Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatter Art Fawcett

Engr-Chas

Familiar Face
Greetings,
I recently went to meet Art Fawcett at his shop in Rodeo. He worked on a couple of hats of mine and I wanted to pick them up and meet the man, the legend, the innovator in person.

He welcomed me into his shop and we had a nice long chat while he worked on the hat of a lounge member. His shop consists of some very nice vintage equipment and he took the time to explain each tools function to me. 100's of blocks are shelved along the walls. I asked him a million questions and he answered them all.

I learned soo much in the 3 hours that I was there! He gave me the nickel tour and no matter where you turn, there are hat everywhere! He showed me the infamous Charles Howard Penny's Marathon hat, too cool! I saw his Streamliner and Colegiate hats in person, very innovative.

I can't wait until I go back in a few weeks to pick up more of my hats that he is working on and to drop off some more that need his TLC.

Thank you Sir, for taking the time to show me your craft.

Charles (Engr-Chas)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Good to see you on Saturday, Art...hope you were able to enlist some help in getting all the new stock sorted and shelved! (jp, get down there! The poor guy is drowning in ribbon!)

Art is an old world craftsman in every sense of the word. I'd venture to say master craftsman, his work is outstanding.

I just picked up a family heirloom that from him had seen better days, it now looks colse to new in and out. It's a black velour/velvet finished fedora from what we can best guess would be the early '20s. Very wide band and ribbon, no liner, beautiful felt. No guard hairs whatsoever in the crown. Incredibly well made. Art did a historical restoration, putting in an unmarked liner and a new band, duplicating the ribbon and even putting the bow in at the back of the headband. I wouldn't trust it to anyone else!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I spent 4 hours with Art when my wife and I visited last month and it still wasn't long enough. I wish I could make the trip more often. I've never seen so many fedora's in one place.

regards fedoralover

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Roger,
as you know I rejected the felts I received and as yet haven't received the new 80/20 nutrias yet but UPS left a note on the door today ( we are closed Mondays) that I found when I went in tonight to work. HOPE it's my felts!! I can't wait!! I'll put the colors on the Lounge as soon as I am OK with them.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sharptoys, I didn't order any that color ( not an option for now) but can get them from another source. I'll get on the phone tomorrow. I DID order a number of browns that I thought were very interesting and different. Now, if they would only GET here.
Yes, tapping fingers & toes, face starting to turn red...

Thanks MD, I've been working late evenings so didn't get a chance to call or email. I'm glad you like it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy