jpeg
    Arcaidia:
    1F5EB0FF-33B5-4BB5-AC00-97486C98216F.jpeg
    5 Star:
    9B0F2E37-6701-451D-9475-D129025F0920.jpeg
    I think the GW copy is closer to this jacket, which was labeled “campus”:
    B7CA7128-1F0A-4E81-8D23-128452BCE1DB.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  10. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

What color is the 5* ?

11. ton312

ton312

Red russet goat. In reality it’s a terra cotta/orange brown.

12. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I was comparing the Arcadia and your version, to be honest i had never seen pics of the original.
    I do agree that yours is closer to the original than the Arcadia, but i wrongly assumed you had given 5 Star a picture of the Arcadia and they had come up with their version of the curve, not knowing they were copying another original jacket.

For some reason i do prefer the 90 degree angle of the arcadia compared to the more open curve of the other two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Claybertrand and ton312 like this.
  13. ton312

ton312

Yeah I did not provide Shawn pics of the Arcaidia. I don’t think that would be the right thing to do for a number of reasons but most importantly it then becomes a copy of a copy.

El Marro and Carlos840 like this.
  14. Bahabp100

Bahabp100 One of the Regulars

So then how did you order it ? Pice by piece? Feature by feature?

15. ton312

ton312

See my previous post with the original 50’s design. Both the GW and 5 Star are based off that jacket.

16. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have moved this to the original Five Star thread.

If others have had contact with him this past week, perhaps they will speak up. But I believe Seb answered your question.

Edward and HoosierDaddy like this.
  17. MrProper

MrProper Practically Family

^^
    Contact via Facebook messenger works in any case.

18. Dav

Dav One Too Many

I had two emails this morning from Shawn.

19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I got an email message from Shawn about the mistakes in my jacket saying they are 'small errors' and happen because the photo isn't enough to base a jacket on.

I reminded Shawn that I had specifically asked for the zip to end higher up the jacket (specifying inches) and he had written back during the design process saying 'Don't worry it will be exactly according to the pictures." It wasn't.

Shawn is offering me a discount on the next jacket I have advised him that the mistakes were not small matters and I have asked what kind of discount.

The piping not being accurate actually doesn't bother me too much but I would probably highlight the matter if there was a next jacket.

El Marro, red devil and Berto like this.
  20. dlite90

dlite90 New in Town

Is it just me, or are the pockets on the cossack jacket ridiculousy high up? I've thought about buying one in russet goat but the pockets look really inconveniently placed.

Any owners care to comment?