Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP NEEDED from loungers outside USA

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
NEED HELP from loungers outside USA:

I'm a vintage music NUT, been collecting since I was a kid... here's one of my favorite discs, a recording by the great Jimmie Lunceford orchestra, after Jimmie's untimely death, under the direction of Joe Wilcox who tried his best to keep the band alive, before financial pressures made it impractical and the orchestra disbanded: This band, and the tracks I've heard them produce, is DYNAMITE; one of the true great "last gasps" of the swing band era of the 1930s-40s: Here are a couple of tracks I posted on my youtube channel ("that1940sguy") from the one original 78 rpm disc I have in my collection: (A friend of mine, "swingman1937", has another disc from this band he posted to his channel also, if you search youtube):

j_lunceford.jpg
. [video=youtube_share;XLXBI72GGYE]http://youtu.be/XLXBI72GGYE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;W7IpHnAoNVc]http://youtu.be/W7IpHnAoNVc[/video]

My request: After having wished I could find more of these for so many years, I was so glad to find last month a web link to the Entire Collection of these late-1940's Lunceford recordings on MP3! BUT... I am sticking to a strict "non-necessity" budget, and had already gone over for the month.... came back today and saw the message, "We’re sorry. This album is unavailable for download in your country (United States) at this time." AUUUUGH! AFter all these years of wanting to find this!!!... and it was only SIX Dollars (US $6), I should have just bought it!!...

Can someone outside the USA click this link and tell me if it Does, or Doesn't, show up as available for sale in your country, and what country you're in?:

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/albu...jazz-series-1948-1949/11439092/:ixzz1hefDo8FK

Thanks!!, this could help end a near-lifetime search to finally find more recordings of this outstanding band.

Regards,
- CH

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
All I get is "This item is unavailable" for both albums and individual .mp3s. Also, when I tried to sign up as a member with a dummy ID, it gave me a "bad link" page. :(

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Odd that a US company won't deal in the US. It could be a rights issue, who knows. Why not just shoot them an email and ask them? .

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Definitely a copyright issue -- there are a lot of "public domain" labels that issue US-recorded product only to overseas markets because the recordings are still legally protected in the United States. With the exception of Edison recordings and recordings made by the Government itself, no recordings of any kind will be genuinely public domain in the US until 2067, even if the company that originally made them is long out of business. Most foreign countries have different laws, and in many cases consider anything over fifty years old to be in the PD.

Last edited:

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
What was the name of the album you are trying to dwnload? It was just a blank e music page.

Thanks for looking. The name of the album according to the website is "Complete Jazz Series 1948 - 1949".

Here's a screenshot of the upper portion of the website I get when I click on the link in the US:

temp_lunceford.jpg

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
The site says that album is available to the UK, £8.40 - but clicking on the options to download the full album or individual songs all result in a "This item is unavailable" message.
Have you tried connecting via a non-US proxy server?

EDIT: that's a silly price to pay, the same MP3s are £4.99 on Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimmie-Luncefords-Orchestra-1948-1949/dp/B002618OLS

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Alright, when trying to follow the order process through till the actual purchase it's not working for me, either. I also get the "OOPs, item unavailable" message then.

But Methuselah's Amazon link is the cheaper alternative, anyway.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Thanks all who've looked - Methuselah, I'll try that Amazon UK link when I get home! Don't know if it will allow me to get it or not, since I'm a "USA customer". Fingers crossed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner