Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Headwind Aviatrix Amelia Earhart Jacket

Changeling67

New in Town
ear1.JPG
A few weeks ago I ordered one of these new Headwind Amelia Earhart jackets, a replica of her often seen short flight jacket. Not having her figure I had to go for the mans version, the Aviator. These jackets are made with Capeskin, which I look forward to comparing with my Horsehide A2. Has anyone here on the forum bought one of these jackets already? as it would be interesting to hear what you thought of the jacket. View attachment 189938
Avi-Back.jpg
View attachment 189938

Deacon211

One Too Many
I had one of the earlier 37j1’s that Headwind made in goatskin.

The goat was quite thin, which was appropriate from what I understand for the original jacket and resembles capeskin.

The thin hide gives it the feel of a “leather shirt” and that is how I have heard most people who are not jacket aficionados describe it. This makes it a very soft and comfortable jacket for those warmer days when a “standard” A-2 or G-1 might be too warm.

It’s a good arrow to have in your jacket quiver and I think you’ll like the way it feels...providing it fits well of course.

Congrats on the new jacket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
I special ordered ours in goat, Jay's working on it shortly.
I looked at many photos of the original, as worn by Amelia,
and to me... It just didn't drape like capeskin. Hence why
I went with the goatskin.

Changeling67

New in Town
HT-NationalArchives_Amelia-Plane-rc-170705_4x3_992.jpg
ae-with-rdf-1937-3.jpg
ShanghaiJack That`s interesting as I had thought myself that it looked like goatskin in the grain of the sleeves in some of the photographs, I wonder if there will be a standard choice of capeskin or goatskin in the future.In some earlier photos of her jacket it looks very dark and it looks lighter in a lot of later photos but as we know goatskin keeps it colour well compared to other hides where the top coat thins to show lighter undertones more easily.

Last edited:

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Changeling67: Great photos!

Some have speculated that she acquired that infamous jacket as
early as 1932. And after putting 5 years of wear on it would certainly
have an effect on the finish. Not to mention all of the various environmental,
camera quality, film developing, and lighting issues with B/W photography
in the 1930's Era that could change how the jacket wear is captured on film.

Hell.. I'd like to see one made of pebbly horsehide in dark russet just to see
how it compares to the original.

Good Wear Leather's drop dead gorgeous "Electra" jacket was made in Horween
Espresso Horsehide, and it looks every bit the original, IMHO.

SecurityAviation_Electra.jpg

Changeling67

New in Town
ShanghaiJack, That Goodwear Electra looks fantastic, never seen it before. Regarding Amelia`s jacket I have seen either the photo I posted with the B--plane or another with that jacket,captioned as the 1st of January 1932, so if correct probably made in 1931.Headwinds jacket now has a few tweaks for authenticity such as deeper trianglar pocket flaps as shown in the attached photo and a new label and Talon fan puller on the hookless zipper.
New Pocket.jpg
Talon Hookless.jpg
SAT.jpg

Skyhawk

Vendor
Hey Guys, I went back and forth on the hide question with her jacket. In the end both me and John Chapman from Good Wear agree that the jacket was Capeskin. My conclusion has to do with a few things.
#1 the drape in this photo. Never have I seen Goatskin that flexible on a relatively new jacket. The hide is very soft:
Earhart-jacket-frt.png

#2 - Some Capeskin does look like this. There can be a lot of variation with grain on hides. How it is processed can greatly effect the amount of grain. There are variations on the same hide and from batch to batch. Here is an example of our Capeskin with an area of grain that matches her jacket closely. Of particular note is the long fingerprint like lines that run under the grain:
Amelia-Grain-2-reduced.jpg

grain-2.jpg

download (9).jpg

Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

Changeling67

New in Town
Yes I can see the likeness in the grain with the samples and her jacket and in that photo I posted in this thread of her standing by the plane you can see a lot of drape when the jacket is still looking very new circa early 1932.

CBI

One Too Many
Great looking jacket Jay. Yes, that Good Wear Electra is a jacket I have asked John Chapman to make me a few times over the years but he told me it needed more "development"

Skyhawk

Vendor
Thanks!
Yes it is a tough jacket to get details on. We only mostly have the photos. I discovered a bunch of hi res images in her papers at Purdue University. That was an exciting find and helped nail down some details. One thing that others missed on their versions is the gusseted arm pit feature similar to a G-1 Jacket. I initially spotted that in this photo, later confirmed by the photos in the papers:
AAI Details.jpg

Skyhawk

Vendor
For you Amelia Earhart fans, Dr. Robert Ballard, who found the Titanic, explores the mystery of her disappearance on NATGEO tonight. Not yet known whether he found her plane or not, or even if he definitely solved the mystery. Guess we will find out tonight.

I have been following the expedition. They have announced the findings and you can read about it here if you don't mind a spoiler before the airing of the documentary.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ing-clue-marks-end-amelia-earhart-expedition/

Regards,
Jay

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
For you Amelia Earhart fans, Dr. Robert Ballard, who found the Titanic, explores the mystery of her disappearance on NATGEO tonight. Not yet known whether he found her plane or not, or even if he definitely solved the mystery. Guess we will find out tonight.

If the mystery had been solved we would have heard about it from many sources.

Skyhawk

Vendor
There's some interesting evidence being tested right now and we may know something new in a few months. It could very well solve the mystery.

-Jay

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
I'm really interested to get one of this Aviatrix jacket for my wife, but looking the size chart, her best fit seems to fall in between two sizes. Anyone knows if Good Wear do custom make by measures?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm really interested to get one of this Aviatrix jacket for my wife, but looking the size chart, her best fit seems to fall in between two sizes. Anyone knows if Good Wear do custom make by measures?

Even if Goodwear did make this jacket is waiting 5 years for it to arrive your cup of tea?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB