Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemens Grooming

themarilynadventures

New in Town
I just used a normal modern razor on my boyfriend because he refused to let me near him with a razor! Is it difficult to get the technique correct and what's the difference between the different types of old razors ? X

Thanks J.W I hope you like it :D

India
X

themarilynadventures

New in Town
I just used a normal modern razor on my boyfriend because he refused to let me near him with a razor! Is it difficult to get the technique correct and what's the difference between the different types of old razors ? X

Thanks J.W I hope you like it :D

India
X

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, realize the razor proper is the holder for the blade. It sets the angle and aggressiveness of the shave. Good blades make all the difference, if you buy a poor quality blade, you will get a poor shave. Merkur is notorious for a rough shaving blade, but great razors. Older Gillette DE razors still deliver wonderful shaves with good blades. Feather are probably the very sharpest out there and those who use them are fanatic in their devotion. I have very good results with Derby Extra blades and if you find budget blades marked on the back Made in Israel, stock up on them, those are great, made by American Blade CO in their Israel plant. Find Mantic's videos on youtube, they are great.

MikePotts

Practically Family
"The Barber's Paradox"...........apropos of nothing at all really, I just read it.

Suppose there is a town with just one male barber; and that every man in the town keeps himself clean-shaven: some by shaving themselves, some by attending the barber. It seems reasonable to imagine that the barber obeys the following rule: He shaves all and only those men in town who do not shave themselves.

Under this scenario, we can ask the following question: Does the barber shave himself?
Asking this, however, we discover that the situation presented is in fact impossible:

- If the barber does not shave himself, he must abide by the rule and shave himself.
- If he does shave himself, according to the rule he will not shave himself

MP

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
I used to shave with Mach 3's but was frustrated by the clogging of the blade cartridges and their super-high prices. My cousin one day proved to me there was a better way by showing off his new Double Edged safety razor by Merkur. Once he explained that the blades don't clog, provide a better shave, and are only about 10 cents a piece when bought in bulk, I was sold. Now I shave with a 1959 Gilette Fatboy and have a sizable collection of vintage Gilettes. Including the Fatboy, Slim, All of the Superspeeds (various color tips), and Super Adjustables. There's just something about that Rhodium plated brass and the craftsmanship in the old razors...

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I recently joined the ranks of the safety-razor shavers. So far so good. Takes some getting used to with the technique, but it's fun and well worth it.

TomS

One Too Many
I've been following your thread. Thinking about following suit with a Merkur HD 34C. We'll see!!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I've been following your thread. Thinking about following suit with a Merkur HD 34C. We'll see!!

I say go for it. My shaves have been getting progressively better and closer. Now I've got some all-natural aftershave balm which should improve the experience even more!

I was at the antique store on Saturday eying the straight razors and strops...I have a feeling one will be in my future.

dnjan

One Too Many
You also need a sharpening stone. You can buy razor-specific vintage stones, but if not, any good-quality knife-stone will suffice.
Good stones for sharpening straight razors can probably be most easily found by looking at companies that provide stones to woodworkers. Woodworkers who are proficient with hand tools will have plane and chisel blades that rival straight razors for sharpness.

I generally use a hard Arkansas stone for honing, but Japanese stones work as well.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
For those who are interested in Old-School wet shaving, with Double-Edged Safety razors or straight razors, go to The Badger and the Blade forums. They're to shaving what the Fedora Lounge is to Fedoras. Everything you could ever want to know about different razors and anything related to shaving PERIOD in beautiful, exhaustive, obsessive detail. : D

http://badgerandblade.com/

gear-guy

Practically Family
I use a merkur long handle double edge safety razor and taylor of old bond st. shaving cream with a badger brush. I shave my face and head and will never go back to the modern razors. A little getting use to but it is a much closer shave and easier of your skin. I should also mention that my average cost per shave is appox. 5 cents. What can I say, I'm frugal.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'll second that gear guy.
I bought a Merkur short handle 5yrs ago and I don't know why I waited so long to do it!
As for the blades, I use the platinum Merkur.
There was a mention of Merkur blades providing a rough shave, I've never had that happen.
My shave soap is Marlborough, with a badger brush.
For variety, I use the Harris Marlborough aftershave, the Sandalwood aftershave, or Col Conk Bayrum.
After my nephew found out how little I spend to shave year to year (and that Art of Shaving has sensitive skin soaps), he got into it as well. :)
The only problem is using a new blade. Have to use that alum pencil for the first few days.

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've been shaving with a Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip for a few weeks, and I'm curious: How many days do you guys go before replacing your blades. I've been using mine for a week -- am I throwing them away too soon?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My beard grows fast, but even at that, I change blades every 6 weeks.
Actually could be longer, could be less. I change it out when the smooth shave takes longer than usual. :)
When I shave, I change sides. One side for the right, one side for the left.

gear-guy

Practically Family
If I would shave my face only I could get approx. 5 shaves, but with shaving my head and face 3 on the average sometimes 4 if I stretch it. Using Shark blades, they have been good to me but don't stay sharp for too long.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I decided to try the disposable razors a while back when I was having trouble getting good blades for my old Gillette. Can't even find the Gillette razors anymore. I remember getting shaved by a disposable in the hospital and man was that a clean, close shave. I'm quite pleased with the disposables. It is not easy to cut yourself with disposables, you have to work at it. They're not expensive, use one for a week and throw it away and start a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael