Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

I ordered May 10 and they had it finished May 16. Had it in my hands May 23. They were prompt in their replies to my questions. Not sure what's going on with you. My jacket was mostly stock, but I did ask for no USN stencil and a removable mouton collar.
Well I guess it's a case of ask and you shall receive, just heard, being stitched now. Mine was "mostly stock" as well, just a change to the sleeve design.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I can't get a great picture for you right now, but it's attached via buttons on the inside of the jacket collar.

I'm really curious to see how that would look on a G-1. If you can, obviously no rush, even a bad pick would go a long way to making up my mind.

Observe

Practically Family
I'm really curious to see how that would look on a G-1. If you can, obviously no rush, even a bad pick would go a long way to making up my mind.
20230526_112041.jpg
Is this the picture you're looking for?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How long was the build time for you? I was told my jacket would be done in 3 days but 7 have passed and my inquiries have gone ignored....I'm irritated. I don't mind waiting but I hate being ignored, especially considering the amount of time and money I have invested with this company.
My impression was that 5* has always gone on diving station when something is difficult with an order. I think it's a culture thing, like it is partly with Indian software developers. Or they just have some holidays in Pakistan ;)

KBlake

One Too Many
I have this on its way to me in their 2mm black CHL. The reason I continue to order from 5* is customization. Off the rack never fits properly and the price to quality ratio with customization is unmatched.
8554BB9B-9489-43FA-9ABA-570BFDFED251.jpeg

Attachments

• 59DC3AF2-3F54-4D1D-99F2-629791D473C7.jpeg
    59DC3AF2-3F54-4D1D-99F2-629791D473C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80

MadCat

Familiar Face
I’m currently thinking of ordering a trucker jacket from Fivestar but am not sure on what leather to go with. Although I love my 2mm steerhide halfbelt, it’s too thick to wear comfortably.

Anybody have experience with their deerskin, horsehide or buffalo?

dep126

Familiar Face
How long was the build time for you? I was told my jacket would be done in 3 days but 7 have passed and my inquiries have gone ignored....I'm irritated. I don't mind waiting but I hate being ignored, especially considering the amount of time and money I have invested with this company.
That’s surprising. I just got a custom jacket delivered from them today actually. I think from the time I paid the invoice to delivery was about 8 days and I had pretty regular communications with them. Have you been trying to speak directly with the owner (I think it’s Shawn?). All of my communications have been with Fargham Ali. I think he usually responds very early in the morning. The email address he sends from is fivestarleathermfg@gmail.com

I’ll try to get some pics up but I’m very pleased with my jacket. It’s a cafe racer collar with side buckles in their Viskey HH.

Reactions: Zoo

KBlake

One Too Many
I’m currently thinking of ordering a trucker jacket from Fivestar but am not sure on what leather to go with. Although I love my 2mm steerhide halfbelt, it’s too thick to wear comfortably.

I like their horsehide a lot. That being said, I have a jacket on the way in the 2mm steer and hope I can break it in.

Can you provide an update with photos on your jacket in that hide and how it’s progressing?

Rugby

One of the Regulars

I have 5*trucker in HH. It's not bad. The leather is not uniformly thick over the jacket, but that's construction/QC issue. The hide is ok.

MadCat

Familiar Face
I like their horsehide a lot. That being said, I have a jacket on the way in the 2mm steer and hope I can break it in.

Can you provide an update with photos on your jacket in that hide and how it’s progressing?
How thick is the horsehide you like?

It’s been too warm to wear the jacket so I can’t comment on the progress of it. I will be wearing it in the fall a lot though. I actually just put it on again and 2mm is too thick. It will take a long time to break in. I will still wear it though! I haven’t weighed it, but I am guessing it is 10 lbs. It feels like body armour literally. It fits right but I feel restricted in it due to how thick this hide is! Next time I won’t order anything over 1.4mm thick.

KBlake

One Too Many
How thick is the horsehide you like?

It’s been too warm to wear the jacket so I can’t comment on the progress of it. I will be wearing it in the fall a lot though. I actually just put it on again and 2mm is too thick. It will take a long time to break in. I will still wear it though! I haven’t weighed it, but I am guessing it is 10 lbs. It feels like body armour literally. It fits right but I feel restricted in it due to how thick this hide is! Next time I won’t order anything over 1.4mm thick.
I’m not sure exactly how thick the horsehide is but I’d guess it’s in the 1.5mm range.

Is it possible that you are just not accustomed to thick leather since you said it’s your first non-mall jacket? I ask because another member had a jacket made in the brown version and he didn’t say the thickness was prohibitive.

MadCat

Familiar Face
I’m not sure exactly how thick the horsehide is but I’d guess it’s in the 1.5mm range.

Is it possible that you are just not accustomed to thick leather since you said it’s your first non-mall jacket? I ask because another member had a jacket made in the brown version and he didn’t say the thickness was prohibitive.
Yes, perhaps this. Also, it for sure needs some break in, which will come with time.

Just want to comment on something. When I look at some high end jackets online like Aero and some Japanese brands, none of them use leather as thick as 2mm. Thickest I have seen is 1.4mm. Heck, even Vanson competition weight leather is around 1.3mm!

I am sure the jacket will break in but i’ll have to wear it a lot. I still love it though. Next time, I don’t think i’ll go as thick though.

KBlake

One Too Many
I just received my 2mm steer half belt and I’m very pleased with the hide. It’s of course extremely robust but it’s also pliable and not uncomfortable for me.

One thing I’m not sure of and am hoping will be answered here is whether these side buckles are oriented properly. They pull towards the front rather than the back. Is that wrong?
E2BEABD1-BBEF-4590-9A55-6948FB560B10.jpeg

Thanks!

Last edited:
The straps look very short...otherwise you could loop them back through to face the rear. Can the straps even do anything with the bottom panel all the way around?

KBlake

One Too Many
The straps look very short...otherwise you could loop them back through to face the rear. Can the straps even do anything with the bottom panel all the way around?
I’ll have to pay to just have them removed I guess. I actually didn’t want side buckles but there was a miscommunication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ