Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats-your early years

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Anyone else have some hat pictures from your youth. Maybe from the 70's:D
mebg1.png

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I might be able to find some from the late 80', my late teenage years. Bono from the rock band U2 was a big influence. I don't know if I want to reveal or revisit my appearance at that time of my life. I look back with shame. What if my children ever found out? My wife knew me back then, and I sometimes find her giggling about it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was an avid hat collector in my youth, starting in the mid-60s. When I was 14, I did an oral report for school about hats. My dad, the pro photographer, shot me in various costumes to illustrate different hats and add a few laughs:

The Politician - a gorgeous Stetson derby I had just bought brand new for about $5 when a local menswear shop had a going-out-of-business sale:
local_politician.jpg

The Master Detective - a deerstalker some vacationing family friends had brought back for me from England:
master_detective.jpg

The Flying Ace - a mint WWII-surplus leather helmet that I had gotten for a dollar(!) a few years earlier at the amazing Marine Specialties store in Provincetown, MA. (I was just there again this summer: it's still a must-visit!):
flying_ace.jpg

The Big Game Hunter - a cheap wool safari hat knockoff that I had mail-ordered from an ad in Boy's Life for about $6:
big_game_hunter.jpg

You can probably tell that my avatar picture is also from this series: Man About Town - a fantastic, barely used Stetson homburg I got for $5 at a thrift shop in ritzy Bronxville. I also had shots of a chef's toque, straw boater, artist's beret, army helmet, and several others.

I still have most of these hats, but the years haven't been kind to them - for example, the leather flying helmet is totally dried out and flaking apart. Oh well, they're all two sizes too small for me now anyway.

Bassman

A-List Customer
As we continue to hijack this thread...
I also lived in Park Slope. 3rd St between 6th and 7th Ave., one side of 8th Ave. between 1st St. and Garfield Place, the the other side of 8th Ave. between 1st St. and Garfield Place and also on Fiske Place between Garfield and Carrol.
And now back to our regularly scheduled hat pix?

just_me

Practically Family
It was a long time ago, but let me think -

I lived for a short time in an apt. on Prospect Park West.

Then my friends and I rented several brownstones -
  • 10th street bet. 8 Avenue and PPW
  • 9th st. bet. 7 ave. and 8 ave.
  • 9th st. near (I think) 5th ave.
The last place I lived at in Park Slope was in the only single family house surround by apartments on Prospect Ave. We called it The Palatial Biffy Estate. :D

Back to the actual thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot