Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwear / Aero

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I need feedback from FL members on the following;
Regarding the Rough Wear A-2 horsehide in light russet.
Goodwear offers one for a certain price & minimum wait of 8 months.
Aero offers similar one like the Real Deal 15142 pattern for less price.
My first priority is that it be well made . Not having experience with either,
& before I bite the bullet & flip for the jacket, I need 2 cents worth of what
you all think…final decision is my sole responsibility ! Thanks.

Edward

Bartender
Bottom line: Goodwear make the most accurate A2 replicas on the market today - bar none. If that's your ultimate priority, go to them. ELC are normally regarded as the next best. A lot of folks over the years have considered Aero's A2s to be not quite as historically accurate as ELC's. Not that they aren't representative of the WW" vibe in general, but apparently they miss some of the very tiny details of the specific contracts. I have an ELC Roughwear in Horse, and an Aero in Goat. On balance, for some reason I can't put my finger on, I just prefer the Aero. They are both beautiful jackets. I really wanted a Goodwear, but by the time I got the cash together the pound had dropped through the floor against the dollars (about 1.45US <=> 1.00G~BP at that point, as opposed to the glory days of USD2.20 to the pound!), taking it out of my reach. Maybe one day.

In my personal opinion as items of civilian clothing they're all equally as good as each other. What you really pay the premium for is the historical accuracy in the very minutest details. If like me you really only want a jacket that is a good representation of how they were in the period, one to wear as a civilian, and you aren't as concerned about every last detail as, say, somebody putting together the most accurate living history uniform they can, then you're not buying "substandard" to go with the Aero. Unless you really want to buy new, I'd suggest watching eBay for used Aeros and ELC if you go that way. I bought both of mine for around GBP200 each a couple of years ago. Used values seem to have gone up a little since then with the price rises in the new jackets, but it's still a much cheaper route. Both of my A2s are seal, and I fancy one in russet. I'm keen to try a Bill Kelso as some forum members have been very pleased with those and they are a very good price, but I can't recommend based on personal experience as I have never handled one.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
My advice, having owned Good Wear and multiple ELC jackets is to hunt around for a used Good Wear on EBay or buy from one of the many who put the money down on a Good Wear, wait many months and then frequently sell fairly quickly (before starting the process again). Given the long wait, some change body shape (gain/lose weight), change their preference, etc., etc.
John's jackets look marvellous with a bit of wear on them (and you'll save yourself a shedload of cash)...

archbury918

One of the Regulars
If you want only one jacket, bite the bullet on the wait and get the Good Wear. You will not regret it.
On the other hand, if you're like many here, you will likely be bitten by the "jacket bug" and own several. In that case, try one of the other makers as well. My preference is Aero over ELC, but again, thats my opinion. Many used jackets circulate here, ebay, and the VLJ forum. It sometimes is better to acquire one that has been given some wear, and certainly will be less than original purchase price.
Only you can make the call as for what you wish to invest in a jacket, but I've yet to meet anyone that has regretted getting one.
M

Both Aero and gw make top quality jackets, custom made to your measurements, from top quality leather.
If you want historical accuracy to the point where the small number of A2 afficianados compliment the accuracy of your A2, go gw.
If you want an A2 that has all the "vibe" of a "vintage" A2 with the same basic fit and style but aren't concerned with it having to be a dead-on reproduction of a specific contract, Aero fills the bill nicely.

Last edited:

HighandDry

A-List Customer
For sure all good advice.

Personally, I didn't really care for historical accuracy. I was looking (like you) for a well made jacket, but one that fit my idea of an A2. John was great about recommending contract types, leather, sizing, etc.

Although the wait was long, it was well worth it. Just a great jacket and John really wants you to be happy. Although Aero makes great jackets, there's something to be said for the fact that the guy taking your order is also the one making it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to all for feedback,
I took the bite & opted for Goodwear.
Nice folks, they reassured me that "nothing is written in stone", should I have to make changes as time goes by.
One thing….how do you guys manage the waiting game ? Help !

767fo

One of the Regulars
Thanks to all for feedback,
I took the bite & opted for Goodwear.
Nice folks, they reassured me that "nothing is written in stone", should I have to make changes as time goes by.
One thing….how do you guys manage the waiting game ? Help !

You made a very wise choice.

I think the only "problem" with JC's jackets is that literally, I think once they get worn in, some would have a hard time knowing for sure that they're not real WWII jackets.
I've seen two in person now and I have to say, it d@mn impressive. I'd imagine in some years down the road, someone(s) will buy a GW thinking it was 70+ years old. Yep, they're that good. The same for my Aero 50's HBD - it feels/looks like something that I would have bought in the USA in the 50's. My Aero A2's are likewise nice, but somehow not quite as "real" feeing as a JC creation. Maybe I haven't held enough Aero's from WWII to compare. Maybe they're still too new. All I know if every one I own I feel special wearing. I am trying not to think about my GW order. I know that I'll have it for this fall/winter, and that's good enough - it will be a nice surprise when construction begins :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters