Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Pretty cool look although the guy above would be better served wearing at least a brain protector (helmet).

Is this some kind of an inverted denim Grizzly??
img047+(3).jpg

My only real problem with Millennials is the "old people suck and are clueless and are useless" attitude.
I fully expect fashion, music, etc. to be different for every generation of kids - it's normal and good.
But when you're constantly ridiculed or ignored or "whatever'd" just because you're older, then I lose it.

"Dad jeans" is just another acceptable snarky comment that the offended generation can dole out without repercussions.
Try to poke some fun at any number of topics today that deserve poking, and you're a racist/homophobe/sexist, but you can talk smack all day long about folks that pass some magical number in trips around the sun.
Only thing that keeps me sane in knowing one day they'll be "here" too and it will sting 10x as much.

So, it's appropriate that topics like this pop up here as clothing is generational. I would just hope that before someone comes in and ridicules older folks with backhanded remarks, that they realize that they will be older too one day (if all goes well) and that this place is not styleforum or denimbros. Peace. I'm going to change the battery in my pacemaker and hearing aids now...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I hear your pain on the hipsters and the rednecks but there's far more to our generation than this. If you don't like your surroundings you can always change them - the world is basically what you make of it.

Seriously, we are the first generation who will do worse than our parents, but look at the hand we've been dealt. The middle class is evaporating, we don't get to have education free, high paying factory work guaranteed to us straight out of highschool. Hell many of us never really even had dads in the home as strong role models. We are a generation of men raised by women. We've had to carve our own way through a complex new globalized world but many of us have managed to do it without neck beards or skinny jeans or blasted country music.

Also I have a somewhat sharp way of talking, this can translate over to my writing a bit. I'm not and haven't been trying to offend anyone; just contributing my two cents.

P.S. Monitor you're my new favorite person.

My bitter quote was nothing more than bitter. Sorry guys. I have my moments, (like that post). But I know it's bs. Fortunately I'm growing older and not letting others' ways put me in a crunch, but I still have my wrong side of the bed mornings. The answer is love, somehow. I suppose we're all trying to find our place in life. Those who have found their peace, should be celebrated. I look up to my parents' and their parents' generations, for although many my age would consider them "boring" at a superficial level, they went through some heavy stuff, and are still walking around the house with a smile. I suppose many "millenials" also have their crosses to carry. While we live in a plentiful age, there is still problems with peer pressure, drugs, promiscuity, bizarre happenings with the internet age, and familial dysfunction.

The one thing that actually bugs me, which I can't classify or understand, is the constant "I'm old" mope I hear from those older. I saw Herman's Hermits and half of the show was "we're old". Humorous or not, I wanted to yell "shut up Peter Noone! You have more energy than I do!" Same with Pete Townsend, Daltrey, etc. Those guys are forever young, forever. I really hope the older generations can lift their heads up a little! Not old! It's easy to venerate my seniors, but the true test is loving my own generation. Onward.

Last edited:
@nick123 - heads aren't down and we aren't moping on our own. Maybe living in a hip place like LA makes things worse. Maybe spending more time on the internet makes things worse. But there's a reason folks feel this way. Sure, one can feel more aches, and the eyes start sucking, and yes, the hairs go grey, but while my mental age is easily 30, I get constantly bumped right back up to 50's by younger folks, making the head-lifting a little more of a struggle...

Woodyear

Familiar Face
The harem pants take it to a whole new and sad level. Some are actually sweatpants material made to look like jeans. What possible series of thoughts goes thru a mans head to make them think "yeah, I'll wear this today"
View attachment 81452

I think these evolved more from the whole goth ninja thing of a few years ago than skinny jeans. The Rick Owens, flowy black fabric ninja look, morphed with tapered sweatpants and bingo there ya go, drop crotch MC Hammer Ninja pants arrived.

IMG_0096.JPG

+

IMG_0097.JPG

=

IMG_0098.JPG

Of course this look is pretty ridiculous, but in my opinion no less ridiculous than enormous 70s lapels that sit overtop of the accompanying outerwear, or the aforementioned bell bottoms, or high waisted trousers worn up under ones armpits, or giant pointless 80's shoulder pads. Any time there is excess fabric that is straying needlessly away from the body I feel like there's a problem and it'll look ridiculous to future and past generations.

zebedee

One Too Many
People should try teaching 16-20 year olds. Anybody over 28 is unfathomably ancient to them. As far as I can see, until the longevity pill comes along, 35 is the start of middle age (in some parts of the world, even that is leaving it late). And I say that is a good thing.

When I was 20 I was always more interested in the views of people of 40 or 50 because they had had an opportunity to read books, learn and gain experience. I wonder why this isn't valued.
Because, the internet...
And let it be known, while I did have my moments with Mom & Dad like all normal people, I respect them both as well as my grandparents, and I modeled most of what I think are my strengths on my grandfather (Mom's side). If I could have that man back for a day, I'd sell my house.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Have a pair of Lee Cowboys waiting for me down at Gala: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=118
Yep, very old fashioned, legs are straight and wide, high-waisted, which will take a big old belt and multiple turns on the cuff. As far as I'm concerned: cool as hell.

A side-note: one of the things I've always loved about the Lounge, right from the start, is that age was neither a bar or a qualifier to joining in on the fun and nonsense. All that was needed was a desire to learn, share and contribute.
People who 'self-identify' in a way that needlessly places them as 'apart' from everyone here misses the point of the Lounge, which is a shame because it's quite a special place. Don't believe me? Look at similar forums.

Last edited:

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Man the struggle to get those over the shaft of the boot would be hilarious to watch.
Haha. I bought my first engineer boots when I was 15. I used to wear really tight jeans being a thrasher. There was only one way to fit my jeans over the boots. I placed the boots inside the jeans cuffs before I wore them. Then I had to put the jeans AND the boots on together. I considered my thought brilliant until my mom saw me doing this and couldn't stop laughing.

Haha. I bought my first engineer boots when I was 15. I used to wear really tight jeans being a thrasher. There was only one way to fit my jeans over the boots. I placed the boots inside the jeans cuffs before I wore them. Then I had to put the jeans AND the boots on together. I considered my thought brilliant until my mom saw me doing this and couldn't stop laughing.

Lol! Well, I'd wear engineers over the jeans if I decided it's skinny jeans day.

Stand By

One Too Many
I don't know, man... One day you're wearing a helmet, next day you're driving a car.

I get that. I just turned 50 earlier this summer and my gal organized a superb trip for us out west in Alberta. It was wonderful! So brilliant. And one day, she set up a horse ride so we could experience the inside of the forest as we'd marvelled at the views of the forests from afar.
So off we went and it was a looong ride (for me) and up a mountain we went. I'd never ridden up a mountain before. Cool! I felt like a pioneer!
But then later, it was time to come down again ... and then, $hit me, I'm realizing that I'm really gripping Possum's girth with my legs for all I'm worth and leaning way back in the saddle and my knees were feeling just shot by the end and my left hip felt strangely shot too. Weird!
At the end I knew I was done and would struggle to get off the bloody horse! I wanted a big hook on a rope just to lift me off the saddle and lower me down, rather than me stand in the saddle on a left stirrup and rotate off and down - my left hip just didn't want any of that action! But I did. But Jeez, only just. And man, just like that, for the very first time, I felt ... old!! Or at least, I'd never felt my age before and I still don't - it's just my left hip that does!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland