Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flatfoots (Flatfeet?)

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a photo of what pre-WWII police uniforms looked like? Most PD's had the 5 pointed peak cap, didn't they?

I can't find jack about this on the old inter-web.

Well, All I could find were a few from the motor patrol of New Mexico from the 1930s.

This is from 1937:

beckner.jpg

And this is officer House from 1933:

house1933.jpg

I hope that helps. Looks like you were sort of right about the caps but I think I count six points on the House photo. Maybe I am wrong. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
All I know is that from the examples I have seen, the vintage police uniforms were far better looking than they are today.

Does anybody know why modern police uniformly wear skin-tight clothing? I swear, those tight polyester pants make me feel uncomfortable just looking at them. You would think that with the physical activity required the police would wear more practical clothing.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I couldn't find any decent images of the APD on the internet, but here are two of Texas state troopers. Look at those pants, they are just wrong.

MVC-001S.gif

03.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Those 1930's uniforms with the high boots and riding pants are outstanding!

Also, notice how many of the policemen are wearing their hats at a jaunty angle. This was very popular for men in uniform up through World War 2. In contrast, a modern American will wear a hat or cap perfectly straight and centered...very boring. I much prefer the jaunty angle, and love to use it whenever I am in uniform, and it also makes the look more authentic.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Proud to wear it, just hate the way they look...

If they were made of anything else, they wouldn't hold up. Wool would be insane (And smelly)in the summer. But some depts. are going to BDU's and such.

After spending years cuffing my pants and such, and dressing the way I like... it is tough spending eight to 12 hrs in geek polyester. You should see what happens to polyester near a live fire!~~!

I personally prefer the classic styles. Them boots, riding pants, and the twin rows of buttons are great!!

Man, I was born at the wrong time!!

Brody

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Yeah... I would probably agree with you!!

I know that they do have lighter wool. But the bottom line is poly just $uck$! And the cut of the uniforms is intentionally to make us look like we dumbed in our shorts...

Brody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails