Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frayed Bows

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
I have a few hats and have seen many more that have fraying at the rear of the bow and nowhere else. Anybody know how/why this happens?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It was a stylistic feature, done intentionally at the factory. It's not actually fraying. It's especially common on hats from the '20s and '30s and on Cavanaghs.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
redhawks2 said:
I have a few hats and have seen many more that have fraying at the rear of the bow and nowhere else. Anybody know how/why this happens?

Some were made that way back in the day.

Herzen

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
It was a stylistic feature, done intentionally at the factory. It's not actually fraying. It's especially common on hats from the '20s and '30s and on Cavanaghs.
+1

All my Cavanaghs have that.

Dinerman said:

It is also common on old P. & C. Habig hats.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Come to think of it, I've seen the same on a few hats that passed through my hands. Sort of a precursor of the "distressed" look in fashion? [huh] Kind of odd,...maybe to set a maker's hats apart from others at a glance?

P. & C. Habig Frayed Bows

Fedora

3938593232_88c0785f89_b.jpg

Homburg

3937816855_814c804cfd_b.jpg

Both early 1950s.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Could simply be a case of this was the point at which the ribbon was cut from a roll,...the end just not finished because it was too time consuming to do so with the ribbon already in place. [huh]

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Could simply be a case of this was the point at which the ribbon was cut from a roll,...the end just not finished because it was too time consuming to do so with the ribbon already in place. [huh]

Have to believe it was done on purpose (visual effect?). The bow work on these Habigs is very top quality.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I still feel guilty about email I sent to an eBay seller, complaining
about the frayed edge of a bow... it was a Cavanagh of extremely good
quality, almost new condition, 7 1/2 extra long oval and quite reasonably
priced... If I still had her email address I'd send an apology.

I think it flaunts the fine quality silk used for those ribbons.
Nice style accent.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's too bad the frayed look can't be done with modern hat band ribbon. Believe me, I've tried, but between the fabric content and the weaving, it winds up like a train wreck, unraveling all over the place.

Brad

John Galt

Vendor
It's too bad the frayed look can't be done with modern hat band ribbon. Believe me, I've tried, but between the fabric content and the weaving, it winds up like a train wreck, unraveling all over the place.

Brad

Thought I'd responded to this thread with much of the same as above - maybe it's in the ether. [Edit - It is in the recent Bowler Ribbon Question thread on the same issue]. Anyway, I believe this was done for exactly the reason Brad notes - to show the quality of the ribbon as compared to inferior types. I seem to recall seeing an ad touting this once - probably an old Cavanagh ad, I'm guessing. Doubt I could find it, but will look...

[Edit: No luck, but I did find that there are products - including one called "Fray Check" -that those in the sewing arts use to prevent fraying.]

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Fray Chek is also used in costuming. It allows the costumer to leave the edge of the fabric unfinished (that is unhemmed) without it unraveling. It's not good enough for close inspection, but works great on stage.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Yep, what Galt said - the frayed edge look wasn't attempting to make the hat look distressed, but rather, to show off the high quality of the ribbon - hence why it was a favorite design feature of Cavanagh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot