Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Hello

I’ve been lurking on here for a while and this is my very first post!

I have been looking for a quality leather jacket, and came across Fivestar. The reason I chose them is because of this thread specifically and like how the jackets look on Ton, Mr. Proper and others.

I went ahead and placed an order for a 1930’s halfbelt in black 2mm steerhide. I went back and fourth with Shawn via email and gave clear instructions. A couple weeks later, he sent me photos of the final product - but was missing the “genuine steerhide” tag as I requested :(

Anyway I measured multiple jackets I have that fit me well and sent them to him.

Here are some photos:
That looks great.

KBlake

One Too Many
I want to sell some of my 5* experiments if anyone is interested. The measurements are all as follows:

Chest: 22”
Shoulder: 19”
Waist: 20”
Sleeve: 25.75”
Back length: 25.25”

PM me if interested.

KBlake

One Too Many
Any closeups of the leather? :)
Sorry for the delay. Here they are. One thing to notice is that with such a light color you see freckles and spots from the skin. I happen to like that but at first I thought they were stains or uneven dying. ADA4E429-8A58-4256-8BD3-B50E339F42D4.jpeg

Attachments

• DB942B5E-CE5F-4A41-8C37-548D491C4BD7.jpeg
    DB942B5E-CE5F-4A41-8C37-548D491C4BD7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • A31C5F89-201C-4083-B666-90DA467D7544.jpeg
    A31C5F89-201C-4083-B666-90DA467D7544.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 79
  • EBAB0737-448A-4412-A2A5-8B1C5C95E036.jpeg
    EBAB0737-448A-4412-A2A5-8B1C5C95E036.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 79

MTS

Familiar Face
Why even consider it? Just get his Cal, so you don’t need to worry about proportions being wrong, and choose a brown hide.

Ask to add a chest pocket if you want but then be extremely specific about where it goes. I don’t know if I’d risk adding the chest pocket because of that.

Most of these terrible designs come from photo references people used to order. One of my favorite failures, a product of this thread, is a Perfecto copy with a minuscule coin pocket. Just looks weird. (In fairness many of the weird design decisions were the product of the member.)

Woops, that was me lol. Live and learn haha

Damon141

Practically Family
I was thinking about one day in the future trying my hands at another 5 Star

*edit*. Forgot to add that this would be based on my Cafe Racer!
My idea is quite simple and will be an excellent example in price/cost va perceived quality and value.

I would supply each and every measurement from the standard P2P, shoulder, hem, waist, sleeve length and then detailed measurements such as cuff circumference, multi point sleeve circumference, neck circumference, armscye/arm hole. Distance between the arm holes front and back.

Who knows, maybe they will even want to experiment with the piping or welts along the zippers.

This could truly be a beat ''em up jacket as the master says.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here

My idea is quite simple and will be an excellent example in price/cost va perceived quality and value.

I would supply each and every measurement from the standard P2P, shoulder, hem, waist, sleeve length and then detailed measurements such as cuff circumference, multi point sleeve circumference, neck circumference, armscye/arm hole. Distance between the arm holes front and back.

Who knows, maybe they will even want to experiment with the piping or welts along the zippers.

Let me know if you need the PDF for the Café Racer.

Aloysius

You could send them yours to make you one with the exact measurements in a tougher material, maybe.

Damon141

Practically Family
Let me know if you need the PDF for the Café Racer.
I was going to ask you because you are the undisputed expert on five star measurements. Your diagrams are very helpful.

5 Star is really a cool way to keep a hobby going without spending major cash and or upsetting your significant other if thats a thing with you guys with big collections.
Part of the joy for me is receiving something in the mail from time to time.

MrProper

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Is there a site, besides ebay, where used jackets of reasonable quality are posted?
Man this is a very difficult question. Imo, once the jacket seller had posted the jacket on eBay, they'd want maximum dollars for it, and that's usually more than the buyer is willing to pay for. There are gems, but it's like winning a scratch and win.

There are couple other ways I am approaching to sourcing used jackets now. Half is through my local second hand shops, half is going all the way to Japan and browse through their second hand shops.

For example, one of my local second hand clothing shop has these two jackets for sale now, prices are in Canadian so take another 25% off to get to US dollars. These would be more reasonably priced than Ebay sellers imo:
https://store.rerides.ca/product/sears-hercules-leather-jacket-30388/
https://store.rerides.ca/product/simmons-bilt-a-2-bomber-leather-jacket-30950/

Then there is also Japan second hand market, I mainly look for things under ¥40000 yen now which would land under US $350, like this one. I am not posting the link because my proxy has not complete the transaction and I don't want to risk losing this gem...

So basically second hand clothing shops, domestic or abroad, not specializing in leather jacket. If they are specializing in leather jacket then the prices will automatically double...

Sorry not meaning to derail the 5Star thread. I still think a wax thick goat jacket from Shawn is unbeatable at its current price.

KBlake

One Too Many
I was going to ask you because you are the undisputed expert on five star measurements. Your diagrams are very helpful.

5 Star is really a cool way to keep a hobby going without spending major cash and or upsetting your significant other if thats a thing with you guys with big collections.
Part of the joy for me is receiving something in the mail from time to time.
It’s 100% this for me. I’m very happy with some of my 5* which is probably because I’ve not experienced the better makers. The ability to customize and get the measurements I need is also a big plus.

Dbrn

One of the Regulars
I think part of the trouble with my Aero Hooch Hauler is that my shoulders are more sloped than the pattern allows for. Does anyone think that if I gave 5* measurements that somehow included something about that, they'd be able to adjust accordingly? I'm thinking maybe a measurement of the vertical drop between the shoulder seam/collar, and the shoulder seam/sleeve.

Aloysius

I think part of the trouble with my Aero Hooch Hauler is that my shoulders are more sloped than the pattern allows for. Does anyone think that if I gave 5* measurements that somehow included something about that, they'd be able to adjust accordingly? I'm thinking maybe a measurement of the vertical drop between the shoulder seam/collar, and the shoulder seam/sleeve.

That could maybe work but it sounds like a risky prospect.

Maybe instead of just providing measurements, you use one of MrProper's specs as the reference? Given his Greek sculpture physique, that should account nicely for shoulder slope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner