Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Bluechel

Practically Family
2mm steer. I had a jacket made in this leather and had to sell it. More suitable for a bag, not a jacket. Felt like I was wearing a straight jacket!
Sad thing is that I'm well aware Pakistan can access nice steerhide.....

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
I think the main disconnect (as many have already pointed out) is the leather itself, in both thickness and appearance. The weight and look is just not what most of us are accustomed to and tends to say “mall jacket” initially at least. There is a break in period for any of us now to see how the jacket responds, since we are not dealing in a beautiful naked cowhide or even the kind of goat we see at a place like Langlitz
Why bother then..........I never really got the attraction to the 5 Star conundrum.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I agree, the craftsmanship is there. I do. But now that, with shipping, they are over $400.....????? One could argue quite convincingly that it's better to have a go at a $400 vintage piece....but the fit of custom? If you get that right it's also awesome, and therein lies the conundrum, not to be solved here.

MadCat

Familiar Face
I agree, the craftsmanship is there. I do. But now that, with shipping, they are over $400.....????? One could argue quite convincingly that it's better to have a go at a $400 vintage piece....but the fit of custom? If you get that right it's also awesome, and therein lies the conundrum, not to be solved here.
Honestly, id rather buy brand new than a used, vintage jacket who knows how many people wore. Thats just my opinion. Fivestar makes an excellent jacket, some of you just don’t have the measuring down right.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Honestly, id rather buy brand new than a used, vintage jacket who knows how many people wore. Thats just my opinion. Fivestar makes an excellent jacket, some of you just don’t have the measuring down right.
Those are perfectly fine reasons as well. When I knock the newness out of my "just arrived" 5 star, I may end up thrilled. Different strokes here of course, to each his own thank goodness.

konadog

Practically Family
I have this trucker in whiskey horsehide coming to me soon. My advice to anyone ordering from Five Star is to get your measurements right and then double-check them. I gave them the wrong measurements for my sleeves and they made them perfectly to what I stated. Now I just need the sleeves to stretch a centimeter or two be my perfect length. Shawn offered to extend the cuff, but also said he believes the sleeves will stretch after wear.

IMG20231125160808.jpg

MadCat

Familiar Face
I have this trucker in whiskey horsehide coming to me soon. My advice to anyone ordering from Five Star is to get your measurements right and then double-check them. I gave them the wrong measurements for my sleeves and they made them perfectly to what I stated. Now I just need the sleeves to stretch a centimeter or two be my perfect length. Shawn offered to extend the cuff, but also said he believes the sleeves will stretch after wear.

View attachment 564777
Beautiful! What leather is it??

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 564777
I think if you soak the entire sleeve, and you wear the jacket, hold the sleeve end with your 4 fingers and force bend your elbow, I think it will stretch the back side of the sleeve, and that what matters the front part is ok to be shorter if the back part is dropping more the sleeve end would look alright, almost the same like pants if your pants hem is a bit shorter on the front it will look OK as long as the back side of the hem is longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom