Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freddies of Pinewood 1950's jeans opinion.

Edward

Bartender
Sorry for the grave digging, but I take it the rise advised on Freddies of Pinewood is the FRONT rise? I'm pretty tempted by the 1940's pre-shrunked. It seems it's pretty hard to find nice denims with a high rise under 150EUR.

I think so. I had a couple of pairs of the 40s model and liked them very much, though that said, since they hiked the prices up to GBP100 a pair (currently only EU118 or so), I started buying elsewhere. I have a couple of pairs of SJC, which are a jump up in price (GBP150 or so). For cheaper jeans, I have had a couple of pairs from Soldier of Fortune, a surp[lus and reenactment supplier based in Wales. They have three cuts on their website. I've owned a pair of what I think are their thirties ones (seemed more a fifties cut to me, but...), and two pairs of the forties style with the belt buckle. I lean to the view they're as good as the Freddies, but for only GBP49.99.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1940s-denim-jeans-no-back-buckle-product,13918

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/usn-red-selvage-denim-jeans-1930s-us-navy-deck-jeans-product,19089

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-navy-1940s-denim-deck-jeans-usn-red-selvage-jeans-product,14013

I discovered the buckle-back forties ones originally because I wanted somethingl ike my forties Freddie,s but which could be worn with a belt. The Freddies, in addition to the braces studs, put the back buckle behind the rear belt loop rather than below it, so what happens then is you just can't fit a belt on it. On the SoF option, the buckle is correctly placed below the belt loops. Evetually I'll probably pick up a pair of these to stud up for braces as well. If you want low-cost but decent jeans you cna wear out and not worry about, these are a good deal.

Cocker

Practically Family
I've seen them too, and may have a try sometimes, but I'm beginning to run out of wearable pants! :-D

What's the waiting time?

Cocker

Practically Family
@Edward Well noted, thanks! I've already ordered a couple times from SOF in the past, Vietnam era US gears mainly. I've been tempted to order the denims from them, but it's lacking a size chart so I could order the correct size. I may try to check with them by email.

As far as SJC are concerned... The Yard Boss I've bought from the Aero sales are the ones that got me in the high waisted trousers. Those are the most fantastic denims I've ever owned, and after a small time to adjust to the high waist, I must say I've never worn more comfortable pants before.

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I've seen them too, and may have a try sometimes, but I'm beginning to run out of wearable pants! :-D

What's the waiting time?
I think it is out to around 6 months now. I have found Ciano more than helpful but response times to emails can be slow. You could give him a call to confirm. He always recommends 'phoning rather than email. There are some denim forums that have a gallery of his work.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a 60's pair, plus the 58 Roamers, engineer pants & high waisted Chinos. I really like A lot of their products :)

Cocker

Practically Family
So do I! I should stop delaying this trip to their store in Köln. I've been eyeing the Engineer for some times too, as well as their grey wabash hunting pants.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So do I! I should stop delaying this trip to their store in Köln. I've been eyeing the Engineer for some times too, as well as their grey wabash hunting pants.

For the price I think they turn out some nice clobber! Lanyard, belt & wallet to accessorise:)

Iron Horse

Vendor
Would Love some REALLY Vintage Style Jeans.

How about some Warehouse or Sugarcane? :)

Warehouse 'banner' denim, reproduced from a vintage, 1930's Levi's denim banner.

20120506_1269395.jpg

close-up.jpg

Warehouse

IMG_2795.jpg

Warehouse 1001SXX

052mb2014-1001sxx-p2.jpg

Warehouse 1001xx

019_01.jpg

Sugarcane 1947

ZzE8rFC.jpg

IMG_1310.thumb.JPG.ab785d8e79b1ac9d96de804de57b5c9e.JPG

B5E80F5D-88CE-49FC-9603-A92D44926AD7.thumb.jpg.100813623a77cf9ec68dbe5937280455.jpg

ting.jpg

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
Well, they sure do look nice, but as far as I can see, they only offer 34" inseam, which would be too short for me. Moreover, the price tag is a bit more than what I'm willing to pay for a pair of trousers.

Edward

Bartender
@Edward Well noted, thanks! I've already ordered a couple times from SOF in the past, Vietnam era US gears mainly. I've been tempted to order the denims from them, but it's lacking a size chart so I could order the correct size. I may try to check with them by email.

I found them reasonably true to size, with maybe just an inch or so over stated size for comfort. Similar to Freddies. Sizes run something like 32 to 42, I think. I have spoken to them on the phone before, and they are really helpful.

As far as SJC are concerned... The Yard Boss I've bought from the Aero sales are the ones that got me in the high waisted trousers. Those are the most fantastic denims I've ever owned, and after a small time to adjust to the high waist, I must say I've never worn more comfortable pants before.

Oh, yes. Definitely. I have the original Big Bs, a pair of the buckle-back jeans, and a wabash Big Bs. Lovely Japanese denim, ewn up in Thailand, I think. Better than anything else I've owned by a country mile. Now I've discovered dungarees (bib and braces overalls to Americans), I might well go for some of those next time Simon does a denim run.

Discovered Pike Bros & sold my Freddie's :)

I looked at a lot of their stuff, but necer quite got on with the cut of the trousers. Always seemed to be low-waisted and a bit narrow in the leg to me?

Cocker

Practically Family
I looked at a lot of their stuff, but necer quite got on with the cut of the trousers. Always seemed to be low-waisted and a bit narrow in the leg to me?

Indeed, that's my main grief too. I do love my 58 roamer pants, they are top notch quality, but now that I'm used to the Yard Boss, they're too low waisted for me. I should try another cut. Meanwhile, still looking for a new pair. I'm waiting for SOF to get back to me regarding the inseam on the 34 waisted 1930s denim, and I'm somewhat considering Ciano for the long term.

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, the SoFs come in one inside leg measure ment - 36 or 37. Plenty of room for agood, deep cuff if that's your thing! (I have mined cuffed at three or four inches deep!).

Cocker

Practically Family
I do love cuffing the jeans! Wearing the Yard Boss with a good 4 inches cuff! If the 34 comes in with a 36 inseam, I'll go for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo