Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat Hair

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I tried searching for it in the old threads but I couldn't find it. Does anyone have any advice for not having terrible hair when you take your hat off after a few hours? Just that, I know its polite to take your hat off in most restaurants but what if you're a woman like me with moderately long hair with an Irish tendency towards frizz? How do you keep from looking like you've suffered an electric shock?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, I just carry a pocket comb and keep my hair short.

I think standards of etiquette are slightly different for women than for men. Women haven't traditionally been expected to take their hats off indoors, at least in part because women's hats often are (or were) more elaborate creations that needed to be secured with hatpins and such.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Combs and brushes don't work for me because my hair is thick and wavy. If vanity strikes, as it often does, I excuse myself to the restroom and use a little bit of water, which seems to reactivate the little bit of stuff I put in my hair and I rake it back into shape.

I have noticed that some of my hats do not give me hat hair. It seems the less they move around on my head, the less damage they do. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nothing ever worked for me but keeping it short-back-and-sides, plus a little water and a comb when the hat bit deep.

A lady can bring off sb & s, but not every lady, I don't think.

jean-seberg-1-sized.jpg

The exquisite Jean Seberg.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I arrive anywhere indoors, I take my winter hat off. I try to prevent hat hair by scrunching up the hair and then shoving on the hat. When the hat comes off, the weird hat hair ridge settles down amidst the hairstyle. At work, the ladies combat hat hair by carrying some hand lotion, hair spray or the product called Static Guard. A little in the palms of the hands spread around on the hair seems to clear up hat hair. There were static-free brushes on the market; Goody made one but I don't know if it's been discontinued. Guys, when a lady with hat hair brings a comb or brush near her head, the hair flies up as if by magic to it. Very frustrating. Maybe a vintage bone comb or boar-bristle brush will work? Hope some of this helps.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
Women are actually not to remove their hats indoors. I don't know about restaurant-specific rules in today's world, but a woman's hat was part of her outfit and not to be removed.

Also, Jean Seberg was one of the few women I can think of off-hand who looked good with short hair. And Breathless! What a film!

G

Gabriel

Everytime I wear my fedora, my hairstyle always tend to lose it's shape and results in me having to restyle it each time I wear my hat. Anyone know a solutions to this? I slick my hair back, do a side part, and keep a classic look.

Mystic

Practically Family
Everytime I wear my fedora, my hairstyle always tend to lose it's shape and results in me having to restyle it each time I wear my hat. Anyone know a solutions to this? I slick my hair back, do a side part, and keep a classic look.

Buzz cut.......

Problem solved [huh]

tommyK

One Too Many
You could buzz the sides up to where the Sweatband touches your head, leave the top longer for a little styling. Or just wait for it to fall out like me.:D

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've had variations on this problem for a long time, especially in hot humid weather. If I were to do a buzz cut, I'd look like a hairless hamster. I've found that modern low-crowned tapered hats worsen the situation. A hat with a taller straighter crown, and in my case a center dome rather than a center dent, ruffles my hair much less.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have hat hair as well, but I am not required to remove my hat for my job. In general the only time I would be seen with hat hair is while driving my vehicle, as it does not accommodate wearing a hat while driving.

I do not have my head shaved, I could comb it if I like.
You may just want to care a small comb and use it after you have removed your hat, if you plan not to wear it (the hat) for an extended period of time.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
I shave my head, thus I never have the hat hair problem.

But if I did have hair, I imagine that I'd take a comb with me, and comb my hair every time I took my hat off.

I've recently started doing something similar with my Melusine hat. I noticed that inevitably, every time I set it down on a table, that would make its hair look all messed up until such time as I brushed it. So I started carrying a hat brush with me so that I could solve the problem instantly whenever it came up.

Personally, I'd never use a solution that involves applying goop to my hair, because I'd be worried about all the insidious things that the goop might do to my hat.

Maybe, like you said, you will just have to restyle your hair when you remove your hat. Perhaps thems are the breaks, the price one pays for being a handsome, hair-having, hat-wearing fellow.

How's about saving time and effort by not styling your hair until after you take your hat off? At least then you won't have to "re" style during the first incident on any given day. :D

Socially Distorted

New in Town
I have a short back n sides, quite long on top with a kind of 30's side parted pompadour. I have to wear a lot of pomade and it does kind of "ick up" hat or cap linings after a while but I figure that's what the inside of most hats looked like 70 years ago! I just carry a comb as the previous poster suggests. In fact buy a nice vintage one maybe?

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I have a close cut haircuit at the sides. I find it to be life's little ironies that you often wear a hat to look only to have it mess up your hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot