Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me name the A-2

RayR

One of the Regulars
The main character Jake in Tales of The Gold Monkey wore an A-2 that was purchased 2nd hand from a shop in LA. It is a little unusual
Can YOU help me figure out who made it?

Its:
Dark brown seal color or possibly black
It has the usual snap sown collar and 1-piece back
The 2 front pockets have HAND WARMERS
The interior isn't cotton but one of those Map Linings (I think it's a map)
It seams to be made of Horse/Steer.or goat...but it could be lamb. It just doesnt look smooth enough.

Here are a few shots I've been able to find:

j2.jpg

J1.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

I would love to get your thoughts and observations. :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
This came up on another site ages ago- the jackets were supposedly A2s purchased by the designer from a store in Long Beach called the "Quartermaster". It looks like an Avirex, in other words a generic A2 style. It has side handwarmer pockets - not seen on military A2's and it has a blood chit on the back. I saw this show when if first came out - a network's (was it NBC?) attempt to cash in on the Raider's idea. Impossible to tell what leather but it seems to drape like lamb.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Long ago I had a "Quartermaster" brand A-2. Mine was dark seal brown goatskin (very lightweight hide) with a lighter brown nylon lining and side hand-warmer pockets....and yeah, I had sewn a Flying Tigers blood chit on the back :)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thor, interesting, was that jacket a TV show tie-in product from the era? And do you think it was an Avirex with some adjustments made for that store, perhaps? Surely Quartermaster had a some supplier produce their jackets.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Long ago I had a "Quartermaster" brand A-2. Mine was dark seal brown goatskin (very lightweight hide) with a lighter brown nylon lining and side hand-warmer pockets....and yeah, I had sewn a Flying Tigers blood chit on the back :)

That sounds very interesting. I wish I could find info on it. Google comes up blank.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Sad thing about those 80's Avirex is they all have split backs. Everything else looks fine...even the lining. But I honestly don't know if Jake had a split back under that chit or not. I never have seen a good enough shot of it. And I don't fancy myself wearing an A-2 with other than a 1-piece back.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I actually bought a blood chit from Avirex and had it sewn onto my QM A-2. The QM jackets were nearly identical to the LL Bean and Eddie Bauer 1980's A-2 jackets. They all had a one-piece back (as did Jake's on TOTGM). I was a big fan of the show so I studied all the details of the TV jacket and did my best (well, the best that a 15-year old teen with limited finances could do) to recreate the jacket from the show. That was the jacket and TV show that really got me hooked on leather flight jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sad thing about those 80's Avirex is they all have split backs. Everything else looks fine...even the lining. But I honestly don't know if Jake had a split back under that chit or not. I never have seen a good enough shot of it. And I don't fancy myself wearing an A-2 with other than a 1-piece back.

Hmm... given that the jacket isn't very accurate all round I'm not sure the back would matter, but I hear you. There are plenty of other options; Cooper A2's are very similar and have a one piece back. The show may well have used a Cooper - they were pretty plentiful in the 1980's. Thor's tip to go with LL Bean or Eddie Bauer sounds the way to go.

Last edited:

RayR

One of the Regulars
I actually bought a blood chit from Avirex and had it sewn onto my QM A-2. The QM jackets were nearly identical to the LL Bean and Eddie Bauer 1980's A-2 jackets. They all had a one-piece back (as did Jake's on TOTGM). I was a big fan of the show so I studied all the details of the TV jacket and did my best (well, the best that a 15-year old teen with limited finances could do) to recreate the jacket from the show. That was the jacket and TV show that really got me hooked on leather flight jackets.

Since it's confession time I'll tell you, Thor, I have a Banana Republic A-2 that I purchased because I was trying to get the look of Howling Mad Murdock from The A Team...my first A-2 inspiration. Turns out his jacket wasn't all that military spec either. But at least he was from the Viet Nam war so styles had changed.

The one I have is from the original Banana Republic when they were in Mill Valley, CA. At first I thought it was just a bit tight and the leather felt cheap and stiff. The distressed finish seemed like it could peal right off. But the cut and fit are the best on me and the most flattering of any authentic wartime or repro A-2 I have tried.

After a lot of Picards rubs, Vaseline rubs, and twisting, the leather is no worse than the Eastmans I have experienced and is looking very good. Sadly, it is a civilian A-2, meaning no hook at the collar and hand warmers. But I actually like the hand warmers, lol. There is a person on Etsy who will paint the Tiger face and DA NANG on back for a reasonable price, but now I want to keep it as a great everyday jacket.

I just Love it when a plan comes together ;)

a_j__s_h_m__murdock_jacket.jpg

Reactions: BGR

RayR

One of the Regulars
... The QM jackets were nearly identical to the LL Bean and Eddie Bauer 1980's A-2 jackets. They all had a one-piece back (as did Jake's on TOTGM). I was a big fan of the show so I studied all the details of the .

I just found 2 x 80's L L Beans that look right and in my size. Just have a different lining (no matter). They're goat, which is OK, certainly sturdy. I might give it a go.

thor

Call Me a Cab
You can snag one (in good/excellent condition) with the better-quality one-piece back for around $100. If you find one with the Thinsulate lining then go for it! They are the perfect "beater" jacket for grab-and-go occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot