Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hello, Everyone. Looking for a G-1.

Steve W.

New in Town
Hello. I've been out of action for 10 months, in a nursing home and on dialysis. No access to a computer.

Well, I'm staring to look for a good, currently made G-1. I have been looking at the Lost Worlds very closely. Not cheap. Do they live up to their reputation? and price?
Now, the Eastman company shows a nice M422A with the original color lining. And an interesting G-1. What do you think of the Eastmans compared to the LW's?

Well, it's good to be back. Steve W.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yes, there are a lot of good originals G-1s out there. But you need to be built correctly to wear them. The military spec G-1 fit assumes you are a perfect V-shape, with zero extra padding around the waist.

number6

Familiar Face
m422a

I have an Eastman M422a, great practical jacket, but other comments are correct , fit is slim.

Paul.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've never owned one, but I understand that original M-422a jackets were cut larger in the gut and are longer than G-1s. I can also tell you from personal experience that D and C series G-1s were very slimly cut....even more so than the E-series G-1s currently being issued.

AF

Orlan

Familiar Face
number6 said:
I have an Eastman M422a, great practical jacket, but other comments are correct , fit is slim.

Paul.

I have an Eastman M422a too. It's highly, and very confortable to wear.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have owned several M-422a jackets over the years (I still own one) and my experience is the opposite - mine showed more waist supression than the later G-1 jackets I have owned.

I have just measured my M-422a and armpit to armpit (measured flat and outside) is 20" and across the waist is 16" - that's a waist suppression of 8" overall. Definitely V-shape. Maybe the bigger sizes have less waist suppression - they often do - but I've never measured one.

I agree that the early series G-1s have a slimmer cut - military jackets from the 1990s and before usually do.

Atticus Finch said:
I've never owned one, but I understand that original M-422a jackets were cut larger in the gut and are longer than G-1s. I can also tell you from personal experience that D and C series G-1s were very slimly cut....even more so than the E-series G-1s currently being issued.

AF

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless you are a very large size, I would recommend buying an original on Ebay. You can pick up decent originals for much less than the price of a modern repro. But if you are a size 48 or larger you will struggle to find an original which fits so it will have to be a repro.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
aswatland said:
Unless you are a very large size, I would recommend buying an original on Ebay. You can pick up decent originals for much less than the price of a modern repro. But if you are a size 48 or larger you will struggle to find an original which fits so it will have to be a repro.

This is true. I wear a size 46R civilian dress jacket. All of my original G-1s (except one) are size 48...and they can all be snug in the gut, depending on if I have recently gained or lost five pounds.

AF

Steve W.

New in Town
My gut!

Well, thanks for the advice. Since I have been on dialysis, I have dropped 10 waist sizes to 36. But I think my other measurements are the same. I bought the Buzz naval jacket (with clips) because they had a size 48 at a deep discount. It fits fine, except the arms are much too long. I can live with it.

I'm going to remeasure myself for sure.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925