Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Age Overcoats, Modern Day Equivalents?

Roan1930

Familiar Face
Hello All,
Ive been looking around for a while now, and haven't had much luck finding any real 1920s or 30s inspired overcoats. I really love and admire overcoats from those era's. I just wanted to know are the any modern day equivalents or reproductions? It seems that belted wool overcoat has just vanished. If anybody knows any sources I would love to hear :) !!!

Some examples about what I'm talking about ,
7dbfb0bca008717b12e93576ff1248fe.jpg
9e44470d18854e282e20134b17ae9732.jpg
fb603849bf8edcaf6389c5466fd9666e.jpg
72433bcf2349c33fb27908ab03cba8c1.jpg
a3a8a5469490f5f89d053b70ad56efc0.jpg
75d98f8750154e444f35eda2d8613514.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one article of clothing of which you can truly see the degeneration of materials and workmanship that has happened over the years. Fortunately, Ebay and Etsy have plenty of beautiful ones from the '60's and before going for a song right now. You cant miss with a Schneider's Loden coat, for example, a coat that's both very cool and functional and will last you forever.

Roan1930

Familiar Face
Thank you guys so much :) It's amazing how much work and details were put into coats back in the day. Always loved the double breasted style they look awesome :D

Roan1930

Familiar Face
I'm just having a hard time finding a fully belted one.

Similar to this,
176bf50d82754a9b05f538ffd23290f4.jpg

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
You don't see so many overcoats, for men or women, in the UK these days as so many use cars, same with hats. Also we don't seem to have the harsh winters that we used too.
I bought a bespoke heavy coat last year in very good condition for £5, bargain. I had to take it to a tailors(not a dry cleaners that did alterations) It was then another £50 to get the sleeves shortened and taken in slightly. Bargain? YES :)

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
The reason these have disappeared is most likely because now we have "technical" fabrics, so people are just going to wear a lightweight North Face down puffer, instead of a heavy huge wool overcoat.
Lack of style and elegance is the price they pay.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
While I also have a few down puffers, I love wearing wool in the winter.
I inherited two of my great uncle's long overcoats that are just beautiful: one green Austrian made Loden coat, and a belted navy blue elephant hair one.
I've had them for years but sadly never wore them yet because I still have to get aroung finding a competent mens tailor in my area, to alter them for my size.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
Another reason for the disappearing of those styles is that today's poor workmanship and mass-standardisation of sizes wouldn't be able to make these garments comfortable.

An overcoat as bulky as were those we see in the illustrations would be a true nightmare to wear with modern-style lowish armholes. The weight of the fabric, the drape around your chest pulling arms down... And even worse when worn in conjunction with a modern jacket with low armholes. It would look terrible, other than being uncomfortable.

willyto

One Too Many
If you want one just buy a vintage one, there are plenty on Ebay. There aren't any modern reproductions out there that you can find for the price of a vintage one.

RomanImperator

One of the Regulars
Ive had good luck at thrift stores and estate sales. Just be patient and frequent these two places often. I was at an estate sale last weekend that had about 6 or 7 beautiful 40s/50s overcoats. I ended up only leaving with one. Estate sales are the way to go.

d4nimal

Familiar Face
I picked up a Crombie great coat last year on sale during the summer. It's a half belt, not full, though I have to say I can't recall seeing a full belt overcoat off the top of my head around town (Philadelphia). They're quite pricey, I think list is >$2000 USD, though I see a couple on sale every year at end of season.
theodore coat.jpg

I posted a pic of it on me in the Show me your overcoat thread, but here's a pic of the back of mine as well. I'm not great with dating to decades, but I believe it appears to be in the realm of what you're talking about. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

IMG_3871-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael