Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guilty Secrets . . . (and help me identify this hat)

mingoslim

Practically Family
OK. I have a confession to make . . . a guilty secret. I love the 1980s Patrick Swayze movie "Next of Kin".

Now my second guilty secret is I love the hat the Swayze, as character Turman Gates, wears in the film . . .

Next-of-Kin 1989.jpg

Anyone have any idea what it is?
Anyone have a guilty secret of their own they want to confess? :)

RJR

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like an outback style brim.I'd guess that a CD could be bashed like that.Also resembles Akubra's Coober Pedy,Coolabah and a few others.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Hemingway ... I thought that Darkman actually came out before this, but when I googled it, I found I was wrong. In any case, there is another hat movie for you . . .
And Neeson remains one of my favorite actors to this day . . .

ANd RJR . . . Thanks for the thoughts on the hat. I will check out the Akubras.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mingoslim -- why guilty? I loved that movie. I went to high school in Maryland, and a lot of my friends were guys from up in the hills. I thought the film did a fine job of portraying their honesty and their sense of the world, which I always found an honorable one. Cool hat, too.

RBH

Bartender
As you can see from this photo it at one time had a wide ribbon.
I would hazard to guess it could be one of the many Indiana Jones style hats that came out in the '80's.
As I recall it did have a c crown or tear drop crease in it.
In no way would I think it is an Akubra.

kin5.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
More than likely it was probably custom made for the movie. One of the hatters on the lounge could easily re-create that hat for you. Bob at Black Sheep would be an excellent choice for that project.

I liked that movie too. First time I saw Ben Stiller in a serious role as the gangster's son.

Last edited:

mingoslim

Practically Family
Mingoslim -- why guilty? I loved that movie. I went to high school in Maryland, and a lot of my friends were guys from up in the hills. I thought the film did a fine job of portraying their honesty and their sense of the world, which I always found an honorable one. Cool hat, too.

All you say is true . . . and I am Appalachian born myself.
THe guilt comes from the movie starring Patrick Swayze. At the time (80s) he was kind of cheesy, but I like him anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass