Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair Breaking?

jayem

A-List Customer
I've used setting lotions, hair masques, hot oil treatments...

But whenever I brush my hair, I look down and theres little broken off strands on my counter. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to prevent this? I take vitamins everyday, I don't blow dry or hot iron my hair (even hot curling). I shampoo with conditioner, also... but nothing.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
jayem said:
I've used setting lotions, hair masques, hot oil treatments...

But whenever I brush my hair, I look down and theres little broken off strands on my counter. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to prevent this? I take vitamins everyday, I don't blow dry or hot iron my hair (even hot curling). I shampoo with conditioner, also... but nothing.
I have this problem too!! It's weird but, I dyed my hair about 2 months ago and my hair must be still recovering from it and I do blow-dry it alot. which probably explains it! Are you constantly brushing your hair? I try to be careful. You are normally suppose to lose 100 hairs a day or something. You could check it out with the doctors.

jayem

A-List Customer
kamikat said:
Do you color or perm your hair? Are you sure it's breakage and not falling out at the root?

No, it's breaking for sure. Short, little strands are falling off. I don't perm or color my hair, anymore. Last time I did was 2 years ago.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Too much protein can make hair brittle. If you are using a lot of protein conditioner that could be an issue. Use a -moisturizing- one instead.

Beyond that, so can many medications, so check with your dr. that you are not on one where thats a side effect.

If not, then also see dr. to make sure health is otherwise ok.

Dani California

Familiar Face
How big are the breakage? I have seen the same thing with my hair...they're like less than 1/2 an inch. I just always figured it was the split ends breaking off. How often do you get your hair trimmed? Since growing my hair out and my natural color I get mine trimmed every few months to keep it healthy and the breaking doesn't happen as often.

ShortClara

One Too Many
After I went blonde, my hairdresser gave me the last of her "It's a 10 Miracle Hair Mask" to help repair damage. I could definitely see the difference in a few days. Also, brush hair very gently from the bottom up, especially when wet but really all the time. Brush the ends gently until smooth, then up an inch, thn up and inch and so on. It helps a lot.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You could have beaded hair which is a hair condition is which the hair breaks very easily inbetween the beads on the hair shaft. Hair and scalp conditioning is the only thing I know of that might help. Mine breaks like that becasue I dye it every 4-6 weeks I use a heavy hair condition treatment by Queen Helene under their colesterol line.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
You hair is dry and brittle. Try getting off of the shampoo (to much detergents in them...) for a while and get conditioners without silicones in them. You may want to try washing your hair with conditioner only for a while. Moisturizing conditioners. Google Conditioner Only hair-washing, and you will find what I mean.

I gave up shampoo 2 years ago and my hair stopped breaking. The surfacents in conditioners are enough for cleansing the hair. (unless you use a ton of product, in which case you can dilute the shampoo)

I wash my hair now with conditioner (silicone free or any word that ends in -cone) and it stays very supple. On occasion I will use a sulfate free shampoo to gently wash myhair and clarify it.

Good luck

Smuterella

One Too Many
I've been thinking about conditioner only hair washing for a while as mine keeps breaking.

I think I'll give it a try

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
You wont be disappointed. And you go can go between washings longer.

Hair should be treated like silk, not to be washed with the crazy amounts of detergents that are in some products.

The same goes for the skin, but that is neither here nor there.

Cinnamon

New in Town
I second the conditioner washing. I remember when I stopped using shampoo, my hair had never felt better. It was stronger and even more boucier. But however my scalp began to itch while doing the conditioner washings so I had to switch back to shampoo.[huh] Does anyone know how to combat this?

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Cinnamon said:
I second the conditioner washing. I remember when I stopped using shampoo, my hair had never felt better. It was stronger and even more boucier. But however my scalp began to itch while doing the conditioner washings so I had to switch back to shampoo.[huh] Does anyone know how to combat this?

With the conditioner only washes, it is necessary to use the conditioner like the same way you would shampoo, to actually massage the scalp etc. Also, depending on the conditioner, you may have buildup. So a diluted form of shampoo is necessary occasionally or you can do an apple cider vinegar rinse to the scalp. (diluted water and vinegar).

I just buy shampoo without the harsh detergents. (sodium laureth sulfate, or ammonium laureth sulfate) I shampoo about once every other week with a diluted form of this, and only to my scalp.

Walmart has shampoos now without any SLS's. (sodium laureth sulfate, or ammonium laureth sulfate)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Ok, so my first attempt at conditioner only washing was quite surprising. The biggest surprise was that my hair didn't feel greasy afterwards. In fact it feels almost exactly the same as when I wash it with shampoo AND conditioner. I'm guessing it takes a few washes before there is an appreciable difference, right? The biggest bonus with this method has got to be that my precious red hair colour will last longer!

x

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Never brush wet hair!

Only when completely dry. Use a wide comb when wet.
Also, in the olden days, a gal would only wash her hair once a week or so, but would wash her brush more often, and would wipe the brush on a clean towel frequently while brushing to take the excess oil out.
I had very long hair at one point in my life, and it is very dry and breaky, so I tried this and it helped a lot! I was down to washing it every two weeks. And I only put the shampoo on the scalp area, after applying conditioner everywhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925