Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Wearing 'Golden Era' Vintage, Are Men Socially Castigated More than Women?

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Trav. You've probably seen some of these folks. They're members of a polygamist sect called the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). They're particularly big in Arizona and Texas.

4589453.jpg

That's basically it. I DO know that Mormonism is a big thing here. But at least the guy counterparts of those^ folks make an effort to put themselves together even if they are from another planet:eusa_clap

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I got told recently that women who don't wear sweatpants to the grocery store or put lipstick on regularly for "no real reason, just out to the shops..." are insecure, shallow, and sad.

I said "you think women should be able to be comfortable, right?" and she said yes.

I said "well I never feel comfortable in sweatpants."

And I don't. I'd feel yucky. Even my casual look (and I do love casual looks!) is a cotton skirt/sundress or jeans - and yes, a bit of makeup. Apparently jeans can be too fancy! I had no idea.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I got told recently that women who don't wear sweatpants to the grocery store or put lipstick on regularly for "no real reason, just out to the shops..." are insecure, shallow, and sad.

That is just plain backward. This person quite obviously hasn't noticed the human phenomenon of building confidence from the outside in - When people see you positively, you see yourself positively (Thanks, Charles Cooley!)

There is the reason I loved working as a make-up artist. A woman who came to the shop in sweatpants, looking insecure and sad, would try on some lipstick and instantly stand up taller. I like to think this woman will now go home and wear her lipstick for no real reason, then ditch the frumpy sweatpants and take pride in herself. If that makes her shallow and sad, then so be it - As long as she feels good.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
And as for men being more "gun shy" about forking over cash? ... see what stuff brings at eBay auction. ... 1940s suits/hats in pristine condition (and non-Golden Era sizes)? The auction results will leave you sitting on the floor in stunned silence.

Thank you very much for those observations, Fred.

I guess it's all relative: I, too, look at the auction results for 1940s suits/hats in pristine condition (and none-Golden Era sizes) .... but I reckon that, by and large, they're too low. I sit on the floor in stunned silence, thinking "How could that go for only that price?" (Then again, I'm a seller.)

Last edited:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm late to this thread, but completely agree with this:

Speaking in the bigger picture and not looking at regional prejudices, I say men are not more castigated than women. . "The Look"(call your specific era) is very different for ladies than for men compared to today.. Vintage female hair, makeup, dresses, shoes, etc. make it very hard for a gal to do her own thing and not stick out(for lack of a better term..). I think this holds true for dressing up and down. Vintage guys can blend in better if necessary.

What's "wildest" the average vintage inclined guy wears? A fedora, two-tone shoes, or a watch chain? It's the rare bird that sport the loud patterns clothing.

I'm a member of another online message forum that focuses on fashion and accessories. There are endless threads devoted to poring over celebrity, designer & runway fashion, tracking down which sunglasses a certain celeb was photographed wearing, women there photograph themselves sporting the latest fashions and compare notes relentlessly. Women who dress the least bit vintage or classic are made fun of mercilessly. Kate Middleton is practically a four-letter word over there. Apparently she dresses like a horrid old spinster and instead should strive to emulate the Kar-trashians, to "fit in." :rolleyes: A scant few of the ladies there appreciate Dita, but most say her style is far too dressy and "ladylike."

Meanwhile, whenever male celebrities are discussed, it seems to be very much appreciated when they're dressed up and wearing classic clothing, rather than jeans & a sports jersey.

So I must say, I personally feel that women have it more difficult.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I dress vintage every day and have never received anything but positive feedback. It used to be vintage sports shirts and coats; now I wear a vintage suit (or sports coat and trousers), tie and fedora every day. I hear only good things (not that I'd give a hoot if I were "castigated").

And I even wear the more "out there" items described someone above: Thirties ties (rayon and otherwise), two-tone shoes.

Now, where can I find 1940s ties for a dime a dozen? Heck, I'd pay ten, twenty, or even fifty bucks a dozen -- just point me in the right direction.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
My guess is it heavily depends on where you live and what type of lifestyle/job you have. When I lived in Washington, DC (or when I travel for work to European or Asian cities) 'dressing up' is part of the job, so coat and tie or suit etc. So working vintage in to my wardrobe (baring extreme items) was and is pretty easy. Wearing a conservative vintage suit, fedora, nice dress shoes, while perhaps more dressy than others (ie they don't wear fedoras, etc.) does not stand out.

In a place wear casual wear is expected by men, it will be quite different. I tend to find in these areas women have more leeway in their dress, and could wear a wider vareity of vintage items. For example, here in Hawai unless wearing vintage is considered wearing vintage Aloha shirts (I do not have any and rarely wear modern ones...), vintage dress clothes on a man is going to stand out and you'll take your lumps. Other than Aloha shirts there are virtually no vintage clothing stores for men. On the other hand, there are several stores here that do decent business selling vintage dress clothes to women and they wear them to work, going out with no problem. Women also tend to dress up here more than men do. Very common to find a women in a nice dress, heels, etc. and the guy well... maybe he up on a long sleeved shirt with buttons on it (untucked of course) and thats dressing up...

I also think women are generally more likely to "dress up for fun" than guys are. Guys who dress well dress for the occassion, few dress up because they "like to." Well excepting us die hards here on the Lounge... I am about the only guy I know who dresses up for fun, and I am alway refered to as the dandy...

We also have to consider where you live in this poll. Being in a big city certainly helps. I quit caring about what people think of me long ago. For everyone that looks at you funny, there's someone I'll like that tells me it looks nice. :)

Pompidou

One Too Many
At first, I hated the funny looks, and sought to keep a low profile and I got them often - nonstop. Then I came to crave the funny looks, and I strove for them, and now I never get them.

I'm not being critical of what anyone ELSE chooses to wear. If you want to go full on vintage so be it. I'm simply not attracted to nor interested in vintage ties, shoes, or suits. But if you care what your peers think or are judged professionally, then you should be cognizant of the fact that men simply have more leeway than women. It's a fact (at least where I am) and suspect that's true elsewhere.

Actually, it's the opposite where I work, which is the entertainment industry.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab

Nice finds, Marc.

I think I told this story at the time, but a couple of years ago, the wife and I were at an antique mall in my hometown of Oklahoma City. We came from church, both dressed fully vintage, and spent an hour or more looking around.

We passed one very familiar type of Oklahoma fellow -- craggy face, two days' beard growth, worn jeans, a faded western shirt, trucker cap, boots -- several times and I noticed that he kind of gave us the eye any time we drew near to him.

Finally, he approached me, and I'll admit I didn't quote know what to expect.

"My wife and I sure have enjoyed your get-up," he said, and sincerely. I just knew we had been earning his disapproval, and it turned out he liked our garb very much.

Just goes to show, I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran