Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Free stuff! Grab bag of goodies!

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Everything you see is free- you pay for shipping. Take as much or as little as you want.
Some stuff is vintage, other stuff is modern but good for using with your vintage projects!
beads.jpg

Beads for bead hobbies. Applique of a rainbow.
applique.jpg
close-up of applique
lace.jpg

Lace trimming- notice the prices!
lace2.jpg

More lace trimming plus two small doilies.
zippers.jpg

Short zippers- good for jacket chest pockets.
weaver.jpg

Reweaving tools plus instructions.
pattern.jpg

Sewing pattern- girl's schooldress pattern, 32" bust.
More to come....

dakotanorth

Practically Family
MORE Free stuff! Grab bag part 2

bark.jpg

Multi-colored barkcloth. About 1+ yards.
cotton-rayon.jpg

Burgundy polished cotton- about 2 or 3 yards. Modern black rayon/linen blend, remnants. Brown (modern) rayon gabardine, remnants. Tan plaid vintage, probably cotton rayon blend, remnants.
drill.jpg

Cotton drill, modern, about 3 yards.
lining.jpg

Lining material, all modern. Orange sharkskin is nylon or poly 2 yards. Purple-gray is poly (I think) about 1.5 to 2 yards. Black is acetate, very heavy and smooth, about 2 yards. Royal blue is acetate about 2 yards.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/dakotanorth_01/animal.jpg[/IMG
Zebra stripe, 1/4 yard, all poly knit. Cow print is 1 yard, all poly knit. Both good for western wear projects!
[IMG]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/dakotanorth_01/teal.jpg
Modern teal wool flannel- about 2.5 yards, I bought this at B Black and Sons, a legendary store. Color is darker than the photo- think navy blue, but teal!
wools.jpg

Wool gabardine remnants- pink is poly-wool blend, purple is all wool with a streak pattern (from Britex), orange is all wool (from Britex), reddish-brown all wool (vintage). The other brown is all wool, about 1 yards plus pieces, vintage.
wool.jpg

Wool suiting- about 1+ yards of each, both vintage. See close ups.
wool-teal.jpg

wool-tan.jpg

Any questions or claims, contact through PM. Thanks, enjoy!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I would like the lining material please

I can use this for restoring my hats .. I'll even pay you for it. thanks PM me

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Follow-up

Hello all! THanks, that was FAST. I like that....
Vintage Betty wrote a PM so she gets first claim on the lace, reweaving stuff, and the pattern.

Frijoli was the next to reply so he can take claim to all the other stuff, unless he opts to give up the lining material to Wil Tam.

Frijoli, PM please? Thanks everyone!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Vintage Betty said:
PM sent for lace, pattern and reweaving stuff.

Thanks!
Vintage Betty

So I'm scrolling, and I get to the lace, pattern and reweaving stuff and fast dash to the bottom to PM right quick and....

Poo.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, poo. Reweaving is dying out because the old generation, the Europeans, were taught never to pass on the skills. Now the few weavers working are so swamped with work they can't afford to teach anyone.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Free stuff, wrap-up

Here's the wrap up of all of this. I figured it would take WEEKS to unload this! Cool!
Vintage Betty- your mailbox is full!
Regardless, Vintage Betty takes claim on the sewing pattern, reweaving book and tools, and the lace trimmings.
Frijoli took claim on everything else.
Baron Kurtz has worked out an agreement with Frijoli- Baron gets the pocket zippers. I have a few other modern zippers, 8 or 9 inch I'll throw in, just in case.

Hopefully everyone understands- my only request is share what you make with this stuff! Post pictures, wear it, whatever you wish.

Yeah, reweaving- I tried it on a road trip once. I got about 3 threads woven into the hole and say "This is INSANE!!" There's a woman in LA that does great work, but it takes about 8 months to get your stuff back. I can't say I blame her though.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JupitersDarling said:
Great stuff, lucky first responders! Can someone explain what reweaving is though? Fixing holes in suiting, or what? :confused:

To weave again, to weave back
Source: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reweave

Reweaving is a term loosely used in regard to all types of textiles (clothing, rugs, furniture covers) to mean to re-weave the threads again and repair the item.

For a more literal example, I had a 1930's wool suit that had moth holes. I took it to a professional, and they removed some threads from the interior skirt hem and rewove the hole to repair it. I've had reweaving done twice; once by a good professional and once not. The second time the person didn't baste the threads down, so they all ended up loose again and fell out. I was back where I started.

Honestly, some reweaving jobs are so complex they should be left to professionals. I've found that here in the Bay Area, we have a nice influx of professional Iranians and Persians with generations of rug cleaning and reweaving experience in the same shop. If they aren't insulted :rolleyes: they do a fantastic job on reweaving vintage clothing because they are so used to working on more complex textiles with much more fragile threads.

BUT, I've also learned that some reweaving jobs are so simple I can probably tackle them myself. Think modern tweeds with thick threads on a cheap jacket.

Hope that helps.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy