Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and UV sun rays?

msm007

One of the Regulars
Anyone have knowledge of this? Is reflected sunlight as bad for your eyes as direct sunlight? I am wondering if a good hat/hat brim can replace sunglasses?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are just talking about your eyes, then no a hat can not replace sunglasses. However if you are taking about overall sun protection you should add a hat to save your skin. Remember the three S rule. Slip slop and slap. Slip on a long sleeve shirt, Slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat.

Johnny

chippy

New in Town
msm007 said:
Anyone have knowledge of this? Is reflected sunlight as bad for your eyes as direct sunlight? I am wondering if a good hat/hat brim can replace sunglasses?

In Oz, TV adverts such as the "Slip, Slop, Slap" campaigns (for skin cancer prevention) have been shown regularly for decades, skin cancer is said to rank high in stats down here compared to other countries...the commercials were always sung to a tune Slip on a shirt, Slop on some sunscreen and Slap on a hat , pracically every Aussie would know it i am sure

over the last year or three (i'm not sure when they started the new one) they have added to the former successful tune Seek (out some shade) and Slide (on some sunglasses). the scientists and medical people that research it here know their stuff and advise wearing glasses for sound reasons..UV does reflect, it doesnt have to be bright and sunny for UV to be harmful and remember that UV (a & b) light is invisible to our eye sight...so yes, if you want (or need) the protection from UV then take all precaution and use some sunny's as well..obviously in different parts of the world UV is more prevalent than other places, although its only getting worse (not better) all over, the way i have heard it

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Only bit to add is that there is more UV as you increase your altitude. If in the mountains(or high plateau) and snow covers the ground its probably the worst situation.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
Only bit to add is that there is more UV as you increase your altitude. If in the mountains(or high plateau) and snow covers the ground its probably the worst situation.

The sun when mountain climbing, especially on the glaciers, is ridiculous. The worst is getting sunburned on the bottom of your chin. Zinc oxide is definitely my friend in the mountains.

navarre_au

New in Town
In Australia - definately.

Sunburn on your balding pate is bad enough - sunburnt eyes are seriously unpleasant.

My father spent many years working in the sun when he was young - now he's had so many skin cancers removed from head\face\arms - and now even his eyesight is quite marginal from sun damage - its a force not to be messed with.

He was always going on about covering up when we were kids - now we see why with the impact its had on him some 20-30 years on.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I wear sunglasses with my fedora - it's a cool look. I do it to be showy - not for any health benefit. If it so happens I live longer, all the better. Practicality and I aren't the closest of friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails