Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Conversions and Refurbs by John Galt

JG and I have been talking and texting a lot recently, and he sent me pics of my nearly completed hats. A Resistol and a Stetson. Hopefully I will have them in hand shortly. A year is a long time to wait, but at the end of the day, I will have my hats back the way I wanted them, and at no charge. Thank you, JG!

Some pics he sent me of the hats.

2880a88ce344d1643d6c4ca36e2525ed.jpg

c0fd535ec1a02eec17596fca2135d59d.jpg

667e69ca1b871592f29c9e02daa61797.jpg

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Glad to see you guys are getting your hats.Blackthorn,that is a very cool hat box and the hat came out great.Hope things go back to normal for John.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
JG and I have been talking and texting a lot recently, and he sent me pics of my nearly completed hats. A Resistol and a Stetson. Hopefully I will have them in hand shortly. A year is a long time to wait, but at the end of the day, I will have my hats back the way I wanted them, and at no charge. Thank you, JG!
What have you "done" with that big black brim :(

Lotsahats

One Too Many

Glad to hear it. I think most of us are still pulling for a happy ending for all.

John Galt

Vendor
Not so!

Harv's hats are en route with a complimentary surprise gift, and I finished one of Rick's hats last night, with the others and Joao's on the bench. Danielle's are next.

I don't expect it matters to some, but I am not a professional hatter like Tom Gomez or the other hatter who recently commented here. I've got a full time job as a lawyer and two small kids that demand a lot of my time. Each and every one who asked me to work on their hats was advised of those facts at the start, and asked to be patient. As I have said, I didn't intend to make them be _so_ patient, (and I did obviously overextend myself) but sometimes life's trials (literally) and tribulations intervene, as here.

As you said, my actions will tell the tale.

I will make good on all of my obligations, and everyone will get something extra as a complimentary gift.

Anyone who wants their hats back right now can contact me and I will put them in the mail. I had also asked each person that my real name be kept confidential to preserve my privacy, but that is plainly now moot, so in-country folks, please text or call me directly, and we'll get it all sorted.

Tahj Gomes
(530)864-1233

Joao and Daniele can email me at tahjgomes@gmail.com. I will be checking.

Finally, my thanks to those who have always been my true friends here, no matter what. It's when times are hard that the measure of a friend is made known. I acknowledge and appreciate your support.

John Galt

Vendor
Chamuco wrote:

Hello John,

Like your hats !!!

I have a question, if I buy a hat and it is 1/8 or 3/16 to big, can you work on it to make it shrink to my size?

Thanks for your time !!

Sincerely.

Rodolfo

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Chamuco,

Sorry for the long delay. The answer is that it depends. Old light colored hats often have a discolored ring at the "foot" where the brim meets the crown. Re-blocking and a sizing down extends that ring out into the brim, which is unsightly. Better results can be achieved sizing down a dark colored (black or dark brown, etc., or newer hat). I've posted on this before in detail, with photos.

Sizing up is a better option if there is sufficient brim, because the ring moves into the crown, where it can be hidden by a hatband.

Tahj Gomes, aka "John Galt"

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd weigh in and repost some pics of the Stetson Nutria conversion that John gave to me as a gift. It's definitely one of my favorite hats and has some of the most perfect features that I like in a fedora. John reblocked this to a larger size for me from a vintage Western hat that he had which had some brim issues. He sent it to me open crowned, and since I enjoy doing my own ribbon work, he sent along enough ribbon with the hat for me to work with, all free, as a gift.....

I creased it with a Center Dent at 4 3/4 at the pinch. Afterward, I sewed on the brown 1 3/4 ribbon with a double bow, I hid the stitching on the bow work. I can't thank John enough for this hat...

Nutria_Felt_05.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

Nutria_1_A_RC.jpg

My friend, Capt. Picard liked it so well that he's issuing orders for all his officers to wear fedoras on board the Enterprise...

A_picard_and_me.jpg

My buddy Kirk liked it too...

A_Kirk_and_M.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo