Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Conversions and Refurbs by John Galt

John Galt

Vendor
John Galt have you gone silent again?

I've actually been busy making hats.

I shipped some, which have been received and am working on others. I thought it prudent to give the owner a chance to comment rather than bring it up. Also, it seems a little inappropriate for me to drive the conversation in this thread.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I've actually been busy making hats.

I shipped some, which have been received and am working on others. I thought it prudent to give the owner a chance to comment rather than bring it up. Also, it seems a little inappropriate for me to drive the conversation in this thread.

Have you got my email?

John Galt

Vendor
Daniele,

I have one email Friday, which is a repeat. I answered this a week or two ago., I believe, but have re-answered. Also, please see my two emaiI messages of September 2, 2015.

Nutshell:

I'll contact you when you are at the top of the list. I'm just finishing Rick's 3rd hat, with one more to go for him. Then comes Joao, then you.

Because I get hundreds of emails daily, I will soon be establishing a new email address dedicated solely to hat work, and posting it here.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Seems like you're spending more time here on The Lounge than you are answering Emails or workin on hats... How can u get anything done? :)

rclark

Call Me a Cab
JG has been working diligently on my hats and they are looking awesome! I know how busy he is and I want you all to know that he has not gone radio silent. On the contrary, he has been in touch with me every step of the way while working on my hats.

John Galt

Vendor
Please let this thing rest.
While I applaud what Mr Galt has done he is not a hatter and does not have the wherewith all to do what a hatter does.
Just give the gent some space and let him learn and grow.

Thank you RBH.

I have really struggled with whether I should respond at all, and whether any response other than a very sincere "thank you" should be made. I have reluctantly decided to do both.

I need to thank you because I truly appreciate the kind words and believe them to be sincere. Hats are my passion but are not really a business for me. I did get overextended and fall behind. I was buried in other work and personal issues and I was non-responsive for far too long. I acknowledge that. I am truly sorry, but I am working hard and will continue to honor my commitments as promised.

Because silence can sometimes be perceived as a tacit admission, I also feel compelled to respond further to the last bit. I hope you understand.

Although making and renovating hats is admittedly not my real business and I've generally charged only nominal fees to cover materials, shipping and such, I really love to do it.

I have studied how hats are made in great detail, purchased or made all of the necessary (and some just plain desirable) tools, and worked long and hard to develop the skill set to use them well. I'm always learning more, but this is is the route taken by most or all of today's custom hatters.

Regardless of whether anyone in particular considers me to be a "real" hatter, I believe that I do have the wherewithal to do what hatters do. That is enough for me.

In the end it doesn't really matter what I say on this subject because it is the hats I make and renovate that will tell the tale, and the people who wear them who will decide whether I can really do what a hatter does.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Thank you RBH.

I have really struggled with whether I should respond at all, and whether any response other than a very sincere "thank you" should be made. I have reluctantly decided to do both.

I need to thank you because I truly appreciate the kind words and believe them to be sincere. Hats are my passion but are not really a business for me. I did get overextended and fall behind. I was buried in other work and personal issues and I was non-responsive for far too long. I acknowledge that. I am truly sorry, but I am working hard and will continue to honor my commitments as promised.

Because silence can sometimes be perceived as a tacit admission, I also feel compelled to respond further to the last bit. I hope you understand.

Although making and renovating hats is admittedly not my real business and I've generally charged only nominal fees to cover materials, shipping and such, I really love to do it.

I have studied how hats are made in great detail, purchased or made all of the necessary (and some just plain desirable) tools, and worked long and hard to develop the skill set to use them well. I'm always learning more, but this is is the route taken by most or all of today's custom hatters.

Regardless of whether anyone in particular considers me to be a "real" hatter, I believe that I do have the wherewithal to do what hatters do. That is enough for me.

In the end it doesn't really matter what I say on this subject because it is the hats I make and renovate that will tell the tale, and the people who wear them who will decide whether I can really do what a hatter does.

Hear, hear!

humanshoes

One Too Many
I made my first hat when I had a single block, a teapot, and a few handmade hat tools. A few years later, and many thousands of dollars invested in proper hat making tools, my hats are technically better, but try telling that to the fella who stills wears that first hat and loves it so much he swears he's going to be buried with it. I don't know when one can rightfully call oneself a "hatter", but it doesn't make any difference to me or to the good folks who buy and enjoy my hats.

Got my two hats and a special surprise from JG last Friday. Been a bit busy to post, but here we go.

The Resistol.
Work performed: New sweat, clean, and redo the ribbon. Perfect.

67d08ac958682ae60ea50a910e2f49f4.jpg
207e4c6a3a8d6ccd5e41f2c6c3a4719d.jpg

The Stetson 3X Western
Work performed: Trim the brim from 4" to 2 3/4" (sorry Joao), and new 1" steel ribbon. Perfect.

7de5249510c9defcf9ddfe345d5b116a.jpg
eee08956ba5133722f60eb7bed768b8d.jpg

The surprise
A hat! This one has a very nice felt, and fits like a glove. JG did the ribbon work, a "Chevron" bow. Very, very nice.

7a043ee98962a1811e18c65e5f191643.jpg
b7fa0cfa51cd06bf893c78c674c9df66.jpg
a7c61c2b6e68c9b6112e07b471aa4c2c.jpg

Thanks JG!

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Got my two hats and a special surprise from JG last Friday. Been a bit busy to post, but here we go.

The Resistol.
Work performed: New sweat, clean, and redo the ribbon. Perfect.

The Stetson 3X Western
Work performed: Trim the brim from 4" to 2 3/4" (sorry Joao), and new 1" steel ribbon. Perfect.

The surprise
A hat! This one has a very nice felt, and fits like a glove. JG did the ribbon work, a "Chevron" bow. Very, very nice.

Thanks JG!

You bet! That hat is actually a complete ground up rebuild of an old Hasidic hat purchased from a seller in Israel. It was thoroughly washed, re-blocked in your size and oval, new sweatband installed, brim trim, and hatband. It had an old price tag for $4.99. I'm very glad you like it!

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I made my first hat when I had a single block, a teapot, and a few handmade hat tools. A few years later, and many thousands of dollars invested in proper hat making tools, my hats are technically better, but try telling that to the fella who stills wears that first hat and loves it so much he swears he's going to be buried with it. I don't know when one can rightfully call oneself a "hatter", but it doesn't make any difference to me or to the good folks who buy and enjoy my hats.

Well... I "made" my first hat and didn't had any hatter tools. I hope to make another one (need someone to ask FEPSA for very large beaver felts. Any color will do) and still don't have them.
I have to say, even not being the most wide brim I have, it's the one I love most. I must thank John Galt for it since he advised how to easily sew a sweatband and for the sweatband since it was a gift for the stagecoach he cleaned for me.

The Stetson 3X Western
I only ask why... Wait! Don't answer.

JG did the ribbon work, a "Chevron" bow. Very, very nice.
I could say something about this but I don't want to be crucified again.

John Galt

Vendor
You are welcome. I'll send you another sweatband with your hats when completed, for the hat you mentioned in your email.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred