Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

I only cuffed jeans as a kid when Mom got smart enough to buy them too long to avoid the inevitable 2" growth spurt every other month. Before that, the Sears Toughskins would get short, and she'd "fix" them by cutting off old ends of the last pairs and sewing them on the bottom. We were relatively "light on cash" while Dad was in the many years of schooling, so cuffs beat extensions.
Slim/slightly tapered jeans are fine.

As to the "plight of the Millennial", I'll not get into that game here too deeply...
Yes, the middle class is ****ed.
Yes, the poor are also ****ed.
What we see is the building up of the top 5% and the rest will be battling over what's left.
However, when someone spends a lot of money (i.e. school loans) on a degree that is useless, well, you get a big bill and no job.
OTOH, my daughter has a school loan bill larger than my mortgage, but went to med school and can pay it off. See where I'm going?

The sooner we realize that we've been duped by all politicians and many of the tech giants/big pharma/banks/Wall St and their selfish behavior, the sooner we can maybe all work together to fix things. That said, I'd wager I'll be dead before that happens - or, buy some skinny jeans ;)

The sooner we realize that we've been duped by all politicians and many of the tech giants/big pharma/banks/Wall St and their selfish behavior, the sooner we can maybe all work together to fix things. That said, I'd wager I'll be dead before that happens - or, buy some skinny jeans ;)

Yes! But the question is, fix things how? The end result, whichever side "wins", doesn't look like it's going to be pretty. Can't think of a single example throughout the history when it was. The big guys can't let go of something that's been a sole meaning of their existence for generations and the rest has nothing else left to let go of, so. . .
But yeah, I'll probably be long gone by then and even if it happened now, I doubt I'd have anything to contribute so as it stands... I try not to care. I try to care for as few things and as many people as possible.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Aren't millennials born during the 90's or something? I doubt any of us here can be millennials. I mean, HD is probably the youngest person on this board. . .

Man, I so totally already lost count by the time I hit my twenties. Totally.

Anyone who was a kid around the turn of the century, so born in the early 80s up to the late 90s and even a few years after 2000 count as millennials.

My goal is to retire in MI. Buy one of those IKEA houses, slap it on a wooded lot not far from Lake Michigan and work in a hardware store cutting keys and making people feel bad about not knowing which part they need to fix their sink.
That all happens after my daughter graduates from college so in like 100years.
It's either that or they roll my corpse from my office to the dumpster still in my chair.

Ironically, Stetson USA posted this on their Instagram today.
Gotta say, those jeans just don't work with boots.

Screen Shot.png

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ironically, Stetson USA posted this on their Instagram today.
Gotta say, those jeans just don't work with boots.

View attachment 81406
This is exactly what I was talking about when it comes to tapering: all you can wear are low top trainers, perhaps a pair of Converse, anything else you end up looking as you're wearing banana boots. It just seems too limiting.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Aren't millennials born during the 90's or something? I doubt any of us here can be millennials. I mean, HD is probably the youngest person on this board. . .

Man, I so totally already lost count by the time I hit my twenties. Totally.
Hey man, I was born in '91 and am definitely a millenial! Are you telling me I'm not acting my age?! :p
Shock and horror!

@ButteMT61 how did he get the jeans over the boots?! It must have taken the entire wardrobe department to make that happen.

@Fonzie and what is your waist? Most wider fitting jeans are actually more expensive unless you want to go the Levi's route... but that means getting jeans not made in USA, Japan, or the like.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Wow! How the times have changed! Just a few short years ago, telling someone they were a hipster was the highest style compliment possible, but now look- it's a highest form of insult! The hipster thing must really be over. I hope prices go back to normal.

zebedee and Monitor made some interesting points.

The super short 'hidden' socks? Yeah, but like 'dad jeans', if it wasn't them, it'd be something else. The whole point is 'in-group/out-group' demarkation. I could wear all the clothes these kids wear, and still be 'out group' because of my age. And that's what's really going on here, young people desperately trying to find an identity for themselves in a world of malls. Everything is cookie-cutter. And they're so young and worldly-unwise that they can't confidently say 'this is who I am', all they can say is 'this is who I'm not'.

And there's nothing wrong with that per se; every generation of teenagers has gone through the same thing since civilization began; the struggle to accept adulthood and it's responsibilities, and adult social interactions and social relationships.

What's especially strange about many millenials is the extent to which the education system and society has molly-coddled them. It's really done them a disservice. It has failed to teach them how to form realistic expectations, set goals and challenges, and how to manage failure so that you can experience personal growth.

As a result, many of them leave school with an overwhelming sense of entitlement, and an over-inflated sense of self worth, that leaves them feeling 'cheated' out of life from the get-go. They remain man-children whining teenagers into their 30's.

I mean, look at woodyear's comment about his generation 'having it harder than any other generation' in history! Wow! Really?
What about The Great Depression? The Sub-prime Crisis? The Vietnam draft? The Greatest Generation? The Civil War? The Holocaust?

What woodyear means when he says this is that his sense of entitlement isn't being met and he feels cheated. And yet, he lives in an unprecedented era of international peace and security, where his inviolable human rights are respected more than they ever have been in human history. He has an unprecedented level of access to health-care and education, and is guaranteed more access to opportunity and resources than any previous generation in human history.

School should have taught him that he has to fight for what he wants in life, an everyday struggle of hard work. Life owes him nothing.

If I'm wrong, and his generation really has it harder, then good. They deserve it. They are a generation more desperately in need of character building than any previous generation in history.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Wow! How the times have changed! Just a few short years ago, telling someone they were a hipster was the highest style compliment possible, but now look- it's a highest form of insult! The hipster thing must really be over. I hope prices go back to normal.

The super short 'hidden' socks? Yeah, but like 'dad jeans', if it wasn't them, it'd be something else. The whole point is 'in-group/out-group' demarkation. I could wear all the clothes these kids wear, and still be 'out group' because of my age. And that's what's really going on here, young people desperately trying to find an identity for themselves in a world of malls. Everything is cookie-cutter. And they're so young and worldly-unwise that they can't confidently say 'this is who I am', all they can say is 'this is who I'm not'.

And there's nothing wrong with that per se; every generation of teenagers has gone through the same thing since civilization began; the struggle to accept adulthood and it's responsibilities, and adult social interactions and social relationships.

What's especially strange about many millenials is the extent to which the education system and society has molly-coddled them. It's really done them a disservice. It has failed to teach them how to form realistic expectations, set goals and challenges, and how to manage failure so that you can experience personal growth.

As a result, many of them leave school with an overwhelming sense of entitlement, and an over-inflated sense of self worth, that leaves them feeling 'cheated' out of life from the get-go. They remain man-children whining teenagers into their 30's.

I mean, look at woodyear's comment about his generation 'having it harder than any other generation' in history! Wow! Really?
What about The Great Depression? The Sub-prime Crisis? The Vietnam draft? The Greatest Generation? The Civil War? The Holocaust?

What woodyear means when he says this is that his sense of entitlement isn't being met and he feels cheated. And yet, he lives in an unprecedented era of international peace and security, where his inviolable human rights are respected more than they ever have been in human history. He has an unprecedented level of access to health-care and education, and is guaranteed more access to opportunity and resources than any previous generation in human history.

School should have taught him that he has to fight for what he wants in life, an everyday struggle of hard work. Life owes him nothing.

If I'm wrong, and his generation really has it harder, then good. They deserve it. They are a generation more desperately in need of character building than any previous generation in history.

Look man can please stop projecting whatever issues you have with your teenage kids onto me? You don't know me, and Honestly from the way you're comporting yourself here today I'd prefer to keep it that way.

I factually never said any of the things you just attributed to me, in fact I said life is what you make of it. I said we are the first generation who will as an aggregate do worse than our parents which is a factual statement, every other generation has exercised upward mobility, but that trend is over now, and for many of the reasons I put fourth. Stop attributing fake words and ideas to me, it's bizarre and uncomfortable and reeks of that weird thing grandparents do about having to walk 20 miles in the snow uphill to school.

And I really don't need a lecture about hard work either, we don't need to go into how successful any of us are or aren't, but you seem to be the one who's bitter at life, as evidenced by this incoherent rant which you've just misdirected at me, a stranger who you know nothing about, on the internet.

Woodyear

Familiar Face
I hear your pain on the hipsters and the rednecks but there's far more to our generation than this. If you don't like your surroundings you can always change them - the world is basically what you make of it.

Seriously, we are the first generation who will do worse than our parents, but look at the hand we've been dealt. The middle class is evaporating, we don't get to have education free, high paying factory work guaranteed to us straight out of highschool. Hell many of us never really even had dads in the home as strong role models. We are a generation of men raised by women. We've had to carve our own way through a complex new globalized world but many of us have managed to do it without neck beards or skinny jeans or blasted country music.

Also I have a somewhat sharp way of talking, this can translate over to my writing a bit. I'm not and haven't been trying to offend anyone; just contributing my two cents.

P.S. Monitor you're my new favorite person.

Try actually reading my post instead of hurling baseless insults, I laid out some of the challenges facing young people today, and how some of us have been able to rise to meet those challenges without compromising who we are. I never said we had anything harder than anyone else. Again, please stop attributing your misguided ideologies to me, and maybe we can actually have a civil conversation about our differences of opinions on how ones jeans should fit without insane accusations and mischaracterizations.

Here's a few articles referencing the loss of upward mobility which I've referenced. It isn't whining it's just a statement of fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...re-than-their-parents/?utm_term=.cc4e0dd96507

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/13/millennials-falling-behind-boomer-parents/96530338/

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up

The only issue I have is with your blanket statements about millenials.

Sure, a lot of us are like that, but I'd like to be left out of that classification if I could be. Plus, I know many others my age around this and other forums like that that don't fit the millenial description you talk about. Not everyone fits their generation description.

Not that I disagree with you completely. I agree with you about our generation not having it the hardest. As a history major, I can say that that's not even something that can be calculated.
The worst thing is that this issue is only getting worse. Gen X and Y parents are awful and are mollycoddling kids worse than my Baby boomer parents did me as a millenial. Something will give eventually.

zebedee

One Too Many
At least no-one's mentioned Chinese factories yet. Things get really lively when that happens.

I think Woodyear's getting more sinned against than sinning here and is doing a good job of articulating himself. I dunno if subprime belongs in the same category as the Holocaust or WWII (or skinny jeans in general) and a person doesn't choose when he or she gets born.

I'm gonna wear some burgundy Converse knock-offs (by Dunlop- I ain't paying extortionate prices for canvas) some truly crap, blown out jeans and an Aero Cafe Racer (by Aero- I ain't... oh, wait) and bowl off to the airport, where the average traveller's attire will make my clothing choices seem like an intercession from the Virgin Mary.

(Ey, sometimes those hidden socks are great, especially in hot weather.)

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@dudewuttheheck, it wasn't a blanket statement. I said 'many' at least twice, and 'all' not once. I fully accept that not all millenials are candy-a$$ pansies and special snowflakes, and with your hair, you should certainly hold your head high.

@Woodyear, you said, " the challenges facing young people today, and how some of us have been able to rise to meet those challenges without compromising who we are."
Well, welcome to the real world son! What do you want? A medal? Everything you just said, that's my base. "Compromising who we are"? Ha! That's funny! Is that gonna be your excuse for not taking a job that's 'beneath you' so that you can feed your kids?
Keep 'em coming, I haven't laughed so hard for years!

Woodyear

Familiar Face
@dudewuttheheck, it wasn't a blanket statement. I said 'many' at least twice, and 'all' not once. I fully accept that not all millenials are candy-a$$ pansies and special snowflakes, and with your hair, you should certainly hold your head high.

@Woodyear, you said, " the challenges facing young people today, and how some of us have been able to rise to meet those challenges without compromising who we are."
Well, welcome to the real world son! What do you want? A medal? Everything you just said, that's my base. "Compromising who we are"? Ha! That's funny! Is that gonna be your excuse for not taking a job that's 'beneath you' so that you can feed your kids?
Keep 'em coming, I haven't laughed so hard for years!

There's something profoundly off with you. Excuse for not taking a job so I can feed my kids? I'm 32, I have no kids and no immediate plans for any. I've been working at the same fortune 100 company for 6 years. I'm neither unemployed nor underemployed and that's not nothing considering I have multiple degrees. Not trying to brag just refuting your weird assumptions which have apparently crossed into the realm of what appears to be a genuine mid life nervous breakdown of some kind. Honestly enough of the inter-generational bully routine - have whatever conversation you need to have with your children and leave me out of it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick