Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HAT ADORNMENTS: ribbons, bows, pins, pugs, leather, etc.

I should have checked in. Searching for "GAR Hat Pin" kicked up a slew of the "wreath" pins, but not anything like this. Dammit.

I'm just going to pretend the "other guy" bid $500 ...
Most of those wreath pins are repos. From ~1900 to WWI really, was the time of lots of Civil War encampments & reunions, & the time of the Daughters of the GAR, & the UDC. Any encampment artifacts start at $500. There is a smaller GAR eagle on an encampment ribbon. If the ribbon is original & still attached they can bring $750.

No website — here is her contact info:

View attachment 440282

I saw Lyn at a craft show recently and she had this leather-backed band that came home with me. She didn't have any ties on it, so this shoelace and a rock are doing the job until I can get a leather strip.

IMG-3527.JPG

IMG-3528.JPG

IMG-3529.JPG

Stetson Mission Sunday School pin. Probably from early in the last century based on the style, but who knows?

1689014937097.png

Based on the size it was most likely a lapel pin.

IMG-3743.JPG

Made by Whitehead & Hoag of Newark, New Jersey. Incorporated in 1892. Sold in 1959 and closed in 1965.

IMG-3741.JPG

Seemed appropriate to put in on my 1930s Stetson Special Homburg. The pin is just slipped behind the ribbon and is a tight fit. No visible holes anyway.

IMG-3742.JPG

More details on the Sunday School itself here:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/stetson-stuff.35338/page-32#post-3021000

shopkin

New in Town
It's beautiful. Look at those tiny feathers. Figure 1.5 hand stitches for each feather. It would be just as expensive if it were new.

I'd want some documentation to verify the age. If it were not continuously kept in museum condidtions, it would be completely rotten by now.

I picked up this too small hat for $22 as the hat band looked like it might be “something”.

IMG_1090.jpeg

It was! A sandcast silver with turquoise that, based on the tagged price, has some age on it. Something with 15 (1” x 1/2”) conchos would probably run about $700+ new.

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

I will need to loosen and adjust the conchos to fit my hat size. The belt is long enough.

IMG_1098.jpeg

I picked up this too small hat for $22 as the hat band looked like it might be “something”.

View attachment 595261

It was! A sandcast silver with turquoise that, based on the tagged price, has some age on it. Something with 15 (1” x 1/2”) conchos would probably run about $700+ new.

View attachment 595258

View attachment 595259

View attachment 595260

I will need to loosen and adjust the conchos to fit my hat size. The belt is long enough.

View attachment 595257
I remember back in 2018 looking at Zuni hat bands with silver conchos. Loved them, wanted one but could not justify the many hundreds of dollars they were asking.... What a great score.

mojoboy31

New in Town
Found this nice copper Hunting Horn/Infantry Horn hat pin in the wild. I soon found a home on this Northwest Hatters fedora.... Construction appears to be late 19th century to Edwardian. I could definitely see this on a veterans hat.
View attachment 601971 View attachment 601972
Wow, I really like that! Very cool!
I picked up a Montana Silversmith Hat Pick at Buckaroo Hatters this past Friday.
I placed it on one of my summer straws. View attachment 602196 View attachment 602197
That's snazzy! Hat pick, eh? I might have to look into those.

Anyone ever put a playing card in their ribbons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner