Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freshman looking for an advice - slim FQHH jacket

Wuj

New in Town
Greetings everybody,
let me introduce myself. I am Wojtek from Poland. I think this forum and people here make just a great work.
My subject is easy - I would like to buy a top-level leather jacket. I have read lots of materials here, seen pictures - so homework is done.
I would like to buy some fit type of jacket - bootlegger or 30s halfbelt (I have one cafe racer from Marlboro).
After going through internet, I decided to get in touch with Aeroleather team (Holly). Before ordering some made-to-measure jacket, I ordered one off the rack - Bootlegger 44.
You can see how it looks on these pics:
IMG_4468  (edytowany).JPG
IMG_4469.JPG

For me is much too roomy in chest and hem, and sleeves are too short, and I am looking for a real neat and fit jacket.
My dimensions are:
187 cm (6.2)
85 kg (190 lbs)
Chest 117 cm inhale (46 in) breathing out - 113 cm (44,5 in)
waist 83 cm (33 in).

My issue is the difference between chest and waist, as I used to swim and train a lot. What is ok in everyday life is a kind of a challenge for a proper jacket finding;)

The jacket on the pic is:
Pit to Pit: 25.25"
Sleeve: 24.5"
Back: 25"
Shoulder: 19.75"

Now let me show you my old cafe racer:
IMG_4787.jpg

Dimensions are:
Schoulder: 19in

Pit to Pit: 24

Sleeve: 25,5

Lenght: 25,5

I have made some discussion with Holly but still need some assistance from you Guys.
I do not want too roomy jacket, I am not going to put thick sweaters under it.
Thanks for any help.

The Bootlegger is a "boxy" fit , which means it runs 1 size large. I'd go for a 42. Alternately- Aero makes a STF Bootlegger and also STF 30s Halfbelt. STF means Super Tight Fit. I would ask about those.
Welcome to the Lounge!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A lot of this is down to personal taste. I am almost the same size as you (188cm and 83 kilo, with a smaller chest) I would always have a 27 inch back and 26 inch sleeves. That Bootlegger is too short to my taste which makes the fit look even more boxy.

In any case, I think you should go one size down, add 2 (or more) inches in the sleeves and 1 inch on the back length.

Wuj

New in Town
Thanks Guys for help and opinions. I wrote to Holly for an additional analysis of my proper measurements;)
I am curious about your opinions re. breaking of bootlegger. As it has double layer in front, is it easy to wear every day? Maybe 30’ halfbelt would be a better option? Best would be to buy both, but my wife will kill me:)

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Guys for help and opinions. I wrote to Holly for an additional analysis of my proper measurements;)
I am curious about your opinions re. breaking of bootlegger. As it has double layer in front, is it easy to wear every day? Maybe 30’ halfbelt would be a better option? Best would be to buy both, but my wife will kill me:)

Or you can do what I did [emoji2] I bought the 30’s half belt a year ago, and last week I placed an order for a bootlegger.
You might be thinking that this is going to be your one high end jacket, that’s what I thought at least, but that is probably not how this is going to pan out [emoji6]

Can’t give advice about the bootlegger since I don’t have one yet. But the 30’s half belt is a solid option as well. It’s more of a slim fit and has a taper from chest to hem as well. Should be a good fit for your athletic build, I think.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Brace yourself, extreme personal bias incoming... The Bootlegger is a wonderful combination of both half belt and cross zip that avoids being to M/C ish because it lacks much of the traditional biker jacket ornamentation/ pockets and zippers. The lancer/cross zip front give it just enough an edge and the half belt back makes for a true vintage classic design overall. I believe Aero produces the finest version of this style and you can indeed fit yourself with a proper trim fit if you play the numbers right. I believe you could easily go down one size, if not two and achieve the look you are after. The key is providing Aero your desired chest measurement so they can best fit you in the stock equivalent. Here are two size 40" BL of mine. Both measure around 24" p2p. The cordovan (1st pic) version had 26" sleeve and 26.5" back. The brown has 27" for both. I prefer the fit of the brown. I am 5'11" 215 lbs.
IMG_8003.JPG

IMG_7409.JPG

I've owned variations of the pattern from Vanson, Johnson Leathers and Simmons Bilt. I believe Aero has this pattern perfected over the others. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but they do. They just fit better and therefore look better.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the 30's halfbelt and the Bootlegger are both excellent choices and I recommend that you buy one of each!
If you have to choose only one I recommend the Bootlegger. Ton expressed it much better than I could, but there is something really special about this jacket. It's cool without even trying to be, and hopefully some of that rubs off on the jacket owner as well!

Wuj

New in Town
[QUOTE="ton312,
View attachment 102776
I've owned variations of the pattern from Vanson, Johnson Leathers and Simmons Bilt. I believe Aero has this pattern perfected over the others. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but they do. They just fit better and therefore look better.[/QUOTE]

This brown BL is just a crazy stuff! I want exactly the same!:)

[QUOTE="ton312,
View attachment 102776
I've owned variations of the pattern from Vanson, Johnson Leathers and Simmons Bilt. I believe Aero has this pattern perfected over the others. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but they do. They just fit better and therefore look better.

This brown BL is just a crazy stuff! I want exactly the same!:)[/QUOTE]
Do it!

Wuj

New in Town
Ok Guys, more help needed:
I asked Aero for particular dimensions. Holly from Aero told me that... I’m afraid we can’t work to specified pit to pit and shoulder measurements. The only measurements we can specify are sleeve and back length, the others would need to be based on a standard size, so we can do a 42” tapered to a 40” with 26.5” sleeve and back....”

Having a look on ton312 and his sizing almost as mine, im pretty sure that my PTP should be 24 and shoulder 19. Do You know measurements of standard 42 bootlegger? I checked old ebay sessions etc, but there are different numbers.

Ok Guys, more help needed:
I asked Aero for particular dimensions. Holly from Aero told me that... I’m afraid we can’t work to specified pit to pit and shoulder measurements. The only measurements we can specify are sleeve and back length, the others would need to be based on a standard size, so we can do a 42” tapered to a 40” with 26.5” sleeve and back....”

Having a look on ton312 and his sizing almost as mine, im pretty sure that my PTP should be 24 and shoulder 19. Do You know measurements of standard 42 bootlegger? I checked old ebay sessions etc, but there are different numbers.
From what I understand the 40" p2p on a BL is around 23.5"-24" p2p. The 42" is 25" p2p. There's an allowable variance of +/- 1/2" on any size in each direction. So a 42" would be within spec @24.5"-25.5" p2p. If you're around my size 5'11" 215lbs I'd say go with the 40". I'd be swimming in a 42" and even though it's only an inch I've learned that inch can equate to a mile. Both the tag sizes seem small given my tag size in other garments. I've fully let that notion go.
Please don't take my word as law and confirm the numbers I've referenced with Aero. I had the luxury/agony of owning a number of Bootleggers prior and the guiding hand of Thurston Bros. for fit dial in.

Reactions: Wuj

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Based on your pictures and what @ton312 says, I would go with a 40 and then specify your sleeve and body lengths. The 42 would probably be too large. I personally feel that leather jackets specifically should fit fairly slim and it's better to go slightly slim than slightly too large.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy