Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hard or soft straw preferences

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
any thoughts on the pros & cons? in my limited experience the soft straw seems more comfortable & cooler(as in temperature) but most indications are that hard straw makes a better quality hat. i would appreciate recommendatuions for non-Panama porkpie or center crease straws. also, happy holidays to all!

adam51.jpg

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
gekisai29 said:
any thoughts on the pros & cons? in my limited experience the soft straw seems more comfortable & cooler(as in temperature) but most indications are that hard straw makes a better quality hat. i would appreciate recommendatuions for non-Panama porkpie or center crease straws. also, happy holidays to all!

To me, soft straw is much better. Montecrisiti Panamas, the world's greatest straw hats, are soft. Most of the cheap straw hats are hard. The hard ones crack much easier at the crown, too...KC

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
gekisai29 said:
...but most indications are that hard straw makes a better quality hat...
With the exception of a Boater, I'm not sure where you're getting this idea. I'd be curious as to what calculous lead you to this conclusion. And don't take me wrong, I'm just curious, that's all.

The hard straws, like the current Stetson line-up are fairly cheap and plasticy, if you will allow me a neologism. Milan weaves are nice, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are hard. The only high quality hard straw I can think of is that which is put to use in a Boater, and I hardly think that is the look you are going for.

I'll agree with others that butter soft tight weave Montecristis are the best "straw" hats going: the craftsmanship, the malleability, the color, the smell! ...OK, maybe not the smell, but everything else is the perfect mix of gentlemanly civility and urbane sophistication. ;)

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Funny, tis spring and a young man's thoughts turn to questions of straw hats. Me, I do in fact lust after a Panama. Has anyone had dealings with these guys, on ebay? http://stores.ebay.com/MONTECRISTI-ULTRAFINO-PANAMA-HATS

Their prices seem good. Are they the real thing? I mean, an ultra-Montecristi (fino fino) is $166. (No, I'm not shilling for them -- just thinking of buying one, if they're not bogus.)

And Gekisai, they do seem to have some odd styles, not so "Panama" -- one might appeal to you.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
why look on ebay

....when we have Panama Bob....He is the man to contact for a Panama. Look him up and shoot him an e-mail. You will be glad you did !!!

mark the shoeshine boy

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Facts as I know them.

Visigoth said:
Funny, tis spring and a young man's thoughts turn to questions of straw hats. Me, I do in fact lust after a Panama. Has anyone had dealings with these guys, on ebay? http://stores.ebay.com/MONTECRISTI-ULTRAFINO-PANAMA-HATS

Their prices seem good. Are they the real thing? I mean, an ultra-Montecristi (fino fino) is $166. (No, I'm not shilling for them -- just thinking of buying one, if they're not bogus.)

And Gekisai, they do seem to have some odd styles, not so "Panama" -- one might appeal to you.

The problem with most Ebay sellers of this type of hat is they are not real Montecristi Panama hats. They will say Montecristi and when you get your hat its really a Cuenca hat...or a very low grade Montecristi.

I'm sure if you wrote this seller and ask her about how many weaves per square inch, is the back weave nice and even is the color of the straw uniform etc she will never answer you!!

These sellers put these fancy names on Ebay hats such as fino fino, museum quality, extra fine, rare etc. This is just hype to make you think you are getting something special and you are not.

I have found from experience that I will only buy from Robert Weber aka Panamabob.. I know what he tells me is the truth and I will get a hat worth what I'm willing to spend.

I have Montecristi's I have bought from him from $50.00 to over a $1000.00. The $1000.00 hat I wore it to Optimo Hat Co. in Chicago and Graham told me if he had that hat he would sell it for $2,500.00 to $3000.00.

As I have said over and over "Buy the hat not the story".

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
from the things i read on various vendors' site it seemed that with the exception on montecrist hats the milam braids & similar were stiffer (harder?) than coconut & raffia with the former being touted as a higher qulity hat. guess i drew the wrong conclusion but that is why i asked. right now i'm not interested in a panama so are you suggesting a milan braid is the way to go?

RedPop4

One Too Many
Visigoth, I've been looking over that seller for days now, trying to figure them. I e-mailed once and got a general answer, but not a wpsi. I resent my e-mail asking the WPSI SPECIFICALLY and have not received any type of response.

There's another on there named panamaecuador. They've been pretty forthright in answering e-mails, but I still doubt.

Anyone have a link to PanamaBob?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Yeah, I've also emailed those ebay guys about weaves/sq. in. No reply. (And I have since heard from someone who DID buy from them, and discovered that they're "fino fino"... wasn't.)

RedPop4

One Too Many
Thanks. I did get one e-mail, saying a particular hat I was interested in was a pinch-front fedora...."the most classic of shapes, perfect with a Cohiba Robusto"

But no mention of wpsi, and no answer to a subsequent e-mail asking the same of another hat.

I've learned that the other vendor with home I've been in contact is MrsPanamaBob. Go figure. lol lol lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran