Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"GriffDeLaGriff" Arturo Leather Jacket - Version 2

Navin323i

Practically Family
Hello Gents,

For those of you who aren't familiar with the history behind my jacket here, please reference the link below...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=52014

The main thing I needed to address after acquiring this jacket from Griff was the hole on the back of the jacket just below the collar and slightly left of center. The hole was caused by his cat's claws when the cat was in his closet where the jacket was hung. :D

I took the jacket to my local leather repair expert (leatherclinic.com) who basically fixed the hole using a patch and leather filler, along with some brown dye to "blend" everything together so the repair isn't too noticeable.

I'm happy with the work he did, and as soon as I got the jacket back from him I went ahead and sprayed the inside jacket lining with Febreze spray (a trick that my leather guy recommended to clean the jacket lining), and then applied multiple coats of Pecards Antique Leather Dressing... now the jacket looks as good as new with the leather being more supple now.

The only other thing I may do to this jacket later on is to replace the inside lining. Right now it's a black acetate lining that has a few small holes in it.

If you all were replacing the lining on this jacket, what color and type of lining would you go with? I want a lightweight lining so I can wear this jacket in the spring, summer, and fall. Color-wise, I'd like a lining that would somehow help to accentuate the beautiful patina color of this jacket (maybe a gold or a light brown color)?

Pics are below...

*BEFORE PICS*
You can see the tear in the leather towards the top of the jacket below the collar.
Arturo-Before1.jpg

Arturo-Before2.jpg

*AFTER PICS*

The flash definitely accentuates the repair area... in person it's more difficult to see the repaired area
Arturo-After1.jpg

Arturo-After2.jpg

Jacket looks and feels even better now after the multiple coats of Pecards Antique Leather Dressing
Arturo-After3.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Fixing small tears... like all things it depends. For a $$$ jacket I'd get it done professionally. If the damage is extensive enough, which from your post it doesn't, you could have the entire lining replaced but that costs more $$$.

For small tears you could stitch a patch over the hole yourself. I've done this before and if done well with a well-matched patch, the repair can be pretty invisible.

I also used iron-on repair patches to fix some small tears and holes in a cheapo ebay jacket. Cheapo jackets deserve cheapo repairs. This probably won't last as long as a stitched patch but it's cheap and easy and I have some sub-75 dollar jackets that I don't really care to spend more time/money on to fix up.

Navin323i

Practically Family
captaincaveman1 said:
Fixing small tears... like all things it depends. For a $$$ jacket I'd get it done professionally. If the damage is extensive enough, which from your post it doesn't, you could have the entire lining replaced but that costs more $$$.

For small tears you could stitch a patch over the hole yourself. I've done this before and if done well with a well-matched patch, the repair can be pretty invisible.

I also used iron-on repair patches to fix some small tears and holes in a cheapo ebay jacket. Cheapo jackets deserve cheapo repairs. This probably won't last as long as a stitched patch but it's cheap and easy and I have some sub-75 dollar jackets that I don't really care to spend more time/money on to fix up.

Hey... I just want to be sure I'm understanding you. The tears and patches you are talking about... are you referring to the small holes in my inside jacket lining or are you referring to the tear on the outside of the jacket? The tear on the outside of the jacket has already been professionally repaired as per the pics I've posted here.

Navin323i

Practically Family
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Nice repair job.
The jacket hangs really good on you, it looks very tapered and trim, but still madmax cool.

Enjoy it.

Haha! Thanks Griff! I definitely feel like "Mad Max" when I wear this jacket. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing your new Aero jacket when it arrives any day now. :)

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Navin,
Yes, I would probably go with an earth tone lining of cotton drill or a rayon type of fabric. Of course the gabardine might be my first pick. The good thing is, thanks to Griff, with the amount of $$$ you have in the jacket, you could really go first class. Find captaincaveman1's post about replacing the lining on his Schott 689 and maybe consider that vendor for the replacement liner. Once that liner is in place you're good for another 25 years Brother Man!

Best regards to you, coffee

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Navin323i said:
Hey... I just want to be sure I'm understanding you. The tears and patches you are talking about... are you referring to the small holes in my inside jacket lining or are you referring to the tear on the outside of the jacket? The tear on the outside of the jacket has already been professionally repaired as per the pics I've posted here.
Meant the smaller holes you mentioned in the interior.

Navin323i

Practically Family
too much coffee said:
Hi Navin,
Yes, I would probably go with an earth tone lining of cotton drill or a rayon type of fabric. Of course the gabardine might be my first pick. The good thing is, thanks to Griff, with the amount of $$$ you have in the jacket, you could really go first class. Find captaincaveman1's post about replacing the lining on his Schott 689 and maybe consider that vendor for the replacement liner. Once that liner is in place you're good for another 25 years Brother Man!

Best regards to you, coffee

Good morning, Coffee! Great ideas! Thank you so much, bro. :)

Navin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo