Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good movies

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I need some recommendations for either a light-hearted or comedy movie....the mister has gone to Cabo.....without me...and I'm bored out of my mind....help! I need a time killer!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Thin Man series with Myrna Loy & William Powell. In fact, I Love You Again and Double Wedding with Loy & Powell as well. And one I recently saw which you probably won't find (but never hurts to look!) is Ball of Fire with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper. Stanwyck cuts loose with a load of 40's/jazz era slang that's a riot. Bachelor and the Bobbysoxer with Cary Grant, Myrna Loy and a teenaged Shirley Temple. That, at least, with the others listed already, would be a good starter...

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
great minds think alike

I easily recommend the comedies of William Powell or Cary Grant.
Then I saw the others recommendations and saw I was obviously right.lol

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
ANY 1940s film written/directed by Preston Sturges: Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Great McGinty, The Lady Eve, The Miracle of Mogran's Creek, etc. They're ALL hilarious and reflect the period wonderfully. (He also wrote some great films in the 30s before he became a director, like Easy Living.)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
ANY 1940s film written/directed by Preston Sturges: Sullivan's Travels, The Palm Beach Story, The Great McGinty, The Lady Eve, The Miracle of Mogran's Creek, etc. They're ALL hilarious and reflect the period wonderfully.

SNAP!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
If you have a little extra time, the 1944 Frank Capra version of Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant, Raymond Masey, Peter Lorre and Edward Everett Horton is priceless! It runs two hours and it's a delight.

If you want a later Cary Grant, try Father Goose with Leslie Caron. It's 1964 but it was a landmark film in that it marked his departure from suave leading man status.

Or, although it's also 60's, discover the delights of 1965's The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Keenen Wynn, Natalie Wood, Ross Martin and a great supporting cast.

Or if you like cold war humor: Billy Wilder's 1961 film One, Two, Three has James Cagny in a wonderful story full of characters - and set in West Berlin.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
If you have a little extra time, the 1944 Frank Capra version of Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant, Raymond Masey, Peter Lorre and Edward Everett Horton is priceless! It runs two hours and it's a delight.

I've got plenty of extra time!
Casablanca sounds wonderful....thanks so much for the suggestions!

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
A Little Late

Hey mysterygal -

I just joined the boards (and love it already) and thought I'd pitch in my two cents on good comedies, although I'm sure I'm late to the party!

Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour are in a wonderful movie called "They Got Me Covered." It's really hard to find on DVD - I'm hopeful that they'll make more. But you might get lucky and find it at a video store.

"Ball of Fire" stars Barbara Stanwyck, Gary Cooper, and Dana Andrews - very good flick. (but also may be hard to find in the rental store, but you can find it online).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay