Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Conversions and Refurbs by John Galt

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd weigh in and repost some pics of the Stetson Nutria conversion that John gave to me as a gift. It's definitely one of my favorite hats and has some of the most perfect features that I like in a fedora. John reblocked this to a larger size for me from a vintage Western hat that he had which had some brim issues. He sent it to me open crowned, and since I enjoy doing my own ribbon work, he sent along enough ribbon with the hat for me to work with, all free, as a gift.....

I creased it with a Center Dent at 4 3/4 at the pinch. Afterward, I sewed on the brown 1 3/4 ribbon with a double bow, I hid the stitching on the bow work. I can't thank John enough for this hat...

Nutria_Felt_05.jpg

nutria_2_A.jpg

Nutria_1_A_RC.jpg

My friend, Capt. Picard liked it so well that he's issuing orders for all his officers to wear fedoras on board the Enterprise...

A_picard_and_me.jpg

My buddy Kirk liked it too...

A_Kirk_and_M.jpg
Beautiful hat, TJ! And it's fun to see how it's even been into the galaxy!

How wide is the brim on that hat? I like the proportions.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Perry, Lotsahats, Blackthorn, rogerstg, thanks guys.

Blackthorn, the brim on the hat is 2 3/4 wide, and I believe John G said the open crown was 5 3/4. It's definitely a tall crown, creased.

John Galt

Vendor
Perry, Lotsahats, Blackthorn, rogerstg, thanks guys.

Blackthorn, the brim on the hat is 2 3/4 wide, and I believe John G said the open crown was 5 3/4. It's definitely a tall crown, creased.

Yes, 5 3/4 crown height and 2 3/4 brim.

John Galt

Vendor
Blackthorne,

I actually made the hat box from a very old cheese box. I sanded & stained it, put a new bottom on it, sealed it with silicone to keep moths out, and put the false bottom in for the same reason. I am glad you like it - it was a labor of love, and should keep your hat safe for many years to come.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Blackthorne,

I actually made the hat box from a very old cheese box. I sanded & stained it, put a new bottom on it, sealed it with silicone to keep moths out, and put the false bottom in for the same reason. I am glad you like it - it was a labor of love, and should keep your hat safe for many years to come.
Ah, thanks for the clarification, JG. It's a masterpiece, I love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo