Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian dresses

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AnnaMaria said:
I suddenly remembered this place though http://equilter.com/. Most of the Hawaiian print fabrics I found there is barkcloth. I’m not sure what that is guessing it’s not what I’m looking for.

Yeah, barkcloth won't work. It's too course and heavy - it's kindof like lightweight upholstery fabric :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BegintheBeguine said:
Cool. But after posting my long thread, I realized my Hawaiian dresses are mostly shifts or gowns, not shapely sarong-y Whirling Turban-type styles. [huh] Still, I gotta borrow a camera. And look through some boxes. :)

Well that's ok, they don't all have to be bombshell-like. Who wants a closet full of the same dress?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lyburnum said:
s4559.jpg

Great pattern, I think Goldwyn Girl has made the same one. What's the pattern number?

EDIT: NEVERMIND, I just found it on ebay in my size for $12. How is it to make, is it difficult?

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I don't know if this counts, but this is my go-to Hawaiian two piece that I made. I need to remake it though as it is getting pretty ratty.

Try to ignore the look of constipation. Hahahaha
P1060845b.jpg

Oh, that is so cute!!

I've found a few very reasonably priced vintage Hawaiian dresses at the vintage shops in Berkeley and San Francisco, but none of them flattered my figure. My curvy, dream dress at a local vintage shop had a hefty $200+ price tag! :eek: Sad...

epr25

Practically Family
Ok I took some photos of the two Shaheen items I have. The blue one was the one I was referring to earlier in the post. I found it at a small town thrift shop. Please ignore that I glowing white. We haven;t seen the sun around here for awhile. The other is an odd tunic type thing. I have a magazine from the late 50's that has this style in it being worn with capri pants and flats. I am undecided is I am going to sell this or not? But I found it at Salvation Army about a year ago for $2.99.

100_3571.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3572.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3573.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3574.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3567.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3568.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3569.jpg
[/IMG]

Daisy Buchanan

lyburnum said:
I made this dress:

IMG_6416.jpg

Out of this pattern:

s4559.jpg

It's now out of print, but you can still find it on eBay (bit pricey some of them though, glad I found it when I did)

As you can see, I'm wearing it with pumps, but they have a 1" wedge in the back. I probably wouldn't wear the dress with flats.

That is soooo adorable!! I LOVE the fabric!!

lyburnum

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Great pattern, I think Goldwyn Girl has made the same one. What's the pattern number?

EDIT: NEVERMIND, I just found it on ebay in my size for $12. How is it to make, is it difficult?

It was a while ago so I can't be certain, but I don't think it was too difficult. Not dead easy or a beginners piece, but also not advanced in any way. It only took me a day or so to throw together, so it can't have been that complicated.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lyburnum said:
It was a while ago so I can't be certain, but I don't think it was too difficult. Not dead easy or a beginners piece, but also not advanced in any way. It only took me a day or so to throw together, so it can't have been that complicated.

Thanks for the info. I'd love to make it with a contrasting fabric for the ties and the underside of the waterfall piece on the skirt.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
epr25 said:
Ok I took some photos of the two Shaheen items I have. The blue one was the one I was referring to earlier in the post. I found it at a small town thrift shop. Please ignore that I glowing white. We haven;t seen the sun around here for awhile. The other is an odd tunic type thing. I have a magazine from the late 50's that has this style in it being worn with capri pants and flats. I am undecided is I am going to sell this or not? But I found it at Salvation Army about a year ago for $2.99.

Epr, I love both of them. Great finds and definitely both steals!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
When it comes to hawaiian dresses, I can't say no! I have a Kamehameha sarong with the bolero, a Peggy Wood sarong with the sash, an off brand with a full skirt, a no name dress with full skirt, and a Shaheen with the sash. I didn't pay over $100 for any of them and all but two are from eBay. The moral of the story is is diligence + patience = success!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ms. McGraw said:
When it comes to hawaiian dresses, I can't say no! I have a Kamehameha sarong with the bolero, a Peggy Wood sarong with the sash, an off brand with a full skirt, a no name dress with full skirt, and a Shaheen with the sash. I didn't pay over $100 for any of them and all but two are from eBay. The moral of the story is is diligence + patience = success!

worthless.gif

lyburnum

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Thanks for the info. I'd love to make it with a contrasting fabric for the ties and the underside of the waterfall piece on the skirt.

It's a great pattern, I'd definitely like to make it again in a different fabric when I get the time (and I get through all my other 'to do' patterns!)

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Ok KittyT, ask and ye shall receive! Pardon, the easter egg over my head, my make up is off and the hair is in a pony tail.
This is a no name, but it was my very first hawaiian so I love it:
dress5.jpg

I love this one on, but it does look better when my bra straps aren't showing!:eusa_doh:
dress1.jpg

This one was deadstock when I bought it:
dress2.jpg

and with the bolero:
dress2B.jpg

This one still needs tailored since it's a little big but the cameo by my puppy Misha makes up for it I think!
dress3.jpg

I'm sad the gold didn't photographer well, but it's very nice in person:
dress4.jpg

By the way, can anyone please tell me how to make my pictures smaller? I've tried resizing them in photoshop and in photobucket and the are still GIANT! Sorry about that!

Miss_Bella_Hell

epr25 said:

100_3568.jpg
[/IMG]

100_3569.jpg
[/IMG]

I really love the last one! If you sell it.... ;) Let me know!

D

Deleted member 3716

Just saw a Vivien Of Holloway dress very similiar in style to the Whirling Turban Shaheen dress while i was on my lunch.
It was in a chinese print but perhaps they come in Hawaiian print?
Definetely a cheaper option anyway....

The Shirt

Practically Family
DPD - go post that pic in the Ladies of the Lounge thread - right this minute! I think the fellows need to be aware of this kitten.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
Oh...I love that dress! Is it from the last time round? I can't wait for Dixiefried to start up again as I really like that dress!
Yes. I wasn't aware that Dixie Fried was starting up again. This is good news!
The dress was a good price. There is no boning but if you get the right fit it looks lovely and very structured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart