Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hatters in Mexico?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
I'm wondering if anyone here is aware of a good hatter in Mexico. Not the guys who weave Panamas in the caves -- just someone who can block or restore a vintage lid, replace a sweat band or ribbon, etc.

Speaking of which: can ribbon replacement be entrusted to any good seamstress? And trimming the edge of a brim with grosgrain? (The former I could almost pull off on my own; the latter I wouldn't try myself, but I'm thinking perhaps a local tailor?)

Sargon

Familiar Face
Not a threadjack - Really!!

I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, more of a comment and another question, but this seemed a good place to put it. I was watching A Quantum of Solace the other day and noticed a great many people in Bolivia I think wearing hats. This makes me think there must be a living thriving hat making industry in South America. I know Mexico is not in South America or even Central but perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone?

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Thanks Portolan!

And Sargon, there are certainly a number of indigenous tribes in South America who wear fedoras as part of their daily dress. I don't know the origins of the tradition, and I know nothing about the type of hats they wear: whether they are fur or wool felt, etc. They are definitely western fedoras, however.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Visigoth said:
I'm wondering if anyone here is aware of a good hatter in Mexico. Not the guys who weave Panamas in the caves -- just someone who can block or restore a vintage lid, replace a sweat band or ribbon, etc...

I've been spending a lot of time in the EDO of Coahuila. I see them all over the place. All the major towns and cities seem to have hatters. If you are in Saltillo just ask around.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I know that there are hat manufacturers in South America but I dont know of any hat stores left that cater to mens felt hats. I think that there are probably a few decent ones left in the major cities . In Buenos Ares there was one left that was owned by Lagomarsino . In Mexico city there is Tardan but I dony know what they sell. Perhaos some of our south american members can take some pictures of hat stores down in South America.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Visigoth

A-List Customer
As I say, what I'm really looking for is someone who can do competent work sewing ribbons, and trim, and sweatbands. I won't actually be *buying* any hats, I imagine.

(I don't really buy new hats.)

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Panamabob said:
I'm glad it is in Pesos. That makes it a very good price.

The origin of the Dollar symbol may reside with the Peso.

The Peso Abbreviation and Piece of Eight Theories
However, a more widely accepted theory nowadays is that the sign owes its origins to the Spanish peso.

One version of this theory is that the standard abbreviation of "peso" was simply "P", but the plural form was a large "P" with a small "s" above it and to its right. This was simplified by retaining only the upward stroke of the "P" and superimposing the "S" upon it. Hence the symbol of the dollar.

See:

Dreyfuss, Henry Symbol source book : an authoritative guide to international graphic symbols. New York : McGraw-Hill, 1972.

If the peso abbreviation theory is the correct one why is the US dollar sign sometimes written with two vertical strokes? A possible explanation is that the best known Spanish Peso coin had two pillars engraved on the reverse side to symbolise the "Pillars of Hercules" at Gibraltar and the words "Plus Ultra" indicating that beyond the Pillars of Hercules there were other lands. That coin was called the Pillar Dollar in the British colonies in North America and the two pillars may have become the two strokes in the Dollar sign.

For brief information on the "Pillar Dollar" see:

Nussbaum, Arthur A history of the dollar. New York : Columbia U.P., 1957.

There is another version of the theory linking the sign to the Spanish peso. As mentioned earlier the peso was subdivided into eight reals, hence the name piece of eight. This was represented as P8 or /8/. Eventually it became customary to write the oblique strokes across the figure 8. In the past precious metal coins were sometimes split into pieces to provide small change. The use in America of the expression two bits for 25 cents is a legacy of this since if a Spanish dollar or peso or piece of eight was split into quarters each part would consist of two of the original eight pieces or reals.

The 8 with two strokes became a letter S with two strokes since S looks like an 8 that has been split, as when a peso was broken to provide change in reals. Eventually a further simplification was introduced by dropping one of the strokes.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Bolivian Bowlers

Sargon said:
I don't have an answer for you unfortunately, more of a comment and another question, but this seemed a good place to put it. I was watching A Quantum of Solace the other day and noticed a great many people in Bolivia I think wearing hats. This makes me think there must be a living thriving hat making industry in South America. I know Mexico is not in South America or even Central but perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone?

Those bowler hats that the chola women wear are imported Borsalinos I understand ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL