Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grizzly jacket construction

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
Hi
Tempted but curious to know how these are put together...are the mouton panels attached over a completed jacket or are they essentially a combination of sheepskin and other types of hide.I was wondering if it was the latter, that they would be less strong than a jacket made of a single tough hide especially as they were advertised for outdoor types and motorcyclists in the old catalogue scans
Many thanks

That's a great question and one I've always wondered about myself. The integrity of the jacket as a whole would surely be comprised (for purpose) if the panels were sheepskin I'd think.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Both mine have seperate facing and back mouton panels not overlayed on the leather. All the parts and seams of the jacket that may be subject to the most stress and wear are leather. I don't think it will be a problem for durability as time goes by. I find them very comfortable to wear as they give a light feel around the body with most of the weight carried over the shoulders.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The mouton panels are not overlaid, but the horsehide is at most of the points of stress. Having a full double layer with the mouton in the outside wouldn't make much sense. If it rips after a couple of decades of wear, having a layer of something behind it doesn't make it any less damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21