Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FYI: Eastman and Aero including undisclosed upcharge on overseas sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuinBruin

New in Town
This has been a hot topic on the VLJ over the last few days and I thought the folks here deserved to be clued into the situation.

Both Eastman and Aero's listed prices on their web sites include 20% UK VAT ("value added tax," the European equivalent of a sales tax). Unlike pricing in the US, it is standard in Europe to include VAT in the listed price.

The kicker is that VAT is not payable on sales outside the EU. In the words of Her Majesty's Government:

"VAT is a tax charged on goods used in the EU, so if goods are exported outside the EU, VAT isn't charged. You can zero-rate the sale, provided you get and keep evidence of the export, and comply with all other laws. You must also make sure the goods are exported, and you must get the evidence, within three months from the time of sale."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/international/exports/goods.htm#6

Thus, out-of-EU sales from Eastman and Aero should be eligible for a discount of about 17% of the list price (divide the price by 1.2 to back out the VAT component). But neither Eastman nor Aero disclose this on their web sites, and neither will apparently agree to back out the VAT on overseas sales. Thus, both companies are realizing a 20% bonus profit on all non-EU sales. Since they are not charging VAT on these sales, the portion that would otherwise go to pay VAT instead goes into their pockets.

I've bought a number of items from the UK and had the VAT taken out. This doesn't cost the seller a dime since the VAT is a tax, not part of the retail price. In other words, Eastman and Aero could back out the VAT on overseas sales and make just as much profit as they do on sales in the UK and EU. But they would apparently rather keep this windfall from overseas buyers, even when directly asked to discount the VAT amount.

Disclosure: I don't own anything from Eastman but was considering buying one of their sweaters until this issue was raised. I do own an Aero jacket and think very highly of it (it was purchased through eBay via Mark Moye several years ago). I have studied in the UK and bought a number of products from the country, and I consider myself pro-British. This isn't meant to slight our friends across the pond but only to highlight what I consider an unethical business practice.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Well worded SuinBruin. If a person doesn't want to go through the 17 or more pages of thread on VLJ, here is the cold hard facts. It is in Eastman's hands to stop or continue doing business in this manner, but the way it stands is unethical. (Do not doubt this because it is SuinBruin's first post here. He has many posts on VLJ.)

BTW, this practice also explains how the likes of AERO USA were, in theory, able to make a profit and sell at the "same prices". Lots of good info to be read, but SuinBruin's synopsis is spot on. Everyone needs to absorb this data and think what it means to them. Some may not care, I do. I will not be doing further business with said folks due to this.

tonypaj

Practically Family
"Neither will apparently...". Is this a fact or an assumption or an accusation? If one exports from EU to non-EU countries the company should not charge the VAT. There are no ifs or buts. The taxes and customs fees in the country where the goods are imported are payable by the importer.

Being in France this is not an issue, I pay the full price. When I lived in Switzerland, Aero deducted the VAT when I requested it. Then I paid the Swiss customs fees and the lower VAT, overall ending roughly paying the full price. Not an issue to me.

D

Deleted member 16736

Thank you for posting this information. I asked Aero about this recently and they said the price on the website is the price you pay regardless of where you live. Since I feel their pricing is discriminatory to overseas buyers like myself, I also will not buy from Aero until they agree to charge me what they charge everyone else (minus the VAT). Incidentally, Cultizm.com, another UK company, does back out VAT when selling to overseas customers. They sell denim and other clothing items. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Since I live in Germany I pay the VAT an am not affected by this problem, but could somebody please fill me in what VLJ stands for?

vintageleatherjackets.org
Website dedicated to mainly, but not only vintage and other jackets. A decidedly different place from here lol

too much coffee

Practically Family
Thank you so much for posting this in such an informative manner SuinBruin. I read the exchanges over at the VLJ and did not feel well versed enough as far as a thorough explanation to bring it over here. You and Jeff M. took the big guns to the mat.

Regards,
coffee

Last edited:
Touché Aerojoe.
The VAT Topic is interesting. I know "we" have a bit of info from one of the vendors in question, but being a PM, I hesitate to bring that over. I find PM's to be just that - Private, unless the sender is OK in sharing.
I'd like to hear Aero and ELC explain this. I'm on the verge of posting something else in another topic that's not gonna make folks happy. Just giving the persons time to reply to me first.

Kinda reminds me of a Hollwood Western movie..............circling the wagons to defend the position.
Some are for,sure, coffee. It's somewhat divided by country too, sadly. It's a pretty simple problem. And some don't see it as such. Don't know why, it's not a subjective matter like arm length, color, etc.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
For what is worth, this one have a British University IBA degree and I can confirm that as overseas importers, you don't have to pay VAT at all.

Besides, companies here in Europe, collect VAT taxes whenever they sell a product and they pay VAT whenever they purchase raw materials or supplies. Then, they calculate how much VAT has been paid, how much has been collected, they declare to European uncle Sam the difference, and European uncle Sam collect or give back that amount.

Forging this figure is a very serious offense. This means that if a particular company is collecting illegal VAT and then obviously not declaring this VAT, that company could be sued or even just reported to the treasure, providing relevant proof.

That been said, as European, I'm not involve in all of this and I don't know what happened here because I have to swallow VAT straight.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
One additional note;

In Europe, VAT is regulated by EU directive but there is not a common treasure yet like in the USA, each country has a department that collects its own taxes. Therefore, in this case, uncle Sam would be mother queen uncle Sam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo