Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HATS WITH HISTORY

SMUPhil

New in Town
http://imgur.com/a/2kOLd

Found this Resistol at a local thrift store for $3. 7 3/8, which is my size, and I'd been wanting a straw western so I was thrilled to snag it. Looked dirty on the outside/top but the inside was flawless. Was able to clean up the top a decent amount with a damp cloth. Anyway, you can see inside that the hat was made for the Levis Raleigh Race Team which was a professional cycling team in the 80's. I tried googling for pics of the team to see if the hat was in any of them, but no luck.

Shoot, your eye is better than mine. I can't tell that's a bound edge on the photo of Frawley. Well, it came with a COA, and as with many props, it might be a hat he wore, not the hat.

Anyhoo, I just followed my own link to see the pic, and somebody has scooped it up. $1,999.99.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
This top hat belonged to Edmundo M. Narancio, former president of the "Instituto Histórico y Geográfico del Uruguay" and also former minister for education and culture from Uruguay.
20150803_144808_LLS.jpg

20150803_144822_LLS.jpg

20150803_144919.jpg

20150803_144938.jpg

20150803_145136.jpg

20150803_145152.jpg

I was browsing through "The American Hatter" and came across this. No image, however I thought it was interesting. Wonder what ever came of it.

The American hatter. v. 31 (Feb.-July 1902)
View attachment 67572
Very interesting story. In 1902 the event was still part of the Country's collective memory. Even more than today. This hat does not show up in any museum collections of Lincoln artifacts, and there are many. My thoughts are that it has been passed down through the family who purchased it over the years. I can't imagine that it has been totally lost, but it may be in an attic, forgotten by the current generation. Sounds like a great story for the History Detectives on PBS!

Tonio

A-List Customer
This appears to corroborate the description of the Booth hat. An eyewitness account of Joseph H. Hazleton (1853-1936), stage and film Actor, appearing in 30 films between 1912 and 1922. As a boy, he gave out programs to attendees at Ford's Theatre.

Accounts of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln
by Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, Published 1909
Booth2JPG.JPG

This is probably more of an accurate representation compared to most of the images you'll see online of him with a suit and tie on.
us.JPG

Attachments

• Booth2JPG.JPG
    Booth2JPG.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
This hat does not show up in any museum collections of Lincoln artifacts, and there are many. My thoughts are that it has been passed down through the family who purchased it over the years.
In my view the two descriptions of the hat Booth was supposedly wearing are not that similar as to properly identify it. Both were written some 40+ yrs after the assassination. It may be that the auction hat was not accepted as being authentic. There certainly was opportunity for Booth to have lost his hat at the Ford Theater, Mary Surratt's boarding house, at the house of Dr. Mudd, or even the Garrett farm. The question would be where was the auction hat recovered from?

RJR

In my view the two descriptions of the hat Booth was supposedly wearing are not that similar as to properly identify it. Both were written some 40+ yrs after the assassination. It may be that the auction hat was not accepted as being authentic. There certainly was opportunity for Booth to have lost his hat at the Ford Theater, Mary Surratt's boarding house, at the house of Dr. Mudd, or even the Garrett farm. The question would be where was the auction hat recovered from?
+1

Picked this hat up awhile back from a non-eBay site. Thanks to one of our historians, Carouselvic, I found out the following info on the hats previous owner. Interesting fellow.This is what the hat looked like when i got it.
cimg1680-jpg.51288

CIMG2944.JPG
CIMG2945.JPG
CIMG2946.JPG
CIMG2947.JPG
CIMG2948.JPG
CIMG2949.JPG
CIMG2950.JPG
CIMG2951.JPG

This is the band and pins that came with the hat. All Sterling silver.
CIMG2952.JPG

Mr. Wulsin was part of the Ranchero Visitadores. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/rarcheros-visitadores-1951-w-graphics-by-joe-de-yong.62898/
xAEHM9.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...28oZxtnLg2b_ULptV0dyTg&bvm=bv.150729734,d.eWE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana