Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 Zipper Date question (Pics added)

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know if a Scovil zipper on a G-1 puts an approximate date on the jacket? I found a G-1 at a local Goodwill without a label, so I was wondering if the zip would put a date on it. It's missing the buttons and was pretty wrinkled up, but the knits were in excellent shape and so was the leather and its my size.
Black Mouton collar was in excellent shape as well. Price, a whopping $4.00. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that.

fedoralover

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
Does anyone know if a Scovil zipper on a G-1 puts an approximate date on the jacket? I found a G-1 at a local Goodwill without a label, so I was wondering if the zip would put a date on it. It's missing the buttons and was pretty wrinkled up, but the knits were in excellent shape and so was the leather and its my size.
Black Mouton collar was in excellent shape as well. Price, a whopping $4.00. I figured I couldn't go wrong with that.

fedoralover

Scovil zippers began to show up on G-1s in the very late sixties or early seventies. My '67 Star (C-Series) doesn't have one, but my '72 Star (E-Series) does. I'm pretty sure my '70 Brill (D-Series) does, too...but I'm at the office right now and can't confirm.

BTW, a mouton collar indicates a mid 1969 or earlier jacket. Dynal indicates late 1969 or later. Are you sure the collar is mouton? If it is still black, I'm gussing its actually dynal as most original mouton collars faded to some degree.

AF

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Atticus Finch said:
Scovil zippers began to show up on G-1s in the very late sixties or early seventies. My '67 Star (C-Series) doesn't have one, but my '72 Star (E-Series) does. I'm pretty sure my '70 Brill (D-Series) does, too...but I'm at the office right now and can't confirm.

BTW, a mouton collar indicates a mid 1969 or earlier jacket. Dynal indicates late 1969 or later. Are you sure the collar is mouton? If it is still black, I'm gussing its actually dynal as most original mouton collars faded to some degree.

AF

Well, now you have me doubting it is. The fibers were so small and soft and comparing it to my other one that is a golden Mouton, I couldn't tell the difference. What's a good way to know for sure. BTW, it does have the USN punched in on the inside storm flap.

It was wrinkled up so bad they put a cheap price on it. When I got it home I took it into the shower and turned the hot water on it. The wrinkles come out in a matter of minutes. I'm letting it dry out good and then will put some lexol on it. The leather is in a lot better shape than I originally thought and the knits only have one small snag. I'll post some pics after I finish messing with it.

fedoralover

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
fedoralover said:
Well, now you have me doubting it is. The fibers were so small and soft and comparing it to my other one that is a golden Mouton, I couldn't tell the difference. What's a good way to know for sure. BTW, it does have the USN punched in on the inside storm flap.

It was wrinkled up so bad they put a cheap price on it. When I got it home I took it into the shower and turned the hot water on it. The wrinkles come out in a matter of minutes. I'm letting it dry out good and then will put some lexol on it. The leather is in a lot better shape than I originally thought and the knits only have one small snag. I'll post some pics after I finish messing with it.

fedoralover

It sounds like you got a fantastic deal, regardless of the jacket's vintage.

I don't know of a great way to know if a collar is dynal or mouton. I've heard various suggestions over the years, but I can't vouch for their reliability. First, look to see what kind of material is beneath the fur. If you can see that it is woven cloth, the collar is man-made. If it is skin, that's a mouton collar. Second, pluck a few fibers from the collar and burn them. If the resulting smoke has a chemical smell, like burned plastic, the collar is dynal. If it smells like a burned sheep...its mouton.

AF

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I got out in the direct sunlight and separated the fibers, man they are thick, and my wife could see some thread holes. So my mistake on it being Mouton. They did a decent job imitating it. So then that would undoubtedly make it a 70s jacket. It's a larger size than my other one, so I can wear this one when I need to layer for colder weather. Thanks for everyone's input. here's the pics.

There is nothing special about this G-1 other than the price. $4.00 for a decent large size G-1.
G1001.jpg

G1002.jpg

fedoralover

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Well, now! You may have gotten the best deal on a vintage leather flight jacket that I've seen in a long time.

I would say that your jacket's shell is goatskin, its collar is Dynal and we know that its zipper is a late sixties or early seventies scovill. The reddish knits, the almost rectangular pocket flaps and the smallish collar are also hints. My guess is that you've paid only four bucks for a solid, late D-series or early E-series Brill or Star..circa 1969-1972.

Well done!!

AF

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Atticus, thanks alot for the info. I'm kicking myself now for not taking a "before" pic of it. It's amazing how the hot water took most of the wrinkles out. The leather looked really dead until I put lexol on it and now some of the grain really stands out. It had some patches on it as you can make out the stitch holes, but from a few feet away you can't see them at all. It's a fairly large size. Arm pit to armpit across the back is 25 inches. Good jacket to wear heavier clothes under and still be able to move.

I love my A-2s, but honestly the G-1 is by far the more comfortable jacket to wear and IMHO the most under valued jacket you can buy on ebay.

fedoralover

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner