Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissHuff

A-List Customer
Here a couple of photos of ones I have made.

This is how NOT to lace your corset lol.

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02729.jpg

It wasn't really laced tight on the bottom and it can be shown by the gaping in the front. Lesson: Don't lace yourself in when you're drunk and think it'll be a good idea to leave it loose to dance. My friend standing next to me is wearing one I made for her that goes down to cover the top of her hips and its a little difficult to tell due to her arm but it helped a lot with the bulge factor.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Goldwyn, I'm thinking it's the way your corset is made. First, I don't think there's enough boning in it to support and flex with your curvy curves, and second, if you compare yours to my shorter new victorian, you can see how my boning curves more with my body and you can see at least three bones in front on both sides. You seem to only have two bones on each side, and they are still straight up and down when laced. I'd opt a new corset sweetie. And if you get another underbust, get the one that has a curved cut out, like how underwire in a bra would be. This one is not an underbust, but you can see how the boning contours, esp. in the bust and hip areas. There is a special angle at the hip. http://laracorsets.com/images/Corsets_by_LaraCorsets/1996_1904_blue_brocade.jpg
Look at the side veiw of Miss Huff's as well, yours doesn't seem to have that? And I'd look for bit longer hip line too. That corset just isn't doing YOU justice! ;)
Tho I love the pink and black!

Miss Huff you sexy little thing you! Grrr baby!
Nikki

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
smash my booty down. See, my butt is flat enough as it is without my Rago making it near invisible! Are there any Rago-esque girdles that don't give you a pancake butt? It's making me crazy!

I've become convinced that all girdles do this. They take the most off of your hips and butt, when most women want inches taken off their waist :)

ShortClara

One Too Many
Pigeon, I hear you. I'm intrigued by all this, but since I already have a 10+ inch difference between my waist and my hips, I'm a little afraid of looking freakish in one. I can look a little cartooney in certain clothes as it is.

You ladies look wonderful!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
ShortClara said:
Pigeon, I hear you. I'm intrigued by all this, but since I already have a 10+ inch difference between my waist and my hips, I'm a little afraid of looking freakish in one. I can look a little cartooney in certain clothes as it is.

I think a nice well fitted corset looks lovely on everyone. One that is closely fitted, not tightlaced, perfectly accentuates a woman's curves. Embrace the curves:D

ShortClara

One Too Many
MissHuff said:
I think a nice well fitted corset looks lovely on everyone. One that is closely fitted, not tightlaced, perfectly accentuates a woman's curves. Embrace the curves:D

Oh, I embrace them baby! :D I wouldn't change them for anything! I wasn't thinking of just wearing one in a non-cinchy way, though. I've been enlightened! :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I popped into What Katie Did on my lunch hour last week and finally got my hands on the Rago power mesh waist cincher. I really hope I don't get used to the firmness and want to wear it everyday! I also treated myself to their bullet bra and some stockings.

Everyone's corsets are great. I was very into corsets when I was a 17 year old goth (let's not go there lol) and wore them on a regular basis. I had a couple of the Vollers corsets and a custom made one from Breathless, a rubber shop in Camden, which cost me a fortune. I wore a 26" in corsets and loved the shape they gave me. I've sold most of them and kept one, not that I have any chance of fitting into it!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShortClara said:

I have the same waist to hip ratio as you too. I remember when I first started wearing vintage and dresses would accentuate my waist and hips I was traumatized! I thought I looked crazy! I appreciate it now though. :)

PS

A-List Customer
HTML:
I popped into What Katie Did on my lunch hour last week and finally got my hands on the Rago power mesh waist cincher. I really hope I don't get used to the firmness and want to wear it everyday! I also treated myself to their bullet bra and some stockings.

Now you've gone and done it! Do you like the Power mesh cincher? I've been putting it off because I have the pink and black cincher the 721, I believe.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only nutjob who thinks she looks better without a girdle? I think it's because the girdle did more to squish my hips than my waist. My waist is a bit thick, so having a larger bust and larger hips makes the waist look smaller (42-35-41). It's not so noticable with a dress with a fuller skirt, but when I tried my new wiggle dress on with it, there was a big difference. I look much more hourglassy without the girdle.

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
Not at all! I think it really just depends on your body and if you can get away without it then go for it! :) I haven't had the chance to buy one or even try one on other than my small wedding one which wasn't a full girdle and that worked for me.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
kamikat said:
Am I the only nutjob who thinks she looks better without a girdle? I think it's because the girdle did more to squish my hips than my waist. My waist is a bit thick, so having a larger bust and larger hips makes the waist look smaller (42-35-41). It's not so noticable with a dress with a fuller skirt, but when I tried my new wiggle dress on with it, there was a big difference. I look much more hourglassy without the girdle.

Then you should try combining a regular open bottomed girdle with a waist cincher or a longline bra, or try a high waisted girdle or a corselette.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I'm pretty much ready to take the plunge and order a Rago girdle. Regular undergarments are starting to make me look like an exploded can of Pillsbury biscuits. :(

I had a bad experience with a shaper garment once. I ordered it to fit my (ample) hips and the bra area was so big I could've have packed my pajamas in there for later, plus a snack. Needless to say, I'm a little gun shy.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Lola Getz said:
I had a bad experience with a shaper garment once. I ordered it to fit my (ample) hips and the bra area was so big I could've have packed my pajamas in there for later, plus a snack. Needless to say, I'm a little gun shy.

Lola, I have the same problems getting them to fit me too. I'm very "pear-shaped" and I'm also looking for something that will fit me on both top and bottom. But I do like the idea of extra storage for pajamas and a snack! lol lol

SarahLouise

Practically Family
PS said:
HTML:

Now you've gone and done it! Do you like the Power mesh cincher? I've been putting it off because I have the pink and black cincher the 721, I believe.

I really love it, I would wear it everyday if I could ;) It gives great hold and shape and is really comfortable. Only problem is when I wear it my clothes are a bit loose (which is more noticable on skirts) but that is to be expected as it cinches you in slightly. I'm going to get one in white too. I highly recommend them!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Lola Getz said:
I'm pretty much ready to take the plunge and order a Rago girdle. Regular undergarments are starting to make me look like an exploded can of Pillsbury biscuits. :(

lol It would save on luggage...especially if your flying...

Have you thought about separates instead of a one piece...a bra with either a high waisted open bottom or pany girdle? This way you can choose the individual components that fit appropriately

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Hi penny,
Yes, that's what I'm in the process of doing--separates. I really wanted a 1 piece shaper option though because, well, 1.) I'm lazy and 2.) I hoped to get a smoother line without too many contraptions. I did find a sale Rago 1 piece but there were no returns allowed (I understand why though) but I just can't bring myself to buy something that might be shuffled off to Lola's Closet Island of Illfitting Garments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner