Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat look worn?

Smoking_Cowboy

New in Town
Is it possible to make hat look worn, I like how hat looks in western movies, really cool. Can I make it that way or there is place I can buy it hats like that?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
1. Put on hat.
2. Spend the next twelve hours digging post holes, setting posts, running barbed wire, all the while, spilling blood, sweat and sweat and tears and Gatorade and sweet tea, in a Georgia August. Bingo! You don't want that fake-arsed "distressed" fal de rol, you want every stain, streak and tear to have a history unique to you. IMO.

Rogera

1. Put on hat.
2. Spend the next twelve hours digging post holes, setting posts, running barbed wire, all the while, spilling blood, sweat and sweat and tears and Gatorade and sweet tea, in a Georgia August. Bingo! You don't want that fake-arsed "distressed" fal de rol, you want every stain, streak and tear to have a history unique to you. IMO.
Well said.

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
Is it possible to make hat look worn, I like how hat looks in western movies, really cool. Can I make it that way or there is place I can buy it hats like that?
If you'd rather take the easy way instead of Rick's suggestion you can look for one of Charlie 1 Horse's Cavalry or Desperado hats.
Another option is Stetson's Boss of the Plains.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
1. Put on hat.
+1 on this!

johnnycanuck

As far as I know custom western hat shops will do that for you as well. Years ago I remember Mike at Buckaroo hatters offering that treatment. Same with Jaxonbilt hats. If you live in the West anywhere, then you should look up local hatters to see what they offer.
Johnny

Sure, you can buy a hat from this jackass, Nick Fouquet for well over a thousnd dollars or buy a vintage or custom for far less an enjoy wearing until it reaches that look you're looking for.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 821
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 703

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Artist's chalk may help if you're looking for something more for appearance than actual weathering. I took artist's chalk to an old (stiff as cardboard) Indiana Jones hat that I had bought when I first started getting into hats for the hat I'm using in my Freddy Krueger costume this Halloween. It doesn't show up real well in this photo, but you can see the mottled effect of the wool felt:
qSLEwFq.jpg

johnnycanuck

Apparently Indy cosplayers use "Fuller earth" to distress everything. Hats, jackets, you name it. I was hoping to find a video but all I got was Indiana Jones forums. A quick Google search may come up with what you want. Penman hats also offers that service as well.
Hope this helps.
BTW is there a specific hat or style you were looking for?
Johnny

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
It's pretty easy to give a hat a worn look but it's pretty hard not to make it look artificial. The Nick Fouquet hats, mentioned above by Bamaboots, always look false to me, they're overdone, the grime looks like it has been painted on but they are very popular with celebrities. (celebrities & authenticity rarely go together :D)
The only time I've falsified aging on a hat, was with my attempt to transform a rather crappy black wool felt hat into something vaguely resembling Clint's lid in 'High Plains Drifter' .. numero uno on my favorite movie hat list. I'm neither a 'sod-buster' nor 'cowpoke' so I just gave it a dusty look with a few stains, rather than heavily sweat stained & cow pooped upon :rolleyes:.....although most is false, there is some genuine trail dust on it, as I threw it on some dirt tracks, then kicked up some dust around it & let the fine particles settle as they pleased.
Here it is;

I was watching a vid on youtube the other day about the costumes on the TV show ' Hell On Wheels' & the costume designer gave a few methods about how they aged the hats.....nothing detailed but interesting none the less. Starts at 1:45

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Gotta take em with you... They won't follow you home. Woke up a few morn'ins wonderin what happened to my car.
if I had a dollar for every time I woke up wondering where the fk my car was I could just buy a new one

one time in LA I woke up ... it just happened to be my birthday ... had no idea where my car was ... when I found it, it had a boot on the front tire because of the glove box full of parking tickets

I took a few things out of it and just left it there until they took it away ... I never saw it again

happy birthday to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy