Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Halloween Costumes

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
jake_fink said:
Arsenic and old steak?

Haha. Love that movie.

My costume is still up in the air. I haven't done much for Halloween in a couple of years, and I'm having a hard time thinking of something.

Maybe a diner waitress?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jake Cutter - 'Gold Monkey'

goldjake1.jpg

-dixon cannon

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I haven't dressed up for Halloween in years. I have a costume party to go to and have to come up with something that isn't either lame or tarty.

So post some more ideas would you all....I need inspiration.

Honey Doll

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Phil said:
That's astounding Lauren. I must say, bravo on your skills. I wish I could have the skill and patience to make my own clothes.

Thank you, Phil! That's sweet of you to say! It's one of the favorite things I've ever made.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Not of Buenos Aires's "La Recoleta" cemetery, no. It's a very creepy place. Some abandoned mausoleums are used as toolsheds by the gravediggers. The coffins inside were literally thrown away. (If the family line has died out, who's left to care?)

I do have some nice photos of Santiago's beautiful main cemetery, however.

Haversack

One Too Many
I'm working on the painted head-bag so I can portray Doctor Syn's alter-ego, the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh. I've already got the laugh down cold...

Haversack.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I love Halloween! We're allowed to dress up at work, so we have a lot of fun with it in my office. However, I'm still undecided for this year. I've got a modern nurse's dress and cape I may wear, otherwise I'll probably go as Rosie the Riveter again (same as last year).

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Somewhere in - Europe? - there is an open "mausoleum" in which the dead have been dressed and placed, usually on some kind of hooks or seated, in the open. The family can visit the bodies. You can see everything from skeletons to disconcertingly recent interments.
I'm sure I saw that on T.V. - Italy maybe?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
For this Halowe'en I want to be a knight in a shiny armour... and it has to be real steel... with a real lance... on a real horse properly dressed for battle. That's the one condition I gave a friend to attend a costume party with her. Alas, given the impossibilities of it (I posses no equine beast), plus the fun-murdering "musical" tastes of today's youth, I'm afraid that there'll be no Halowe'en for me.

scotrace said:
Palermo: Catacombe dei Cappuccini

Not so recent new residents though. Last in 1920.
Say, Scot, don't they have an incorruptible dead child over there?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
scotrace said:
Somewhere in - Europe? - there is an open "mausoleum" in which the dead have been dressed and placed, usually on some kind of hooks or seated, in the open. The family can visit the bodies. You can see everything from skeletons to disconcertingly recent interments.
I'm sure I saw that on T.V. - Italy maybe?

The colonial Mexican city of Guanajuato has its infamous mummies on display. Guanajuato's dryness and soil naturally preserve interred bodies, and its old cemetery had room for only so many "guests". Hence, families of the dead had to pay large one-time sums for plots, or they could pay from year to year. Naturally, the poor chose the second option. After a few years, some of them stopped paying, and the cemetery would disinter the bodies to free up the plot for someone else. The dessicated corpses, many of then still in their funeral clothes, were propped up in a gallery at the cemetery, where visitors could (and still do) pay to walk through and see them. Gruesome, eh?

Worst of all are the mummies of folks who were prematurely buried. (Accidental premature burial was rather common before the 20th century.) These corpses' faces are frozen in terror, and their fingertips are torn off from having scratched away at the lids of their coffins, trying to escape.

Ray Bradbury, the science fiction writer and poet, wrote an eerie short story called "The Mummies of Guanajuato".

Happy Halloween, Mexican style!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm trying to remember the old saying that's based on something similar to the above. In England, when someone was buried, there was a string running from inside the coffin, up through the soil to metal stake that had a bell on it - the idea being if someone were buried alive, they'd pull the string to ring the bell. The family would pay some village coot to sit near the grave for some period of time listening for the bell to ring. But there's an old phrase that's pretty commonly used that relates back to that, that for the life of me escapes me at the moment.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Here in America, there were some 19th century patents for breathing tubes running from the inside of the buried caskets up to the surface ... just in case.

Does that tie into the myth about "dead ringers?"

[edit]

Ohh hey Vermifuge, why don't you read the whole thread first? that's a great idea huh?

for the record that's a myth.... ?!!? i should just get back to work.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
I'm trying to remember the old saying that's based on something similar to the above. In England, when someone was buried, there was a string running from inside the coffin, up through the soil to metal stake that had a bell on it - the idea being if someone were buried alive, they'd pull the string to ring the bell. The family would pay some village coot to sit near the grave for some period of time listening for the bell to ring. But there's an old phrase that's pretty commonly used that relates back to that, that for the life of me escapes me at the moment.

I beleive you might be thinking of 'Saved by the Bell', which although plausable, is according to the following, incorrect.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/311000.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav