Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! finding a navy overcoat

Eckharti

Banned
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a navy double breasted overcoat in nice heavy wool, but cannot seem to find anything. Where should I look?

Ralph Lauren has one but it is not an attractive cut and it is expensive. Brooks does not have anything either.

I would love melton wool but wonder is lambswool durable?

Much Love to anyone that can help

Graemsay

Practically Family
Crombie do three, but they're not cheap. They'll probably be in the sales after Christmas, so you might pick up a deal then, and being outside of the EU you should save the VAT.
The last one isn't navy, but it's far cooler than the other two. :)

The other thing to do is hunt down a small tailor's shop, and see what they'll charge. If you're not bothered about the label then you'd probably get a better coat for the same money as Ralph Lauren or whoever charge, and it'll be made to measure and to your exact specifications.

The only problem is that a tailor will make it very clear when you want something that he or she doesn't think works...

Eckharti

Banned
Thank you gentlemen! Does Crombie have the sales on their own website?

I wish there were more American brands that made coats, well, ideally Canadian.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
But a pea coat isn't an overcoat. They're not cut large enough (or long enough) for wearing over a suit coat or sportjacket.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pea coat (a Sterlingwear Classic that I'm wearing today!), but the armholes are pretty tight just over a sweater.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Thank you gentlemen! Does Crombie have the sales on their own website?

No idea, but I'd expect they do. They've got stores in the big British cities these days, so I'd guess that there's a stock control system wiring it all up.

Check their website after Christmas Day is my advice.

Eckharti

Banned
Thanks guys, all the help has been great! If anyone knows of any other possible brands though dont be shy...The VAT on even a sale priced Crombie is steep.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello guys,
I have a STERLINGWEAR AUTHENTIC peacoat size 42 (actually on sale on Ebay) and it's fine with my suits (size 40) or a sweater.
The peacoat is 1 inch longer than the suits jackets so it's match well.
Cheers,
F68

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have a very nice heavy cashmere navy overcoat from Hickey Freeman that was custom tailored for my grandfather who is on the heavier side. It is very heavy and the cashmere is flexible enough that it doesnt wrinkle my suits. I took it to a tailor that makes very fine men's suits and had him re-cut it for me. It fits like a charm, looks new, and cost under 300.00. You may want to see if you can find something good that is used and go a similar route. Since I've found an excellent tailor, a whole new world of possibilities has opened up that are suddenly within my budget.

Eckharti

Banned
I am so new to vintage shopping that I would be lost. I choose new out of necessity--plus, there arent many nice vintage shops for men in my parts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran