Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

mvilla

A-List Customer
Some before and after shots in good light. I’d recommend getting some sponge brushes so you can work it into the seams and for touch up on areas you miss. Bear in mind each application will further darken the area where it’s applied.

For me the stuff works miracles on otherwise dull leather. Also important to note it will absolutely stain anything it comes in contact with. Don’t wear white while applying it!
Pretty cool before/after shots... Do you have exp with black urad as well? Does it have the same kind of potential? I'd be curious to see what it could do to my LL

The 'before' brought back chocolate milk memories. You're a visionary. I wouldn't have seen the potential there.
Similar but not as bland as the russet. “Dark chocolate” milk.
IMG_7217.jpeg

Full sun and details and then I’ll STFU. Urad is great because the pigment works its way into the cracked grain of goat. On a smooth leather you’ll get a more uniform color change.
IMG_7210.jpeg

IMG_7219.jpeg

The overall effect is a darker jacket but you can see the pigment actually sort of seeps into the recessed areas of the grain and the “top” of the grain is less impacted. It also works its way into seams, creating more depth and character in those areas.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
The crystal goat has better top grain than his normal goatskin (premium included). The color is still flat but the better grain picks up patina much faster and gets Deeper and richer in finish. He charged me the horsehide price for my last crystal goatskin jacket which shocked me and made me stop for a while. But come to looking At it it is better hide than the other stuff he has. I’ve moved on many of my 5* jackets but kept the crystal goat one.
Tons Smoke jacket is the best one from 5* to date.

In your experience, does the Urad stain become permanent or does is wear off soonish? Thanks!
It’s permanent. The shine dulls but the pigment stays. The sponge they provide to apply it cannot be washed out back to white. It would take rubbing alcohol to remove the pigment.

The crystal goat has better top grain than his normal goatskin (premium included). The color is still flat but the better grain picks up patina much faster and gets Deeper and richer in finish. He charged me the horsehide price for my last crystal goatskin jacket which shocked me and made me stop for a while. But come to looking At it it is better hide than the other stuff he has. I’ve moved on many of my 5* jackets but kept the crystal goat one.
Tons Smoke jacket is the best one from 5* to date.
Same here. Crystal goat is the same price as the HH stuff. I like the goat. It’s much improved from my first batch of jackets. Far heavier, thicker. Colors look the same. I mean goat skin is dull. It just is. It doesn’t get interesting until you do something like Thedi, with all the faux distress, wax, etc. it’s easy enough to get some semblance of that on your own though.

WolferlQ3

New in Town
Short question.

Can I compare the A2 sizing of 5* with those from Aero, Schott or Eastman?

Means, if wear size 46 with those 3, can I also wear 46 with 5*?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I have Shawn's Dubow, drawing No.30-1415 Order No. W535 A.C. 20960, in size 42. It has a relaxed shoulder fit and I would say it's TTS. I don't have Aero Schott or Eastman but I have a Lost Worlds and some Japanese A2s. As long as they are contract specific they will be TTS. Some contracts have military slim fits some are more relaxed. Shawn's numbers are quite accurate. There is also a lot of info on the Vintageleatherjacketforum I lurk there to get intel on A2s.

Cocker

Practically Family
Folks, for those of you who own Shawn's Cossack, I have a question regarding the shoulders. From the size chart, I would need a size 40 in terms of chest size, but the shoulder measurements seem really small at 18.5 inches. as my regular shoulder size is 20 inches.

So the question is: would this be ok to have smaller shoulder width due to the Cossack pattern, or should I ask for custom shoulders measurements and use the same as with My A-2?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Short question.

Can I compare the A2 sizing of 5* with those from Aero, Schott or Eastman?

Means, if wear size 46 with those 3, can I also wear 46 with 5*?

Aero and Eastman make a wide range of (historically accurate and distinctly fitting) A-2 reproductions.

Schott’s A-2 is a postwar civilian version. Excellent jacket but its equivalent from the others would be Eastman’s Air Comfort or Aero’s 1950s Flight Jacket.

klorel

New in Town
May I annoy the pleople here with a technical question?
What do you believe should be the best angle at which the sleeves are to be attached to a jacket? I see in some pictures that 5* has the tendency to attach the sleeves at a too small angle. On the other side, attaching the sleeves in a straight line with the shoulders gives very good mobility, but the look is appropriate for military-type jackets, not so much for the civilian ones. What are your opinions?

May I annoy the pleople here with a technical question?
What do you believe should be the best angle at which the sleeves are to be attached to a jacket? I see in some pictures that 5* has the tendency to attach the sleeves at a too small angle. On the other side, attaching the sleeves in a straight line with the shoulders gives very good mobility, but the look is appropriate for military-type jackets, not so much for the civilian ones. What are your opinions?
This is an age old problem with 5 Star. I don’t believe it has much to do with the angle at which they meet the shoulder. The problem is the lack of natural curvature in the sleeve construction itself. These pics illustrate it best, and you can see what I mean. 5 star’s sleeve has little, if any, actual curvature:
IMG_7251.jpeg

Aero sleeve with natural curvature:
IMG_7252.jpeg

The elbow area shows what happens with less curvature. I haven’t been able to convey this concept with any success. Instead I insist on 3 panel sleeves and declare the measurements at three points (which is what I did with the top jacket) and I think it creates a tolerable sleeve profile.

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
So, the jacket arrived yesterday! For someone who only ever had a thin sheepskin fashion jacket this feels like a big step up. This leather definitely needs time to break in. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out, how it feels and how it wears. Now it's time to wait for actual leather jacket weather

Attachments

• IMG_20230628_090541.jpg
    IMG_20230628_090541.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20230628_090625.jpg
    IMG_20230628_090625.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20230628_090606.jpg
    IMG_20230628_090606.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20230628_091619.jpg
    IMG_20230628_091619.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151

58panheadfan

One Too Many
After having had very good experiences with my road master d-pocket jacket, I decided to order a re-make of my Protech "Trojan" leather jacket (which I wear for motorcycling) from 5Star Leather so that I have a "Trojan" on a daily basis. I am more than satisfied with the result.

Waxed Steerhide in seal brown, fully custom made:

FL_Trojan_1.jpg

FL_Trojan_2.jpg
FL_Trojan_3.jpg
FL_Trojan_4.jpg
FL_Trojan_5.jpg

Fit pictures:

FL_5Star_Trojan_Front closed.jpg
FL_5Star_Trojan_Front open.jpg
FL_5Star_Trojan_Back.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads