Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FL brain storm request

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
There's a difference between macho stuff that dudes do, and the stuff that manly men do.

The manly men I know like to either hunt and fish or play golf. The older ones like to tend their gardens. Most other activities--travel, going to games, dining, playing cards--are typically done with the man's wife and children.

warbird

One Too Many
Paisley said:
I've taken a lot of classes. Outside of computer programming and social dance, you hardly ever see a man at a class, other than the odd husband who has been dragged along. [huh]

But classes in blacksmithing and woodworking ain't like class. It's diff'ernt. I never seen nothing but men and those classes.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
But classes in blacksmithing and woodworking ain't like class. It's diff'ernt. I never seen nothing but men and those classes.

Maybe it's different there, or maybe blacksmithing and woodworking are special cases. I've taken fencing, military history, stained glass, and others. The testosterone there would have fit in a tea cup.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Guys vs Dolls

This thread is a fascinating exploration of the profound differences between men and women. I think Barbi is thinking that men enjoy doing stuff together in the same way that women enjoy doing stuff together. Jane Fonda once described how her father and Jimmy Stewart used to build model airplanes together. They couldn't have been further apart on issues like politics, but they loved building model airplanes. They would get together, and spend hours at a stretch handing each other pieces, holding parts together, etc., and never utter a word. When women get together for anything, it's the getting together and "girl-talking" that's the main objective. Not so with guys. I think the idea of finding a "guys get together and doing something" activity is charming and endearing, shows a lot of love on her part, but I'll be mildly surprised if this ever comes to anything. But please keep us posted!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Go to their neighborhood pizza joint and settle a long-standing high school grudge over who really was the best at pinball. It'll be even more entertaining if one of them is the chief of thoratic surgery at the local hospital, one is the president of the local bank, and the third the publisher of the local newspaper. Spotty-faced teens look on in awestruck wonderment as three prime representatives of The Man start popping quarters and banging flipper buttons like there's no tomorrow.

I have actually seen this happen, by the way. A very entertaining sight.

Rooster

Practically Family
Go to the gun range and shoot a couple rounds of skeet. Not unusual for me but others may not do it often.
Go to a gunclub that has DCM shoots and shoot the club's Garands for score....Big fun, lots of noise and recoil.
Go to a sporting clays club and shoot some clays...very trendy these days.
I guess all the stuff I think is cool involves guns....everything else is too gay.lol

Paisley said:
I've taken a lot of classes. Outside of computer programming and social dance, you hardly ever see a man at a class, other than the odd husband who has been dragged along. [huh]

You're quite right. Men like spending time together in ways some cannot understand. We don't need to say much just spend time together. Its all about being there not gabbing.
Classes for us ended when we graduated from either college or high school. We don't do that stuff for fun nor would we subject our friends to it. :p ;)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Bocce Ball
BBQ'ing (though here in SC, barbecue is a noun, not a verb)
Bull....crapping
Card playing (spades, set-back or poker)
Hunting (birds, mainly. One usually doesn't hunt deer in a group unless on a dog drive)
Driving range
Shooting range

Technonut

Practically Family
Rafter said:
I despise Monty Python so much that I gave away my tickets to the Monty Python B-way show "Spamalot". The whole Monty Python premise makes me cringe! Reminds me too much of Benny Hill. Not a fan of that kind of lame humor.

I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries! ........... lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80