Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian dresses

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
retrogirl1941 said:
She said she is 5"5 and they hit at ankle length. For us leggier gals, they would be like knee length or something!:mad: Capris were not done during WWII were they? I wish they were.....

Samantha

I know they had culottes.

rosierawhyde

New in Town
Sold it

Josephine said:
Tell us more about the construction of the sarong/what it looks like/pictures and we (ok, not me, but others here :)) might be able to tell you if it's 50s or 80s does 50s.

Well, I put it back on on EBay Friday and it sold :)

I thought about it and figured it was probably a better thing to let it go to someone else in its natural state than to try to change it and possibly ruin it!!

Thank you all so very much!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I just purchased a hawaiian dress, this thread inspired me. It is more thank likely an 80's dress, couldnt find any info on the brand, Shirley of Atlanta.
goofy035.jpg

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So lovely!

lyburnum said:
I made this dress:

IMG_6416.jpg

Out of this pattern:

s4559.jpg

It's now out of print, but you can still find it on eBay (bit pricey some of them though, glad I found it when I did)

As you can see, I'm wearing it with pumps, but they have a 1" wedge in the back. I probably wouldn't wear the dress with flats.
I'm emailing your picture to Theresa, she'll be proud of you!

ehappy

Familiar Face
Pretty!

pretty faythe said:
I just purchased a hawaiian dress, this thread inspired me. It is more thank likely an 80's dress, couldnt find any info on the brand, Shirley of Atlanta.
goofy035.jpg

Pretty faythe, From the Atlanta Journal....

The company was called Shirley of Atlanta after their sister, Shirley Blass Weitz of Savannah. Sylvan Makover was chief executive officer and chairman of Shirley of Atlanta's and he died in 2005 at the age of 81.

:) I can find reference to their clothing ads from the mid-60's to 80's but yours does look like an 80's dress, and regardless you look fantastic in it!

CAL-NOIR

Vendor
Cal-Noir of Hollywood Repro's

Thank you Blondie for giving folks a 'heads up' about us !:)

Edited to comply with FL policy...see below post for clarification.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sadly...-you- cannot plug them at all...

Other people have recommended...thats allowed...but we don't allow vendors to sell in the main forum areas.

If you want to support the site, contact MK and become a sponsor/vendor and that gets you access to the Merchants page where you -can- announce new things with your business.

CAL-NOIR

Vendor
Woah...

I didn't actually join this forum to plug our company , i was just saying thank you to someone ...consider my wrists well & truly slapped !

I see iv'e been classified as a 'Vendor' too .

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Please don't consider it a wrist slapping.

I left your thank you up, and only removed the other info. Since I understand you wanted to thank her.

There are tons of folks who, like you, did not join to plug things, who are also marked as vendors. It's just how it works.

hawaiian fabrics

I've made several things from Hawaiian Fabrics .com- they have the best selection I've ever seen and the quality is excellent.

I'm so excited to see Artful Dodgette in her WT dress! Golly good choice! (yours not mine!) I'm just a girl who does nothing but make dresses. I suppose I'm going to get labeled "vendor"- it's going to feel like I am a stalking mercenary. I will try to live with my "scarlet letter" and not feel 'ashamed'.:eusa_doh:

I have definitely noticed that even on ebay you can get a bargain on a Shaheen. You just have to keep looking so that you know the prices and bide your time and grab when the getting is good. And don't buy anywhere near Viva Las Vegas season!

I mean you are not going to get it on ebay for $5 but you might get it for $100! rather than 2-3 hundred.

I LOVE that faux Chinese side slit Shaheen someone posted back there in this thread! FAB- u-lus with narrow pants! But then I just *adore* Shaheen. What a dream team they had at that company- the pattern maker and the fabric designers were ***incredible***.

I also want to say- with my (orig) Shaheen, which is one of those with the shoulder sash, I wear black professional dance fishnets. They are about $22 bucks from Danskin or Capezio and are completely different from the cheap ones you usually find. They are completely elasticized, always define your legs whereas the cheap "regular" ones tend to take some of the curves about of your legs because they don't really cling. And they are pretty much indestructible. They are super flattering.

Well, it's almost 11 in Bali. See you guys next time!

K/ wt

michael miller fabrics

Retro Queen just let me know about this fabric source: http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com

She sent me some of their fabric and I was so impressed because it is screen- printed (I am pretty sure) and has eleven colors! That is very labor-intensive! It is a great design with just wonderful colors and ultra nice quality cotton. And the printing is exact and beautiful.

It is one of my fondest wishes to screen print my own fabric someday. Alfred Shaheen attributes his success to his ability to screen print his own fabrics. By doing that he could always have just enough of whatever was selling, not worrying about over-ordering something in advance that might not sell, not have to worry about shipping delays or the supply getting cut off. (This is post WWII when people were just getting over the problem of not being able to get things.) And then of course he made more incredible fabric designs with his in-house people than he ever could have found elsewhere! It seems like an ecstatically good time to me to be able to create screen-printed fabrics!

I just now found this fabric on their site:

http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com...?Popup=46&PageNum_query=3&Gnam=Asian Inspired.

I hope that link works. The fabric is called "geisha tale". Some of my favorite vintage Hawaiian dresses and fabrics (and shirts for that matter) came from Japanese motifs. It seems like it is often too much to ask for modern companies to get their colors right when they are going for that vintage palette but this company seems to really get it!

They don't have much of anything now in Hawaiians or so it seems but they definitely have some lovely vintage inspired choices! Wish I was closer to them so I could order to my heart's content!

Katherine

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Shirts

WT, from what I see of your dresses, I think you ought to start a Hawaiian shirt line! I tend to obsess violently over my Hawaiian shirts, and every summer I have to add one or two to my collection. I was very fascinated to learn recently how they originated from Japanese laborers in Hawaii recycling worn out silk kimonos into work shirts. Anyhow, if you do start a line of shirts I'll be your first customer. And BTW, if your avatar is a remotely accurate image of you, you're automatically bounced to the head of the (very long) line of my favorite Fedora Lounge mega babes. ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just got this dress at a local vintage shop for $19 (!!). It's by Carol & Mary of Hawaii, has a shelf bust and metal zip. Any knowledge about the brand? Any thoughts as to value? It's a bit big in the waist but fits well otherwise. Also, WHAT A GREAT FIND ME! :)
0705091602.jpg
0705091602a.jpg
0705091603.jpg

This is what the colors actually look like:
0705091603a.jpg
0705091604.jpg
0705091604a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats