Golden Era Photographers

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by lyburnum, Oct 26, 2007.

1. lyburnum

lyburnum Practically Family

I was interested to see whether any of you had some favourite golden era photographers? A few of mine are Madame Yevonde, Philippe Halsman, Horst, Irving Penn and Jacques-Henri Lartigue. And there's probably others I've forgotten!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShortClara

ShortClara One Too Many

Wow - fantastic photographs! I confess to being entirely ignorant about photographers, so this thread will be wonderful to watch!

Love the lady in the wine :)

3. Maj.Nick Danger

Maj.Nick Danger I'll Lock Up

Dorothea Lang

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Her photo documentation of the dust bowl was phenomenal.

4. BigLittleTim

BigLittleTim Familiar Face

Vogue...

Oh my God! :eek:

I was scrolling down through your post, and had just gotten to the Horst image "The Corset", when Madonna's Vogue came on my random-shuffle iTunes!

That image was copied to a 't' in the video.

-BigLittleTim

5. BigLittleTim

BigLittleTim Familiar Face

Society Photographers

Aside from the famous photo journalists and fashion photographers, what about the society photographers, some well known, who captured our grandparents' images on important occasions?

Bacharach (sp?) was the great 'society photographer' for most of the Twentieth Century. I think they're now defunct, but I remember their studio on Boylston Street always had one of their famous society portraits on display. The day Jackie Kennedy died her wedding portrait was put up in their window. It was stunning to see the crowd in front of the window that day.

Somewhere in Auntie Mame (the book) she comments on the "standard Bacharach society portrait" of Victoria Upson, her nephew's fiancee:
    "She IS pretty. Bit of a mean mouth, though." :)

On a side note:
    WHY can't modern studio portraitists get the same effects that the old photographers did?
    I have an old studio portrait of my infant mother, her father, HIS father, and HIS MOTHER! (My great grand-mother).
    It's a BEAUTIFUL photo; well composed, well lit, and beautifully developed.
    We decided to have my sister and her kids photographed with my mom and my grandfather, in the same poses. It was HORRIBLE! What was the secret, back in the day? Any classic photographers with studios in here, in the Boston area??

-BigLittleTim

6. Magadag

Magadag New in Town

I like the photos of jewish-german YVA. She was living and working in Berlin in the 20s and 30s until the Nazis putted her in concentration camp and killed her in 1938. Here for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She loved to do photo assemblies and was making very good advertising photos. She also made photo stories. Very good work.

-Jörg

7. CharlieH.

CharlieH. One Too Many

Weegee!

[​IMG]

8. Novella

Novella Practically Family

The ones I can think of right now:

Jacques-Henri Lartigue
    Weegee
    Brassai
    Henri Cartier Bresson

9. lyburnum

lyburnum Practically Family

As a photographer I would say it's entirely possible to recreate the look of forties photography, but mostly there just isn't a desire for it anymore. On top of that, I think most modern studios over complicate things, plus the equipment they were using back then was very different to the sort used in studios now.

There are those dedicated to recreating that look though. I don't know about the Boston area but I know in London we have Gordon Ayres, we regularly appears at swing events to take photos. There are some of his photos on this site, as I can't seem to find a definite homepage for him

http://noiresque.com/sandrasite/gallery2.htm
    http://www.cc41.net/thrilling-thirties.html

10. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

Man Ray

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John Gutmann

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Fletch

Fletch I'll Lock Up

IANA pro, but I do think that it's a case of the esthetic having turned over so completely that there is just no feeling for it any longer. It's like sound engineering, where a similar situation exists. The technology has become so much more advanced that doing things any other way is just wrong.

It might be because photography is no longer a young field. In any established craft, pros become pros by doing things professionally and not breaking the paradigms. Craft makes a way for art, true, but artists become artists by making brand new paradigms, not mastering old ones. So besides a few oddballs, who's left?

12. _tone

_tone New in Town

13. Jack Armstrong

Jack Armstrong Familiar Face

Although his work falls toward the end of the Golden Era, Peter Gowland did the finest glamour photography ever. For decades, Gowland was to glamour photography what Gil Elvgren is to painted pinups:

http://www.petergowland.com/glamour6.html

14. Camille

Camille Familiar Face

I adore Walker Evans. Especially his Subway Portraits. The torn movie poster is my all-time favourite, however.
    [​IMG]

And also Clarence Sinclair Bull's Garbo-pictures.
    [​IMG]

15. Camille

Camille Familiar Face

Speaking of vintage photographers: I have this picture that I have -no- idea who took.

[​IMG]

Anybody here that have an idea, or that's seen it before?

16. Jack Armstrong

Jack Armstrong Familiar Face

No. But it sure cries out for a caption, doesn't it?

17. martinsantos

martinsantos Practically Family

Alfred Eisentaedt. Robert Capa. Cartier-Bresson. Weegee (Artur Felig)... The very best, to me.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  18. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

Indeed. The Jack Delano shot of the Super Chief fueling up at Albequerque is my computer wallpaper at the moment.

-Dave

19. Miss Golightly

Miss Golightly Call Me a Cab

Norman Parkinson
    George Hoyningen-Huene

20. Atomic Age

Atomic Age Practically Family